ELT Battery

BillTIZ

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
BTIZ
A question came up at the flying club. ELT Battery is due for replacement Spring '24, going into Annual in late December. Is this something we can accomplish under Part 43 Appendix A, (c) (24)? The item is generic "Replacing and servicing batteries". Does not specify aircraft main battery or component battery. My initial take is yes, we can. I want to look into it further to see what is actually required.

I suppose we could extend this thread to include changing the standby battery on G1000 systems, etc.

Looking for thoughts in the matter.

Long debate on this on Van's pilot forum. Depending on the unit, the manufacturer may state that they are the only ones qualified to replace. By such a statement the FAA may argue that any other person replacing it may mean the device is no longer considered airworthy, or some such legality.

The consensus seemed to be for an Ack 04 the battery must be changed by the mfgr, even on an experimental aircraft.

I didn't do the research so don't ask me l.

Looking for thoughts in the matter.
Yes it can be considered preventative maintenance per 43A(c) provided gaining access to or performing the battery replacement is not considered a complex task by definition. The initial version of the AC 91-44 posted above actually stated the same. As long as the ELT OEM provides a battery replacement instruction a pilot can replace the battery in accordance with that process and make the necessary record entries and sign-offs. However, if the 91.207 12 month inspection is due at the same time, that inspection must be performed by an A&P and signed off accordingly.

Back