ELT activates in a Portland brewpub; USAF shows up

I'm surprised the elt activated after all that time

It might have been the U.S Air Force Auxiliary, i.e. Civil Air Patrol, that came looking for the ELT, rather than the Air Force itself. Some of our uniforms look like Air Force uniforms, which could make confusion understandable.

Give battery a quick boost. Push button. Wait. Say oh gee, wonder what happened when the sky fuzz get there. Call story in to press. Free advertising. And it works. I’m gonna go there soon, probably today.

It might have been the U.S Air Force Auxiliary, i.e. Civil Air Patrol, that came looking for the ELT, rather than the Air Force itself. Some of our uniforms look like Air Force uniforms, which could make confusion understandable.

Must have been the CAP if it took a few weeks before they found it. They had to fill out paperwork, and then do their before start checklist in the van. Those take a week each.

No doubt. Survived a hard landing, spent ten years in the field, was transported from Canada to Portland, and finally went off in the bar and the battery lasted long enough (2 days) to locate it. Amazing.

If it was CAP...

Senior member : “So, cadets... it appears the signal is coming from this adult beverage establishment. You’ll need to wait outside while we adults perform an in-depth search inside. We could be awhile.”

Cadet: “Sir... here’s an extra bottle of water in case you get thirsty.”

Senior member: “Won’t be necessary.”

We had an ELT activate after several years in storage because the battery shorted out, melted, and subsequently shorted the activation circuit of the ELT.

Must have been the CAP if it took a few weeks before they found it. They had to fill out paperwork, and then do their before start checklist in the van. Those take a week each.
Our bureaucrats do require their pound of flesh, that's for sure!

Back