Eleven Planes Crash over the Weekend

1600vw

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
H.A.S.
Just came over the news. Whats up with this?

Fly Smart

Weather is getting nicer. Pilots didn't fly as much over the winter. Same reason there's a ****-ton of car accidents with the first snow of the year.

Dr. Bruce has ten ways to crash an airplane, must have doubled up on a couple of them . . .

Great. It's about to come out on the national news in 2-3 min.
Fly safe, please.

Famous Stall Spin debate.....I wonder what will come from this?

Oh, man. Thank you ABC news! They just spoon fed the anti-GA faction a heavy dose of "this is too dangerous" baby food. :rolleyes2:

See folks you can't have just a little bit of freedom, everybody has to havelots of freedom or no one gets any. Least not enough to have fun.

I wonder what will go first...FOID Cards or Private Pilot Certificate.

They did interview Rick Stowell. If you do not know of this man and what he has done in his life, its a great read.

The fatality rate for GA is said to be comparable to that for motorcycles.

Not really the point. This is not about "fatality Rate" but Accident Rate and just what ramifications come from this rate of accidents.

You also must think like Joe Public and just what is going through that tiny little mind Joe Public has.

He Knows Nothing.....

Fly Smart

I think you see the same spike in motorcycle accidents right after we go on daylight savings time.

Just came over the news. Whats up with this?

Fly Smart

In 2010, there were 1,377 general aviation accidents. http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/11nall.pdf
That's 3.8 per day if they are evenly distributed over an entire year. If you assume that people fly more over the weekend than during the week, that would make it 8-10 per weekend - not counting Friday night.

So, 11 is probably not far from typical.

It made it over the news because someone reported on one accident, which sent other stations scurrying for similar reports, which starts a trend of reporting what would have otherwise been ignored.

In 2010, there were 1,377 general aviation accidents. http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/11nall.pdf
That's 3.8 per day if they are evenly distributed over an entire year. If you assume that people fly more over the weekend than during the week, that would make it 8-10 per weekend - not counting Friday night.

So, 11 is probably not far from typical.

It made it over the news because someone reported on one accident, which sent other stations scurrying for similar reports, which starts a trend of reporting what would have otherwise been ignored.

Applause please! :yes:

I am assuming they made the news since these were a little more spectacular with the crash in Florida hitting cars and causing a pretty good fire and then the crash yesterday into a house. I agree the numbers are probably not far off average. Good thing the news guys did see this PIREP last night

PIE UUA /OV PIE290150/TM 2223/FL270/TP TBM7/TB EXTRM/RM PLANE INVERTED AND LOST 7000 FT ALT. CWSU ZMA

Carl

As I mentioned in another thread, we had 11 accidents this morning during rush hour here in Minneapolis. There were six in a 100 mile stretch of I-94 last Sunday alone. Stuff happens.

OT, but as a former IL resident having relocated to a free state, IL is the only state with anything like a FOID card. Most places you just use your driver's licence or state ID.

The accident numbers can get crazy. The Cessna 180-185's had 7 accidents and ~a dozen fatalities during a two-week period a few summers back.

TBM strong, very strong. I would need a new interior, especially the pilots seat.
Not only that, but I'd probably need surgery to remove the seat cushion from my sphincter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am assuming they made the news since these were a little more spectacular with the crash in Florida hitting cars and causing a pretty good fire and then the crash yesterday into a house. I agree the numbers are probably not far off average. Good thing the news guys did see this PIREP last night

PIE UUA /OV PIE290150/TM 2223/FL270/TP TBM7/TB EXTRM/RM PLANE INVERTED AND LOST 7000 FT ALT. CWSU ZMA

Carl

Maybe it was really a PITTS?

Carl

that's the way to give a PIREP. Lets not teach the news folks how to read them, theyre still figuring out fligh plans.

Carl

Well.....that is most certaintly a UUA worthy event.

They did interview Rick Stowell. If you do not know of this man and what he has done in his life, its a great read.
Actually, they did that interview with Rich Stowell well over a month ago; they just didn't air it until today. Unfortunately, they mixed it in with this sensationalist reporting.

I had to really question one of their "facts" though. I believe they said that either the number of pilots or "small planes" is at an all-time high. I don't believe that to be true for either of those!

They also talked about 5 accidents per day, and left the viewer with an impression that they were all or at least most fatal accidents, and then they show the figure of 475 fatalities per year, which comes out to about 1.5 per day.

Deborah Hersman is right, the GA accident rate is too high, and the NTSB has put it in their top ten priorities for the second year in a row.

Weather on the east was clear and relatively warm but someone gusty. Not good for those who slacked off on their skills in the winter. We did go up to 8,500 coming down to NC last Thursday (a bit higher than we typically go for a 225 mile trip). We got beat up pretty good coming down through 6-7000. Lots of people discussing it on center as well.

The accident numbers can get crazy. The Cessna 180-185's had 7 accidents and ~a dozen fatalities during a two-week period a few summers back.

Cessna 150/152s have become much safer over the years...

attachment.php

Attachments

• AccRates.jpg
    AccRates.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 47
Cessna 150/152s have become much safer over the years...

attachment.php
Not sure you can necessarily say they are 'safer'......It probably has alot to do with the overall numbers of aircraft being flown (I'd say there are far fewer folks doing their training in 150/152s today than 30 years ago). Same with the taildraggers....fewer overall numbers being flown, so the accident numbers are lower. Every single taildragger (including the 180/185) studied had a considerably and consistently lower accident rate than any of the trikes.

Not sure you can necessarily say they are 'safer'......It probably has alot to do with the overall numbers of aircraft being flown (I'd say there are far fewer folks doing their training in 150/152s today than 30 years ago). Same with the taildraggers....fewer overall numbers being flown, so the accident numbers are lower. Every single taildragger (including the 180/185) studied had a considerably and consistently lower accident rate than any of the trikes.
Yeah, unless this is charting "accidents/hours flown", it doesn't tell you much. And there's no good source for hours flown, either.

I had to really question one of their "facts" though. I believe they said that either the number of pilots or "small planes" is at an all-time high. I don't believe that to be true for either of those!

If they're talking about small jets, I might be able to believe it.

Sorry, forgot the " ;) "

Look at the late 90's to about 2005 - it looks like there was a shift from 150/152s (big drop) to 172s (level to increase).

Of course, the post 2005 data for the LSAs shows them falling out of the sky at an alarming rate due to the fact that the pilots no longer need a medical. :rolleyes:

Without the non-existant data on how many hours were flown, there is no way to make any sense of this data that I can find.

Back