Electronical help requested.

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Damaged this ribbon cable installing a pistol rack in the door of my gun safe. 16 conductor, 28awg? Foot long. I looked on amazon. The raw cable is available but not an assembly. I am not electronically setup tool wise.
1701029472092.jpeg

Are the wires still attached? I would just put glue over it to insulate it. I probably would not do that for my airplane, but a gun safe I would.

Or if the wire is long enough you could take the end of and recrimp it.

The connector will pop apart and you can then pull the cable off of the connector. Then you can attach the connector to your new cable. You'll probably need to use a vise to press the new cable and cap on to the connector. Or if there's enough slack in the cable, just cut it and move the connector.

@Morgan3820 Because I'm a man of many hobbies, including Eurorack as @Baked Potato suggested, I happen to have a lot of feet of that ribbon cable and a big box of connectors. In fact, I have a dozen or so 1' or slightly longer cable assemblies already made up, just sitting in a drawer (haven't added any new modules in a year...I'm holding strong in my recovery). If you PM your address, I'll mail a couple to you, gratis.

Well shoot; that looks like damage from an unintentional discharge.

If you have a couple extra inches of slack in the wire, the end will snap off, and can be reattached upstream of the damaged section. Only tools needed would be a screwdriver and perhaps a pair of pliers.

I just ordered a 10 pack of connectors from ebay for $7. A you tube vid makes it appear easy.
Thanks everyone

That's gotta be one high-tech gun safe.

The only thing electronical on mine is the flashlight I keep on top, to help me see things way in the back.

That's gotta be one high-tech gun safe.

The only thing electronical on mine is the flashlight I keep on top, to help me see things way in the back.
The one I lost in a tragic boating accident had a motion activated LED light array that triggered when the door opened. However, it didn't require any ribbon cables lol.

Last edited:
I won’t own a big gun safe with electric locking. Pistol safes have taught me not to trust the keypad types. I like dial locks. I did pitch a pistol safe a couple of days ago the failed. Had to replace it with another one with keypad and biometrics. I wonder how long this one will last?

I won’t own a big gun safe with electric locking. Pistol safes have taught me not to trust the keypad types. I like dial locks. I did pitch a pistol safe a couple of days ago the failed. Had to replace it with another one with keypad and biometrics. I wonder how long this one will last?
How quickly can you get into the dial lock? And if it's dark?
(Assuming self defense is one of your use cases of course)

How quickly can you get into the dial lock? And if it's dark?
(Assuming self defense is one of your use cases of course)
Mine is back-lit and takes about 5-seconds to enter the code and unlock. That's assuming I can read it while being awoken suddenly in the middle of the night.

Yes. Hard for me to see without my glasses or contacts. That’s why I carry IWB while sleeping. S&W 686 Plus with laser grips.
We've still got little ones (4yr/7yr) that present too much risk to leave any loaded weapons around. We could do one of the small biometric handgun safes but I'm not sure it would save much time in an emergency as the big safe is 10 ft from the bed. The kids know not to touch any guns they ever come across, but aren't old enough to trust around them just yet.

Back