Electronic or Manual

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
It has just came to my attention that the DPE allows an electronic E6B on the check ride.

I have been been studying and using the whiz wheel for quite some time for my training.

What is the benefit of the electronic E6B? Will it be easier to use? Should I buy one and which one is most user friendly?

Thank you.

A little late how. Stick with the manual. The only calculations you might be asked to do is airspeed/time on the XC portion and that is actually used as a distraction.

It has just came to my attention that the DPE allows an electronic E6B on the check ride.
Sorry, I can't resist, but since you have your answer, where have you been the past 25 years? :D

The previous DPE had the student use the whiz wheel. The new DPE allows the electronic.

When i just did my IFR check ride, the DE let me use my iPad. He said plan a trip like you normally will. E6b is only used for the written test.

On my instrument checkride, I used Foreflight for the flight planning purposes but when he threw a couple misc changes and asked me to estimate some times and fuel I just whipped out the stock calculator on my phone. It's a good idea to understand the basics behind many of the calculations so you can run them on anything.

I dont know anything about the electronic version, but my wheel one has a good amount of formulas on it that can help you out on the written.

25 years? You are being kind, more like 40.
I haven't been flying 40. And the first time I used an electronic E6B was after my private. So I figured I'd be conservative in my comment. :D

Never once pulled out e6b o the practical (oral or flight portion). I brought my manual whiz wheel, but never had the opportunity to use it. Thank goodness.

Seriously, use what you are comfortable with.

Never once pulled out e6b o the practical (oral or flight portion). I brought my manual whiz wheel, but never had the opportunity to use it. Thank goodness.

Seriously, use what you are comfortable with.
I carried a whiz wheel in my shirt pocket for 30 years, because that’s what I was comfortable using.

Back