Electronic Logbook Endorsements

bluesky74656

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd Kooser
I recently switched to using ForeFlight’s logbook primarily. It has the ability to tag flights for currency, so if I tag a flight as an IPC, for example, it will automatically calculate my IFR currency. Do you think it’s enough to tag an entry with the IPC or Flight Review tag, or in the comments section should I type out the full endorsement language before having my instructor sign it?

I recently switched to using ForeFlight’s logbook primarily. It has the ability to tag flights for currency, so if I tag a flight as an IPC, for example, it will automatically calculate my IFR currency. Do you think it’s enough to tag an entry with the IPC or Flight Review tag, or in the comments section should I type out the full endorsement language before having my instructor sign it?

Foreflight can do the endorsements with instructor signature. Look under Qualifications the plus in the upper right. You can then look up the language for the proper one and it will fill it in.

Actually its pretty standard for electronic logbooks to have canned endorsement language.

And old software to have the wrong endorsement language and no way to update it.

BUT...

Almost all good software these days has a way to attach a photograph to a log entry. So as stupid as is is, write it on paper, sign it per usual, and shoot a photo.

Good software also lets you back up all the data including the photos and metadata somewhere other than the software maker’s website.

Buyer beware vendor lock-in.

Unless the CFI is setup to do ForeFlight signatures, here is the failsafe.

Just have the CFI write up the endorsement on a piece of paper or napkin and sign it, take a photo of that and upload it with the ForeFlight entry.

If you need endorsements
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-65F.pdf

In ForeFlight, the pre-entered text has blanks for names and numbers and all of it is editable on an individual endorsement basis, so it can be changed there as well.

Back