Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
VictorValencia
As part of my Sport Pilot training I am working on cross country
planning. I have created a couple of flight plans using the tried-and-true
VFR flight planning sheet. For my flight tomorrow I decided to try
this spread-sheet-based flight planner:

http://cbpowell.wordpress.com/2011/...cel-based-vfr-flight-planner-youll-ever-need/

In addition, I used http://www.skyvector.com to get course and distance
information which I then plugged into the spreadsheet along with
POH data for TAS/gph and aviationweather.gov for winds aloft.

The electronic method is so much easier! Holy cow. I found it so
much easier to make tweaks and change parameters such as
wind/altitude/TAS etc.

I still believe it's important to understand the concepts behind the
calculations though.

My question is can I use this method for my checkride?

So far I have resisted the urge to use something like Foreflight since
I don't want to make things more complex than necessary at this
point.

Would the DPE ding me on going electronic?

Victor

My DPE was fine with the iPad in the plane in the Checkride, however he did want to see the math and the good old E6B calcs on the cross country plan. He asked me if the wind changed to X what would your ground speed be then. I am fairly sure he was looking for the E6B to come out at that point.

Fltplan.com

ForeFlight is awesome for enroute mapping and all the airport info you ever wanted, but for weather and notams and nav logging and filing FltPlan.com has my top endorsement.

My DPE was fine with the iPad in the plane in the Checkride, however he did want to see the math and the good old E6B calcs on the cross country plan. He asked me if the wind changed to X what would your ground speed be then. I am fairly sure he was looking for the E6B to come out at that point.

At that point I would drag out my electronic E-6B :)

Of course the spreadsheet is prepared before the flight and would
be tough to update enroute w/o internet access. If the wind
direction/speed changed it would be good to be able to update
enroute which is not really a problem although somewhat inconvenient
though. There is really not much space in the C162 for iPads,
computers etc which is one reason I have avoided them so far.

V.

There is nothing in any PTS, FAA Order, or FAA regulation requiring the use of paper flight logs or a "whiz wheel" or prohibiting the use of such modern technology as you mention on any pilot certificate/rating practical test. Any such requirement is being levied by the individual DPE without any support from AFS-800 (which sets policy for pilot practical tests). The current head of AFS-800 said he wants to see you do things on the practical test the same way you will the next day on your own so the examiner can determine whether or not you will do them safely and accurately. However, if you do plan to use modern electronic flight bag gear, be sure you have a backup in case any one thing fails. Such backup may, by FAA standards, also be electronic, but it must be independent (i.e., no single failure will kill all your capability).

There is nothing in any PTS, FAA Order, or FAA regulation requiring the use of paper flight logs or a "whiz wheel" or prohibiting the use of such modern technology as you mention on any pilot certificate/rating practical test. Any such requirement is being levied by the individual DPE without any support from AFS-800 (which sets policy for pilot practical tests). The current head of AFS-800 said he wants to see you do things on the practical test the same way you will the next day on your own so the examiner can determine whether or not you will do them safely and accurately. However, if you do plan to use modern electronic flight bag gear, be sure you have a backup in case any one thing fails. Such backup may, by FAA standards, also be electronic, but it must be independent (i.e., no single failure will kill all your capability).

Where does the regs sit on electronic copies of your POH and supplement manuals for items you may have added to the plane (like a WAAS GPS) in place of your hard copies? This came up in a hangar conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Part 91 legal. Signatures and sign offs your problem. Part 135 and 121 need OpSpec A061.

Back