Electronic a/c registration application

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Seems to me I did this once but now all I can find are online pdfs that need to be filled out and physically signed with ink, then mailed in.
Is there no way to do this with e-signatures and credit cards?

And online renewals only work when you have the magic cookie they snail mail you. Everything else needs to be mailed in with actual signatures. At least the FAA moved into the 21st century and accept plain paper versions of the forms now rather than their inane carbonless copy versions.

The registration still comes back as a physical card as well. My last airworthiness certificate from the FSDO is a PDF file. I still have to carry the printed version in the plane, but I can make as many "original" copies as I like. At least the FAA didn't watermark "ORIGINAL COPY" on it like the FCC did with my radio licenses (and if you ask for a duplicate they send you one marked DUPLICATE COPY).

It’s outdated to even require hard copies to be in board. All that info is available in seconds online. Anyone who really needs (not just curious) the info will be somewhere with internet access.

As a retired law enforcement officer, I felt the same way about car registration cards. We could always have dispatch look it up or use our in-car computers.

Seems to me I did this once but now all I can find are online pdfs that need to be filled out and physically signed with ink, then mailed in.
Is there no way to do this with e-signatures and credit cards?
Yes to digital signatures. For about 3 years now. But, no, it's not an online form. You can digitally sign the necessary documents - registration applications, bills of sale, security agreements, etc - using a service like DocuSign, and email them to the Registry.

As a retired law enforcement officer, I felt the same way about car registration cards. We could always have dispatch look it up or use our in-car computers.
Yep, they don't even ask for registrations here anymore. By the time the officer exits his cruiser, he's already looked up the car and gotten information on the owner.

t’s outdated to even require hard copies to be in board. All that info is available in seconds online.
Perhaps in the US its outdated, but considering the majority of the FARs are there to satisfy international standards/agreements that the US is party to, it's not "outdated" for a majority of those other member states. While the Feds did drop the radio license certificate in domestic aircraft its still required for ops outside the country. And given the requirements of the registration and AWC were one of the original international requirements to be on board an aircraft it would require a bit more work to drop the paper certificate in N reg aircraft. Dropping the paper certs could also cause a situation with international standards similar to the TCCA owner-maintained category aircraft where those aircraft/parts can't be flown or exported out of Canada. Once the rest of the member states get caught up to the 21st century then maybe it will change.

Back