electrical system

eng4ksa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eng4ksa
Does the aircraft work if we trun the master battery Switch off? And how about magnetos?

Does it still continue to fly?

Some aircraft fly with no electrical systems at all. Especially gliders and balloons. Most aircraft will continue to fly even after catastrophic mechanical failures or running out of fuel.

Most aircraft will have a lot of trouble in the clouds without any avionics or radios.

Do you have a more specific question?

Yeah it will run with master off. Turn the mags off and it will still fly.... till gravity wins.

What I meant is that lets say I'm flying and suddenly The battery died. Can I still fly and till I land safe? How come with no battery or electricity? And how about the magnetos? Don't they work electrically?

What I meant is that lets say I'm flying and suddenly The battery died. Can I still fly and till I land safe? How come with no battery or electricity? And how about the magnetos? Don't they work electrically?
Magnetos are generators. They are self contained.

The airplane will run perfectly happily. But you may not be able to turn on runway lights or landing lights, or extend flaps, or follow an instrument approach, so there may be some complications.

Batteries don't die suddenly. They take some 30 minutes or more to drain after an alternator failure, and things fail one at a time.

You aircraft engine has mags like a lawn mower. Turn on the key and spin the blade.

Turning off the master angers the pixies because they're not allowed to chooch anymore. (With apologies to AvE...)

The battery will fail slowly after the alternator fails. You typically have about 1/2 hour. Turn off the transponder, it uses the most. Alternator failure is probably the most common electrical failure. Many planes have a Master Relay. If it fails, you wont have anything electrical in the plane and it can happen all at once. Good to have a battery GPS. The engine will keep running through all of this, at least on planes with the traditional GA setup (magnetos etc).

As a student pilot I have read numerous books that have covered this topic, written test prep, FAA flying handbook, ASA student pilot manual. If you are a current student pilot I hope you are doing the same.

If you have an engine failure at night, keep your landing light off until you are close enough to the ground that it will be effective. If you don't like what you see, turn it back off.

If you are a student pilot seriously asking this question, I suggest you hit the books and learn about aircraft systems. That's what the books are for afterall. The FAA publishes a free copy of their AFM online, as Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe already linked to.
If you are just a troll, enjoy the comedy. :)
And if you are a rated pilot, then god help us all.

Back