Electrical Failure - what could I have done better?

Yeah - the POH said to reset things for an over voltage but not for an under voltage. Of course being an early 70s POH, it is pretty light on information. I learned a lot about the electrical system with this event.... I learn stuff on almost every flight... some more than others. :)

Yep, no worries, you did fine, just fly and carry on and learn what you can from it. It is never incorrect to isolate and ignore a problem and fly the plane to a safe conclusion of the flight. You did fine at that.

You're alive, nothing got damaged, and no charges were filed. That's an ideal outcome.

My only comment is if there's no power then you're not squawking 7600 or anything else anymore.

Alternator issues seem to be a more common event. I have had three in three different aircraft. The first was a rented C172, outer banks, Veteran's Day, and 30 miles from the home airport. Second was my Warrior, early life failure on a new alternator, within the Bravo Mode C Vail, and 15 miles out from home on the maiden flight of a new engine. Third was in a Schwiezer S300CBi, low voltage, close to home.
And we won't even add in the 2 and 4 wheel events.
I am glad the engine doesn't depend on the alternator to keep turning!
I have never done lightgun signals. That might be an interesting exercise.

I think your logic and decision was great. And also, now I'm going to ask the tower to hit me with some light gun signals. I want to see it so my first time isn't an emergency.

>
By Gum! I'm gonna do that as well. Ya know? I'd never thought of it, but I'm certian they would be happy to oblige when they're not too busy.

I finally did the light gun this evening actually. It was pretty neat. Going to do it during the day this weekend I hope.

<< Sent from my mobile device at 0agl >>

While in my private training, my instructor had me taxi around the airport and fly the pattern using only light gun signals. It was a fun excercise.

When I lost my alternator, I got flight following and they told me to turn off my transponder. They take a lot of current. But...he could see me on his radar without it so I dunno. Its gonna go off anyway though when the battery dies.

The controller asked if I'd seen the green light okay. My DPE elbowed me and told me to say YES.

My reasons for not returning to Reno:

2. It was a really bright day and I thought it would be hard to see the light gun (I need to ask them to show it to me sometime).

I finally did the light gun this evening actually. It was pretty neat. Going to do it during the day this weekend I hope.

Years ago I requested light gun simulation with my CFI on board flying at noon. We're in the desert and they have some sort of sun-shades over their cab windows. We did at least 8 TNG's, and on downwind REALLY kept it tight to the tower. All the gun signals looked white. We asked them to "lift" their curtain sunshade and try signaling without the sunshade and it was STILL nearly impossible. Am guessing light gun recognition isn't going to work out so well unless its dark around here.

Years ago I requested light gun simulation with my CFI on board flying at noon. We're in the desert and they have some sort of sun-shades over their cab windows. We did at least 8 TNG's, and on downwind REALLY kept it tight to the tower. All the gun signals looked white. We asked them to "lift" their curtain sunshade and try signaling without the sunshade and it was STILL nearly impossible. Am guessing light gun recognition isn't going to work out so well unless its dark around here.

There is also the factor of how old are the color gels in use? They fade.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back