Electric Shaver FAIL

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Which, is what it did last night. Chonology of events:

2009:

Original Norelco shaver wore out after boo coo years of service. Went down to Wally World and all I could find was a bunch of rechargeable units. Bought one.

Last Thursday:

Pushed the on button and heard a "snap." Unit was not operational. Tore unit apart. Ended up ripping out the button assembly and using the end of a toothbrush to start it and stop it.

Friday:

There became a noticeable degredation in battery performance. Unit required charging after one shave.

Monday night:

After a full night of charging, battery did not last one shave. Could not quick charge it to complete the remaining shave. The half shaven Sac Arrow completed the mission using a Gillette triple blade.

Tuesday night:

Tried to get one last use out of it, kind of like making a booty call at the end of a failing relationship. Out of frustration, decided to use it for batting practice with a Louisville Slugger baseball bat. Discarded what pieces I could locate in the back yard. Suspect one of my neighbors may have a free rotary head replacement somewhere on their roof.

I don't NEED a rechargeable shaver. When it did work, it worked fine, but it normally chose to run out in the most inopportune moment, like mid shave, or when I'm 400 NM away on business and the charger is still sitting in my bathroom drawer. I WANT a standard, plug in the wall unit. I couldn't find any at the local stores.

Any recommendations?

OK, this has a familiar ring to it.

Was there any beer, wine, Sangria, Bourbon, Vodka, or grain alcohol involved?

Laughed my *ss off btw. :D

Electric? YGTBFKM :D

Real pilots use this

Straight Razor

If you want to be most interesting pilot in the world material you gotta get the straight razor.

:D

On my bucket list is a straight razor shave from a guy in a barber shop. While drinking scotch... not dos equis

I don't do the electric razor thing

2 or 3 blade gillet in the shower. The shower softens your beard, lather up some regular hand soap or whatever you use for showering, then just shave. You don't even need a mirror. You would be surprised at just how familiar your own face is, you do not have to look at it to shave. Closest shave you'll ever get.

John

I have a shaver I have had for nearly 20 years...third set of heads...original battery..I keep expecting it to die...

I figure I have my money's worth out of it...

I haven't used an electric since high school (more painful, not that close and if you get stuck on the road, it is harder to just buy one for the trip). I use a Gillette Fusion five blade and I have one of those shaving cream heaters (I used to use a brush and bar soap, but it was too much hassle). I read somewhere, that if you keep a hot wet cloth on your beard for at least 3 minutes, it will soften it (which is probably why the shower thing, above, works so well).

I have a shaver I have had for nearly 20 years...third set of heads...original battery..I keep expecting it to die...

I figure I have my money's worth out of it...

I had a Norelco one for nearly as long, plug-in only model. I went through about three sets of brushes for the motor. Got so I couldn't *get* brushes anymore, and got a battery model for Xmas. This has done well for about ten years...battery seems to be holding up, and the shaver can also operate as a plug-in type so there's no worry if the battery does give up.

Still, in recent years, I've tended more towards blade shaving. Despite what the makers claim, the electrics still can't match the closeness. Having (originally...) red hair, it's a bit of a pain if the beard grows for more than a day, since red hair is the coarsest and tends to tug when the blade hits it.

Ron Wanttaja

My problem is I don't have a lot of time to do a proper shave on weekdays. I normally get home late, shower, pack for the gym, and when I get up at zero dark thirty I grab my gym bag and head out the door. I normally even sleep in my workout clothes to save an extra step.

Plus daily wet shaves irritates my face.

I've always used Norelcos. One I've had for about ten years finally gave up; but instead of tossing it in the trash, I disassembled it and installed a new rechargable battery for it. It's still going strong several years later.

just to make it aviation, you haven't lived til you had a (very powerful) electric shaver latch onto your face and not let go, at 5000' somewhere above Indiana.

I was looking for something a little bit more high end. However, I think in retrospect I probably could have either replaced the battery pack (soldered in) or better yet adapted a plug in DC power supply bypassing the battery. I suspect the charger doesn't put out enough amperage to run the unit but I haven't checked that out.

OK, this has a familiar ring to it.

Was there any beer, wine, Sangria, Bourbon, Vodka, or grain alcohol involved?

Laughed my *ss off btw. :D

Well, given I typically perform my shaving operations in the evening before bed...

Electric? YGTBFKM :D

Real pilots use this

Straight Razor

If you want to be most interesting pilot in the world material you gotta get the straight razor.

On my bucket list is a straight razor shave from a guy in a barber shop. While drinking scotch... not dos equis

I don't do the electric razor thing

Yeah, well the most scary experience, and the most painful experience, were shaves I've had in Southeast Asia.

Scariest - Just got a haircut, and the haircut lady performs a facial shave. She assesses the situation, and opens up a fresh double edged disposable blade and holds it between her two middle fingers to perform the shave. My face survived the ordeal and the shave was "okay" (not as good as I could have done myself with a three bladed Gillette) but acceptable. Scared the hell out of me though.

Most painful - Same haircut place, but apparently they were out of disposable blades or they didn't want to waste one on me. The gay guy gave me a haircut, and decided he didn't want to deal with the shave part so he punts me over to the shave girl (different one this time.) I basically got dry shaved with a dull straight edge. After a lot of pain and little success she finally gave up.

That isn't on my bucket list, but the task is completed if it ever ends up there.

just to make it aviation, you haven't lived til you had a (very powerful) electric shaver latch onto your face and not let go, at 5000' somewhere above Indiana.

Like, owwww.

Anyway, update: I researched my options and settled for a Panasonic four blade foil shaver, sort of like the Remington. It was about a hundred bucks. Oh, man - that gave a GREAT shave. It worked FAR better than the rotary Norelcos I had been using. I would say it did about as well as a Gillette and shave cream, without exaggeration. Certainly close enough. Normally I use a blade on Sunday evenings just to clean things up, but I'm not sure I will even have to do that with this shaver. I know it doesn't meet the needs of the purist, and neither Chuck Norris or the World's Greatest Pilot will ever fly with me because of it, but so far it's working out.

Braun 6520 foil shaver that I've used for years. Rechargeable. I get at least 5 shaves per charge. 100-240 volts, it's happy. Need to replace the blades and foil now and then.

I prescribe more Bourbon. You may not get a better shave, but eventually you won't care. Remember, real Bourbon comes from Kentucky. Real whiskey for real men.

Sandpaper works well and you can rub it on your face on the way to the gym. All hair should be gone by then but your skin might be gone too. Small side effect.

I prescribe more Bourbon. You may not get a better shave, but eventually you won't care. Remember, real Bourbon comes from Kentucky. Real whiskey for real men.

Bourbon is horse pee. Real men drink rum. ;)

I just had a bourbon discussion last night with the waiter and bartender at a nice restaurant. And I'm a girl.

You could have it lasered off.

Bourbon is horse pee. Real men drink rum. ;)

Bourbon is real whiskey. It is AMERICAN. Did you know the Scotch distillers buy the used oak Bourbon barrels from Kentucky Boubon distillers? They use them once then they go to Scotland. Also many Scotches use artificial coloring to get that nice, amber color. Not so in Bourbon.

Rum is OK, especially Barbancourt from Haiti. However, that Barcardi crap needs to go in foo, foo drinks for women.

I use blades, never even tried an electric. I think I was affected by seeing Santa riding one on the old Norelco commercials.

Last edited:
I was a shaver user for a long time...Norelcos, Remingtons (Remember Victor Kayham, he bought the company), and Brauns. The Braun and Norelco I bought when I was traveling overseas a lot and they had the ability to charge on a wide variety of voltages.

However, I switched to blades about 20 years ago and haven't ever gone back.
I've also abandoned the goofy foamy shaving cream for the kind that comes in a tube that does a much better job (most of the goo that plugs up the razor isn't beard but shaving cream). I use Edge Active Care. Sometimes with a little pre shave oil

I tried different electrics and always ended up with road rash. It didn't matter if I used a pre-treat or not. I always had the latest gillette multiblade wizbang for a backup and actually found I got a better shave with a cup, soap bar, brush, and blade.
The only electric I have now is a wahl to do a quick trim between barber visits.
As electrics go, I don't think the more you pay for one the better the shave. Same for the blades. I remember my injector razor did a fine job as well.

I use Edge Active Care. Sometimes with a little pre shave oil

You're starting to sound awfully Metrosexual. Do you use moisturizer around your eyes too? You know for the crows feet. If you want to keep your Mancard, shave with 100LL this weekend. Light it first. That'll fix your little red wagon. :D

I don't NEED a rechargeable shaver. When it did work, it worked fine, but it normally chose to run out in the most inopportune moment, like mid shave, or when I'm 400 NM away on business and the charger is still sitting in my bathroom drawer. I WANT a standard, plug in the wall unit. I couldn't find any at the local stores.

Any recommendations?

Gillette Fusion, the electric one. Always works, better shave than any electric.

Sandpaper works well and you can rub it on your face on the way to the gym. All hair should be gone by then but your skin might be gone too. Small side effect.

Yeah except that particularly you, being a California resident, should know that is a technical violation of our distracted driving laws. And I've always found hyperexfoliation to be a contributing factor to skin rashes and acne. I don't view that as a practical option in my situation.

You could have it lasered off.

Slightly preferable to the above, however, something would just seem wrong if the routine of dragging a cutting tool across my face disappeared. Plus there are times when you need the man beard to grow out a little. Imagine being on an Elk hunting trip with your buddies, and three days out your face still resembles Selena Gomez' calf. You would be.... watched with a critical eye....

Real men drink Scotch.

Bourbon is real whiskey. It is AMERICAN. Did you know the Scotch distillers buy the used oak Bourbon barrels from Kentucky Boubon distillers? They use them once then they go to Scotland. Also many Scotches use artificial coloring to get that nice, amber color. Not so in Bourbon.

Rum is OK, especially Barbancourt from Haiti. However, that Barcardi crap needs to go in foo, foo drinks for women.

I use blades, never even tried an electric. I think I was affected by seeing Santa riding one on the old Norelco commercials.

I have to say I'm not a Bourban fan myself but I respect the buy American concept. My normal drink of choice is Jameson, for no other reason than it's fairly smooth, and relatively cheap. If I want something a little better I'll go for a good single malt Scotch. I just had some Ardbeg last night, not bad, but Lagavoulen is one of my favorites.

You're starting to sound awfully Metrosexual. Do you use moisturizer around your eyes too? You know for the crows feet. If you want to keep your Mancard, shave with 100LL this weekend. Light it first. That'll fix your little red wagon. :D

That sounds a bit Chuck Norris....

Gillette Fusion, the electric one. Always works, better shave than any electric.

I Googled that, but I don't fully understand the concept. It appears to be some sort of power enhanced wet razor, which is a step up from the Mach III. But, it's still a wet razor. The point of an electric is convenience - the whole process of waiting for the water to get hot, washing the face, lathering, letting lather sit for a bit, cleaning up, splashing cold water on the face to close the pores, drying face, cleaning razor and counter, etc.... just takes some time where the electric is maybe two minutes of work max. And I don't cut myself.

Day two and the Panasonic is performing well. An added benefit is an array of LED lights which indicate battery charge status. It's a bit like flying with a G1000 vs. steam gauges. Except it's shaving.

I Googled that, but I don't fully understand the concept. It appears to be some sort of power enhanced wet razor, which is a step up from the Mach III. But, it's still a wet razor. The point of an electric is convenience - the whole process of waiting for the water to get hot, washing the face, lathering, letting lather sit for a bit, cleaning up, splashing cold water on the face to close the pores, drying face, cleaning razor and counter, etc.... just takes some time where the electric is maybe two minutes of work max. And I don't cut myself.

Yeah, you can use it wet in the shower or sink with cream/gel/shampoo...
The electric vibration greatly reduces the tugging. When I first got one I thought it was a gimmick until I tried it, it works well. I've had several electrics over the years and even when I have the electricity to run them, they don't give me nearly as close of a shave. With an electric I'll have to shave twice in the course of a business day and a third to clean up for the evening. With this sucker I can shave in the morning and I'm good for the whole day. I shave in the shower so it really doesn't cost me any extra time in waiting. The Mach 3 was good, but the 5 blade system really gets it smooth and the flat mount with open back makes it an easy clean.

The key to not cutting yourself shaving with blades is always drag them perpendicular to the skin, never on a diagonal.

I prefer to shave once a week, by the end I'm pretty close to looking like a homeless bum which is a nice way to blend into the world. I use a 5 blade something or another and it hurts unless I let the shaving goo soak into my face which I never really have time for.

I was sitting at a red light, and noticed the guy in the car next to me. He had an electric razor, and was shaving his head.

Sandpaper leaves dust.

Back