EKG for under 40 yrs of age--Class II

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
A commercial pilot received a letter from their AME which advises that the FAA is requiring the pilot must submit to an EKG for their Class II certificate to remain in effect. The pilot's current medical was received on May 28th last year.

The pilot's regular AME is out of the office for at least another full month and the pilot has gotten the run around from several other AMEs they have contacted. A 2nd letter was received which advises that the FAA is growing impatient as they question why the pilot has not yet complied.

Calling Dr. Chien, Dr. Bruce Chien, please contact PoA...

Non-medical advice -- your pal needs to contact the FAA Aeromedical folks at once to find out why this is happening, and to let them know he's not ducking them. If there's a time limit in that letter, and he misses that date, the FAA will immediately suspend his medical, grounding him until the situation is resolved, and they won't take "But my regular AME was out of the office for a month" as an excuse. He really doesn't want to let it get that far.

Last edited:
Richard,

A second class does not routinely need an EKG. Did he have new onset of high blood pressure or something like that? That needs a normal EKG with the first time it is reported. He can get the EKG from his family doctor. Then send it to the FAA. Keep a copy of it for himself and on the copy he sends write the PI # on it (That is a number on the top of the letter from the FAA. If the EKG gets misplaced at OK City that number makes it easier to get it to the right file)

Barb

At my behest the pilot contacted FAA Aeromedical in OK City. They told the pilot they have no record of any communication with the AME.

Now what? Does the pilot do nothing as they wait for further communication from the FAA? I'm thinking the pilot should follow Barb's advice and schedule an EKG with a non-AME MD. But then what? If the FAA has no record of this how would they respond to receipt of an 'unsolicited' EKG?

Okay, I think I read your message a little wrong. See if I've got it right now.

His last medical was May last year so he is techniquely due for his medical next month.
He got a letter from the AME ( not the FAA) asking for an EKG.
He has not recieved a letter directly from the FAA.

Is that right?
If so, I haven't got a clue where the AME is coming from, unless he has the airman mixed up with someone else, or he had some communication with the AME about a problem like new onset hypertension that would require an EKG. but it would not be needed until the exam(although I like to have them sent to me early just to make sure it is OK).

It he has NO medical issues, I would either: wait for the AME to return and talk to him, if you like him enough. or find another AME for the next exam.

Barb

Yes, Barb, you have it right.

That's what is so confusing: the AME said they were contacted by the FAA through multiple telephone conversations. The AME then contacted the pilot through a letter. The pilot has hypertension for which they take a prescription medicine. This is not a new condition and has been disclosed on previous AME exams.

Just this morning the pilot told me they were able to get the name of the person who initiated this whole thing. Now it's not even certain what capacity this person is; it's unknown if they are even with the FAA.

The pilot's AME staff is being retarded and cannot provide further information about this person. Probably because the only person(s) in the AME's office who know anything are unavailable 'til the end of this month.

The letter from the AME to the pilot did not reference the pilot's hypertension but in a follow-up phone call the AME staff did mention it as reason for why the EKG was needed.

Still, the question is how should the pilot respond?

Still, the question is how should the pilot respond?
"Please have Dr. AME call me as soon as possible to discuss why he wants me to have an EKG." Since (contrary to the impression of the original post) the FAA is not involved, there's no need for action until the AME comes back, since you can get an EKG taken with very little delay.

The thing we're missing is if there was a special issuance issuable condition. I rarely allow lack of a qualifying piece of information (for an SI condition) out of my office with a certificate, w/o prior HAVING the piece of information. I do a lot of telephonic authorized 1st time SIs out of the office. It could be the AME stuck his neck out and is getting called on it by AAM 331.

For a normal Second class medical, there is NO requirement ever for an EKG.

Therefore, since the AME's office is DOA, the airman should cal 405-954-4821 and find out if there is actually any demand on his file. Don't be waiting for an official letter. The inquiry puts you at ZERO risk.

Thank you for your responses.

This airman does not have a SI condition. The pilot already called the phone number Dr Chien provided. That phone conversation revealed that there is nothing on record of needing an EKG.

Also, that phone conversation revealed that no one by the name of that person who started this whole thing is known to anyone. In that phone conversation it was suggested that the airman contact their "regional office" although it is undetermined if that would be the FSDO, CAMI, or other office. The only identification of this office is "Northwest Mtn" at (425) 227-2305.

EDIT: My question is does the pilot need to document the phone inquiry to the number provided by Dr Chien? If so, what is the preferred, acceptable method?

Last edited:
Name of the person, date, and content note. That's all. All the calls to CNI are logged. It'll be in there.....

Interesting thread.. thanx Doc Chien..

I've been "boarder line" on my BP for the last 3 yrs at every Class II with the AME.
But when I see my "regular family doc" about two months prior to my AME visit, my BP is fine. Last time I told the AME that it was "white coat syndrome" with the risk of BP problems on the medical. A few relaxing breathing exersices and it came down.

I'm seeing my family doc next week for my annual "perscription renewal" check up. Standard approved cholestrol meds I've been on for 7 years, plus another FAA approved med for my bursitus.

If I end up on BP Meds, I have the standard form from AOPA to show regular BP checks on the meds with no adverse effects. Nice to know that EKG is not required for the Class II, but if the family doc wants one I would not turn him down. Have not had an EKG since the AF retirement exit physical.

Anything else I should know?

I suppose I should review the FAA approved BP med list so I don't let the non-AME doc perscribe something I should not have.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back