EFB: iPad - Software App - Xavion

KeyWestPhotog

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WingMan
-- Xavion Video -- iTunes App Store -- (links placed to give you more info, if you aren't sure what Xavion is)

For the record, I am one of those guys who are often referred to as "iPad Pilots". Whether it is used as a derogatory term, or a complimentary one, i'm acceptable to both.

Recently I had learned about this Software App from Laminar Research that would add something beneficial to my EFB. Other than reading information off of the Xavion website, the iTunes App store, and seeing the YouTube video, I haven't gotten much more.

Are any of you utilizing this, and can give a review of the product?

(In no way shape or form, do I represent the company, and I damn sure don't receive any paychecks from them. However I might be open to bribes in the future.. Just sayin....)

I just bought it and an Ipad mini to run it on. I have not flown with it yet. A couple months ago I mentioned it to my partner who immediately bought it after getting approval from his wife... He has flown with it on a few 400nm ifr trips with a couple of those at night and reported a warm fuzzy feeling when he looked at it.
He said after a few setup flights required for the software to learn your aircraft particular performance, glide ratio, etc that it appeared to show a reliable pathway to an airport in an emergency situation.
The ipad must be mounted vertically facing forward unless you have an external AHRS. My partner does not have an external AHRS and reported the ipad internal sensor seemed to work well.
A new version was just put up on the ipad store which has warnings for runway length, over gross weight, nexrad radar, wrong to or landing for winds, etc. After install your aircraft profile stats were lost in xavion. I emailed the developer at around 8pm Saturday I believe. He emailed back that he was able to duplicate the bug then emailed again around midnight that he had fixed the bug and uploaded a new version to the ipad store which should be available in about a week.

I hear it's pretty awesome.

But, I would like to thank you for the link to the reviews of "Garden of Eden"... funny stuff.

There are other threads on it. I don't view it as a true EFB, although it has some of the functions. I view it as an ancillary tool, especially useful for single-engine night and IFR. When the new mini comes out I will consider dedicating one of my iPads to it, with ForeFlight on the other. And my Nexus with Garmin Pilot as backup.

If you consider yourself an iPad pilot, I would not recommend getting this unless you have a device dedicated to it (that is, a second device if you plan to use ForeFlight/WingX/etc.).

The tool seems to be nice, oriented towards emergency landing guidance, but if you're running another application as primary, having an emergency is not a good time to be fiddling around with finding Xavion. That being said, running it from an iPhone that isn't otherwise being used is probably a fine use for it.

I view it as an ancillary. And my Nexus with Garmin Pilot as backup.

Good point, I didn't clarify. I use Garmin Pilot on iPad to aid me in planning, filing, and as a backup to kick me in the throat if I am getting off course. It is nice to be able to fly a sectional on the map and instantly know where you are on the sectional.

If you consider yourself an iPad pilot, I would not recommend getting this unless you have a device dedicated to it (that is, a second device if you plan to use ForeFlight/WingX/etc.).

The tool seems to be nice, oriented towards emergency landing guidance, but if you're running another application as primary, having an emergency is not a good time to be fiddling around with finding Xavion. That being said, running it from an iPhone that isn't otherwise being used is probably a fine use for it.

Good Post, 182. Great info to know.

Wow, this is very interesting... I see two ways it can go: add charts/sectionals and become a full moving map EFB, or sell the idea/technology to FF, WingX, or Garmin.

I went ahead and purchased Xavion for $9.99 via iTunes for use on X-Plane.

I have used it several times now where I have had Random engine failure, and see how accurate Xavion can get me down.

It is a neat tool to add to your arsenal, and the software can put you down to minimums when you set it up correctly to the plane you are flying.

Sent from my iPhone using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise for them.

Back