EFB - Flight Planning Apps

What Flight Planner /EFB do you use

• Total voters
A bit of a tangent but ...

What are folk's thoughts on geo referenced approached plates? Some apps give you that for free while some upcharge for it. Not IFR rated, (but plan on starting the rating in the spring) so I really don't know if it adds value or not. I am considering going from Insight EFB to ForeFlight but you need FF Pro for georeferenced plates.
On the theory that you don't miss what you don't have, I'll say it doesn't add value until the first time you use it in flight. I can go without but, like a moving map generally, really like the extra situational awareness it gives you with a quick glance.

A bit of a tangent but ...

What are folk's thoughts on geo referenced approached plates? Some apps give you that for free while some upcharge for it. Not IFR rated, (but plan on starting the rating in the spring) so I really don't know if it adds value or not. I am considering going from Insight EFB to ForeFlight but you need FF Pro for georeferenced plates.

The additional situation awareness is wonderful - I use FlyQ, no extra charge.

The additional situation awareness is wonderful - I use FlyQ, no extra charge.
Actually, there is. It's quite a bit less than Foreflight but FlyQ has two subscription levels, VFR and VFR+IFR. Only the IFR package (twice the price) has georeferenced approach charts. What I like about FlyQ (and is my only real gripe with Foreflight) is that the base FF package doesn't have georeferenced taxi diagrams. FlyQ does.

I use Garmin Pilot for planning, then send it over to my Aera 660 and panel mount GPS175 in the plane. IPad mini has overheated to many times

ForeFlight connects with my 650Xi to upload FP and download changes (cleared direct).

I may start playing with Pilot, as I have to have it for Data Concierge for updating the databases.

But, as a CAP pilot, I get the MIL version of FF for free. Cannot beat free. :D

Ifly is my favorite. Have a 740B in my Kitfox
However for cross country flying in my Bo I have had to go to FF.
Personally I will not fly Xcountry without XM weather
Have had two incidents where FisB did not show major storms while inflight. Am waiting for Ifly to add XM weather capabilities.

I do like Garmin pilot, but it does not show traffic over the internet. My son also flys and I like to track him on an EFB
when he flies

Ifly is my favorite. Have a 740B in my Kitfox
However for cross country flying in my Bo I have had to go to FF.
Personally I will not fly Xcountry without XM weather
Have had two incidents where FisB did not show major storms while inflight.
Interesting. Any detail? I haven't had that happen. Of course, the storm isn't necessarily where the picture shows it and, if it popped up out of nowhere in the past 10 minutes it might not show at all. But those would be true of XM weather too.

And... Welcome to our mildly dysfunctional family.

812EBCF4-4727-4F3C-8950-55C90190A9FA.jpeg

This is the latest incident where I had. “No FisB”

When I left Oklahoma there was a line of isolated Tstorms with good gaps between them. I was using a Stratus 3 and FF. Absolutely zero indication of any weather issues. They could have dissipated. Fortunately a good controller at FWS vectored me around the south side of the storms
It was an overcast grey day and I could not clearly see the line of weather

After I got to my destination I pulled up the radar picture I posted and saw for the first time what I was flying into. A big thank you to that controller that was tracking me that day

I ordered a Garmin GDL-51 and a subscription to XM weather.

I feel much safer flying with with satellite reception rather than relying on ADSB. I might note that I had traffic—just no weather

Rodney

oh and thank you for the welcome. Sounds like I will probably fit in

Last edited:
Back