EFB - Android and iOS and ADS-B

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
As we get to fall, I begin thinking about my ForeFlight subscription again. I absolutely love the app but I really want some Android capability also. That doesn't necessarily mean an EFB app that works on both systems, but it does mean being able to use the same ADS-B hardware cross-platform, something that Stratus does not allow (if Stratus was open, I would not be asking the question).

So, what are folks using for iOS and for Android EFB apps that use one of the "open" ADS-B receivers and which ones?

Religious zealots for one operating system or the other need not respond :D

(I'm going to post this in a few of the forums I frequent)

Avare is popular on Android. It is free, however it does have it's limitations. It is not really a complete EFB for IFR flight to compete with Garmin and Foreflight. But for most VFR putzing around, it is quite spectacular. It does include georeferenced airport diagrams and open hardware ADS-B.

Garmin Pilot works on iOS and Android. The GDL39 ADS-B receiver works on both. But as I'm sure you know, Garmin hardware = Garmin software only. But it does give you cross platform quite nicely.

And FWIW....Garmin has a Bluetooth adapter that will allow you to flight plan on your device and upload direct into the panel Garmin GPS.

Avare is popular on Android. It is free, however it does have it's limitations. It is not really a complete EFB for IFR flight to compete with Garmin and Foreflight. But for most VFR putzing around, it is quite spectacular. It does include georeferenced airport diagrams and open hardware ADS-B.
Yep, I'm very familiar with Avare. Great little app and my current EFB backup.

Interesting piece I just learned - iFly GPS is compatible with the Stratus I - can read the current feed on both iPad and Android.

but, these alternatives are not ADS-B, just EFB. Stratus is very parochial

but, these alternatives are not ADS-B, just EFB. Stratus is very parochial
Huh? Are you thinking Stratus is the only ADS-B unit around? All of the alternatives mentioned so far listed are ADS-B compatible. The Garmin, fo course, works with Garmin; most of the rest work with the Dual XGPS 170 as well as others.

I've had good luck with FltPlan Go. It's not as full featured but it does provide you with chartview and well as position on a AD or AP. Nice for flight planning, ADS-B and XM Weather support. And it's FREE!

For Android, AVARE, FlightPro (formerly Avilution Aviation Maps) iFly and Naviator are all decent apps with flexibility for GPS and ADS-B connectivity. FlightPro, iFly and Naviator are essentially full featured EFB's where AVARE is more a basic moving map navigator with some AFD type data availability.

My current setup is Garmin Pilot on my tablet connected to a GDL-39 3D GPS/AHRS/ADS-B device, with AVARE on my large screen phone as backup.

I would give FlightPro the edge overall for payware, I really like it and if Garmin doesn't get the Android version of Pilot to feature parity with the iOS version I will probably go back to it and sell the GDL.

'Gimp

I downloaded and installed a new app called AvNav EFB just before Osh and have played with it a little. The advantage it has over Naviator is that it has seamless charts and it also has geo referenced plates. It's 5.00 a month after a 45 day trial and it supports teh Dual xps170 ADSB receiver.

I'm very pleased with Fltplan. Are there any other free apps that have georef'd approach plates? Fltplan.com is a very strong company and they are clearly comitted to developing this product over the long haul.

I'm very pleased with Fltplan. Are there any other free apps that have georef'd approach plates? Fltplan.com is a very strong company and they are clearly comitted to developing this product over the long haul.
AVARE does geo-ref's plates and airport diagrams for free - not feature rich from a planning standpoint but a good app.

'Gimp

Any comments on Seattle Avionics FlyQ?

I'm ready to upgrade from my Gen1 iPad to most likely the iPad Air, waiting for the A8 processor. I've compared the mini to the Air, but for the rest of my iPad use, the mini is too small.

But do I stick with FF which means a Stratus, or do I pick a different software and ADSB/GPS reciever?

iLevil ADS-B AHRS is compatible with both Android and iPad. Here are your options with an iLevil (you can mix and match) and the features they integrate:

ANDROID
Naviator - Synthetic Vision, weather and traffic
FlightPro - Attitude Indicator, weather and traffic
iFly GPS - Attitude Indicator, weather and traffic
Avare - weather and traffic
AvNav - weather and traffic, coming soon!
ixGyro - Attitude Indicator gauge
AeroGlass - Augmented reality Glasses - Synthetic Vision, traffic, weather

APPLE
WingXPro7 - Synthetic Vision, weather and traffic
FlyQ EFB - Synthetic Vision, weather and traffic
Xavion - Synthetic Vision, weather and traffic
iFly GPS - Attitude Indicator, weather and traffic
Air Navigation Pro - Synthetic Vision
AHRS Utility - EFIS display

*weather and traffic mentioned above is specifically for ADS-B support (not internet weather)

*Attitude indicator and SV mentioned above are driven by an internal AHRS on the iLevil designed and tested for aviation-grade performance (not based on tablet's internal gyros)

Take a look at the iLevil SW at www.aviation.levil.com

Ananda Leon
"Fly straight and Levil"
Systems Engineer

I'm using a Skyguard transceiver (the model that also has an iLevil AHRS built-in) with the iFly software, primarily on my Nexus 7. Since it gives me ADS-B out, I have a much more complete traffic picture; for me it's a great combination. I also really like that I can run iFly or WingX or Xavion on my iPad as well..all of them hooked into the Skyguard at the same time.

I downloaded and installed a new app called AvNav EFB just before Osh and have played with it a little. The advantage it has over Naviator is that it has seamless charts and it also has geo referenced plates. It's 5.00 a month after a 45 day trial and it supports teh Dual xps170 ADSB receiver.
I used AvNav when it was free (it was never expected to continue to be free). It seems to be a very good option for Android if it lasts.

I've been using it since they ported it to Android, early this year I believe. I had some issues with it early on in the beta stages, but it's rock solid these days. The developers are exceptionally responsive to user input, especially if it's relating to some sort of issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back