Educate me on why this plane has not sold

You guys are cruel.

I have a number of harnessed transponders on my shelf that would take less than an hour to install and check - couldn’t care about the existing wiring since running power, ground and double checking the antenna would take no time. Harnessing a transponder with encoder and antenna would take me less than an hour. Most of those transponders are $200/300 at best.

Plenty of Garmin 400’s for $1k around. Many comms for $1k let alone 1500. Everyone doesn’t need a Dynon HDX like I’m finishing on a 6 seater for a customer or a 750txi to keep up with the joneses. A garmin 696 does plenty let alone foreflight.

Paint? Since I own the paint shop I could do whatever I want, and I’d probably show a kindness to the buyer and discount the paint job a few AMU’s. Strip and paint, Matterhorn white Imron, two color stripes, back in service in two weeks.

Yup, the motor sat.

Price is too high. Someone died, IA picked it up for a song and is trying to out kids through college with the profit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Need me a can do IA like you

Hmm, a lot of airplanes flying with radios from before the Clinton era. I still have one of the original Kings from 1986 in my plane. It works fine. Along with the 1986 autopilot.

The only big red flag is the engine. I would just budget an overhaul.

Remember, the question was why hasn’t it sold.

It's got a nice clean belly. Which sadly is the least distressing pic in the gallery. :)

If a plane has been sitting that long then everything from pulleys, cables, pitot system, fuel tanks, door handle hardware, etc. are suspect. Sitting and non use are more destructive than being used.

If a plane has been sitting that long then everything from pulleys, cables, pitot system, fuel tanks, door handle hardware, etc. are suspect. Sitting and non use are more destructive than being used.
Anything rubber would be hard as a carp.

Reactions: WDD
Oh my gawd - aren’t Teslas awesome? Quick - let Me go spend over $100k for an iPad on wheels…tell me that I don’t look and feel cool in it…drat! Now everyone wants to make $100k on a new car and truck, not just Tesla…

I saw a single engine trainer, bad paint, run out, needed upholstery for $13k a couple of months ago. A few pulleys and staking a valve, 3 cylinders at 80/80, it made annual just fine. Getting upholstery and paint as we speak.

Staring at a twin for $15k complete but for old, plenty of time left in the engines and props if it wasn’t for age. An upcoming annual, some lipstick and corrosion treatment on that flying potato and she will be ready to teach others how to fly her again…

Another single engine two seat trainer run out for $18k - badly needs paint, run out engine. A narco radio is plenty enough for someone to use to learn to fly her. Some forearm grease on some surface corrosion, ultraleather on some seats on her and some grease and she’ll give someone plenty of good memories learning to fly or just piddle around.

Also a Cherokee for $15k. Needs windows, paint and probably radios. She flies but is out of annual. Not for long.

The Cherokee above at 39k?
Shiny belly only takes a rag to wipe to make it look squeaky in the bottom. It’s overpriced.

A fundamental part of economics is an airplane sells for what someone is willing to pay for it- and sadly pilots have become far too willing to open up their wallets and create demand. Oh look! There goes another Tesla! I’m not cool without one. Drat…

We bought the line that airplanes were multiplying like bunny rabbits during the Obama years and soon would fall out of the sky unless Garmin saved the day by making ADSB mandatory …and Garmin the practical sole supplier of ADSB-in for the vast majority of cockpits, with legions inundating avionics shops happily paying $13k for an IPhone with a navcomm. Pilots are spending $80k on panels to keep up with the joneses. The IFR system hasn’t appreciably changed, the mountains haven’t moved or multiplied , but hey - we al neeeeeeeed new avionics, right? It’s not like foreflight doesn’t supply enough - it’s just so much better to have it in the panel…I just don’t look as cool in my Prius…

Engine overhauls have practically doubled in price in the last five years also. So have aviation paint jobs. What about a baby Tesla? But people will KNoW I was cheap…

Airplane prices are through the roof because people are willing to overpay for each and every part of the supply chain. If we don’t feed the monster….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the people buying 100K teslae are the same ones buying your tiedown crust critters.

I don't think the people buying 100K teslae are the same ones buying your tiedown crust critters.
Quite true. We are buying 40K Teslae and getting the tax break.

I bought a Decathlon that sat for 10 years. Flew about 200 hours before it made metal. Just got a call from the engine shop saying my overhaul is done. While I waited out the cylinder shortage last year, I did a bare frame restoration under A&P supervision. Gonna have a brand new cherry airplane for maybe 100K all in.

Plenty of ways to enjoy the fruits of your labor without wasting $$.

For the right person, this aircraft might be a similar opportunity. Hopefully someone brings it back to life. We need 'em all.

Last edited:
90% of the Tesla’s sold are under 60,000.00. New model about to be announced will be under 30k.

Quite true. We are buying 40K Teslae and getting the tax break.

I bought a Decathlon that sat for 10 years. Flew about 200 hours before it made metal. Just got a call from the engine shop saying my overhaul is done. While I waited out the cylinder shortage last year, I did a bare frame restoration under A&P supervision. Gonna have a brand new cherry airplane for maybe 100K all in.

Plenty of ways to enjoy the fruits of your labor without wasting $$.

For the right person, this aircraft might be a similar opportunity. Hopefully someone brings it back to life. We need 'em all.

I noticed on TAP that this plane is now under contract.

Back