EDM 700 installation

ZackJ

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
inferno8428
Any words of advice, tips issues with EDM 700. Figured EDM 700 would be a good investment for future maintenance issues.
Whats a good rate for labor (installation)?
Parts?
Ideally Im trying to get CHT/EGT for each cylinder and fuel flow
is there any specific parts/probes that are required. Anything else that might be useful?
This is for a Piper Warrior PA-28-161 (4 cylinder)

I highly recommend an oil temp probe. That could have saved me an engine and an off airport landing a few years back.

I don't know about the 700 but, it took me about 50 hours to install my 900.
It's not hard, but it is time consuming. 700 has fewer sensors And it's not primary so I would say in the neighborhood of 25 to 35 hours to install.
That being said, before you install an ancient engine monitor, why don't you look at the price difference for an 830? They're pretty inexpensive in aircraft terms and a much better unit. if you have to buy all the sensors for the 700, the 830 might very well end up being cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That being said, before you install an ancient engine monitor, why don't you look at the price difference for an 830? They're pretty inexpensive in aircraft terms and a much better unit. if you have to buy all the sensors for the 700, the 830 might very well end up being cheaper.

And then, by the time you've spent all that time on labor, why not upgrade to the 900 or CGR-30p and make it primary.

I'm installing a 700 on my 120 soon, it actually looks pretty straight forward. I bought it used with all the probes for a bargain. Mine has CHT/EGT, carb temp and fuel flow.

As far as I can tell you install a couple probes, route them to the firewall and plug everything in.

Edm 700 unit by itself for 550... think it’s a good deal if I eventually have to spend on the probes?

I can't answer your question, but be aware, the unit itself needs to have the option installed before you can add the probe. For example, before I could have my A&P install the oil temp/pressure probe he had to send the unit back to JPI to have that option added to the unit. I forget how much it cost, but it wasn't prohibitive. But it was over $100 plus labor and shipping.

Having just upgraded from an EDM800 to an EDM930, I understand how much effort an engine monitor install (or even just an upgrade) is. It's not necessarily difficult work, there is just A LOT of it. With labor cost factored in, installing a simpler, used unit isn't as much of a money saver (over a new, modern unit) as it may seem at first.

- Martin

I am putting in an EDM-830 as we speak. I got the unit new for $2200 and was quoted 25 hours of labor for the install.

I am putting in an EDM-830 as we speak. I got the unit new for $2200 and was quoted 25 hours of labor for the install.
thats 'bout what i paid for install. in retrospect should have gone with 900, which i had brought up but my then A&P talked me out if it :mad:

Any words of advice, tips issues with EDM 700. Figured EDM 700 would be a good investment for future maintenance issues.
Whats a good rate for labor (installation)?
Parts?
Ideally Im trying to get CHT/EGT for each cylinder and fuel flow
is there any specific parts/probes that are required. Anything else that might be useful?
This is for a Piper Warrior PA-28-161 (4 cylinder)

I've done that...a day for the temperatures, a half day for the fuel flow...

Paul

An EDM 711 is STCd as a primary replacement. CHT probes and EGT probes don't take too much time to install. Added functions like carb temp do need to be factory programmed. Not hard. A primary replacement has redline limits programmed for the airplane it's STCd for and gets a CHT redline idiot light added in the panel.

Back