Edjumakatin' Barney Fife…

Tim, there is a danger into cramming too much into the lesson plan for this session. How much time are you allotted? You might have to break this up into several sessions.

-Skip

It certainly looks that way. There's some really good info online that can be found when googled in the proper way.

I'm surprised the local FD doesn't have some training resources of their own for situations like this. Is there an airport nearby that has its own crash/rescue crews? They could get a lot of info from them. Someone will have to figure out how to apply that to a small GA operation - this has to have been done, somewhere, by somebody, by now.

I would carefully mention that the FAA only bans weapons (for the average person) in the airliner world/airline ramp, and that if someone is able to have a weapon on their person outside the plane (car, walking, etc) due to law or license, they are also allowed to have one with them in the plane (absent any specific local laws to the contrary)..

I had a CHL and packed on most of my cross country trips if I knew my permit was honored at the destination.

I'm surprised the local FD doesn't have some training resources of their own for situations like this. Is there an airport nearby that has its own crash/rescue crews? They could get a lot of info from them. Someone will have to figure out how to apply that to a small GA operation - this has to have been done, somewhere, by somebody, by now.
FWIW, when I was a member of CAP we did have a guest speaker at one meeting who was a NTSB investigator, and did go over some of these concerns with us.
In the interest of simplicity for the FD guys, I'd say AFFF should be on your engines, and video recording would be a very good idea for scene documentation (even non-aviation and/or for training purposes) from arrival throughout the incident.
As for normal days and nights, AIRCRAFT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY AT ALL TIMES.

This has been a great read. I hope it goes well and you spark an interest in one or two of them.

Trying to fly the kite downwind is a good example. I was trying to think of another way, but I like the kite example. They would probably understand the difference between stopping at 60mph vs 50mph - especially if you showed them the size of the brakes in an airplane.

The only thing I can think of adding is to always call it a "Pilot Controlled" airport, not "Uncontrolled"

We occasionally get some local police at our field, but they've never "exceeded their knowledge" of what's going on. They'll look for clearly wrong things and untied aircraft.
I had a nice conversation with one guy and it was a while after noticing the name on his shirt until I realized who it was. His last name was the same as a local VOR but then it occurred to me the real reason I remembered it was that his wife (also a local police officer) was killed in the line of duty a couple of years ago.

As far as the "first responder" portion of the training goes, I found this on the FAA website and plan to take about 45 minutes reviewing modules 1 thru 3 with them:

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/first_responders/

Then we'll go out to my hangar for about 30 to 45 minutes of "hands on" training, basic discussion of airport operations and Q&A. A local ATP has volunteered to lend a hand.

I like the direction this thread has gone. Sounds like your local law/fire fighters are going to get some good benefit from this. As will the local flying community. Nice job.

You might mention ELTs on the off chance that CAP shows up at the airport to find someone who had a hard landing.

Have they started the electronic medical program yet? Much of the literature insists that a medical is needed, but that is or soon will be outdated.

Have they started the electronic medical program yet? Much of the literature insists that a medical is needed, but that is or soon will be outdated.

FAA medicals have not been required for years (if you are in the right kind of airplane).

We held the seminar last night. Four police officers (that's all of 'em) and seven firefighters from two stations attended.

I think it went quite well.

The thing that I found most interesting...

I asked the question "which is of the most value to a terrorist; my plane, an AK47, a U-Haul truck, or a 737?

The response was unanimous.

My plane.

Kind of off topic, but the way you described these guys makes me wonder if when they are angry and they throw down their hat, does it make a comical "boing!!" sound and bounce back up to their head?

Kind of off topic, but the way you described these guys makes me wonder if when they are angry and they throw down their hat, does it make a comical "boing!!" sound and bounce back up to their head?

Nahh, they're good people with good intentions. They just have many of the same misconceptions as the general public.

We held the seminar last night. Four police officers (that's all of 'em) and seven firefighters from two stations attended.

I asked the question "which is of the most value to a terrorist; my plane, an AK47, a U-Haul truck, or a 737?

My plane.

I like to compare my airplane to a full dress Harley Davidson. They weigh about the same, they can get to about the same speeds, but if you want to attack a building, the mass of the Harley is concentrated in a small volume, but mine is spread out over a 30 foot wingspan that makes it hard to penetrate a building. And, while I can carry a little more gas, the gas is in those 30 foot wings which are not going to make it through a wall.

Which would you attack a building with?

My plane.

Please, tell us more about the meeting. Did you change any perceptions?

Btw, great job for doing this.

It just occurred to me that I should have put you in touch with Angie Tim!

Please, tell us more about the meeting. Did you change any perceptions?

Btw, great job for doing this.

I'm confident that they're far more informed this morning than they were yesterday morning.

As I also just said on another site:

I can't imagine how this could've been pulled off in the days before the internet. All the attendees thought the FAA's online slideshow was quite informative. And part two of program went quite well only because of all the great feedback I got from you folks here.

Thanks to all. It was a lot of work to throw this together in 10 days but well worth it.

Great job.

Now, polish it up a bit, then sell yourself as a "consultant".

Great job.

He, he, maybe!

I wanted to wait until after the fact to tell the rest of the story..........

A pilot from Harrison, AR sends out a weekly update on upcoming fly-ins in OK, KS, MO, and AR.** Last week's update included info on a fly-in being held today in Pocahontas, AR. "Antique planes and cars" was the tickler.

"Hmmm", I thought to myself, "that might be fun, it's only a 45 minute flight."

So, at Thursday night's seminar we had a "door prize". Anyone interested in going to Pocahontas today threw their name in the hat. About half of them did and at the end of the evening a name was drawn.

I'm a big believer in Karma...

...and Karma it was...

The young man who was the impetus for this training won the trip.

He'd never been in a small plane before but he flew about half the way down and all the way back. He wanted to experience some of the more fun stuff of flying so I did a few steep turns for him, some slow flight and, upon our return to 0T3 we did a high speed pa....ummm, a wildlife clearing practice approach. ;)

The bottom line is we had a blast and here's Nick posing with our trusty steed upon return to 0T3:

23466-Nick%2Csmall.jpg

**if you want to get on the e-mailing list to receive these fly-in notices just send your request to andya[at]diamondcity[dot]net

I have 5 bucks on Nick getting flight training soon...:yesnod::yesnod:
He'd love to but at 23 years-old, getting paid small town cop wages and his first baby on the way...

...I seriously doubt it...

...very unfortunately.

You took Barney Fife flying? :rofl:

Did he leave his bullet on the ground? :rofl:

Did Andy give him permission? :rofl:

You know he is gonna make you a deputy also and commandeer your plane for a search party for Aunt B's dog. :rofl:

Good stuff, small town living at it's best. ;)

Great job.

By definition, he already is!:redface:

Furthermore, he's probably more useful and more knowledgable than most "consultants" that I've seen in my industry over the las 25 years or so.:eek:

You took Barney Fife flying? :rofl:

Did he leave his bullet on the ground? :rofl:

Did Andy give him permission? :rofl:

You know he is gonna make you a deputy also and commandeer your plane for a search party for Aunt B's dog. :rofl:

Good stuff, small town living at it's best. ;)

Aunt Bee has a dog?:confused:

He, he, maybe!

A pilot from Harrison, AR sends out a weekly update on upcoming fly-ins in OK, KS, MO, and AR.** Last week's update included info on a fly-in being held today in Pocahontas, AR. "Antique planes and cars" was the tickler.

So, at Thursday night's seminar we had a "door prize". Anyone interested in going to Pocahontas today threw their name in the hat. About half of them did and at the end of the evening a name was drawn.

...and Karma it was...

He'd never been in a small plane before but he flew about half the way down and all the way back. He wanted to experience some of the more fun stuff of flying so I did a few steep turns for him, some slow flight and, upon our return to 0T3 we did a high speed pa....ummm, a wildlife clearing practice approach. ;)

The bottom line is we had a blast and here's Nick posing with our trusty steed upon return to 0T3:

23466-Nick%2Csmall.jpg

**if you want to get on the e-mailing list to receive these fly-in notices just send your request to andya[at]diamondcity[dot]net

Good job on the seminar and the flight!

How do I get the newsletter on the fly ins? I'm close enough to OK and AR that I would like to be seeing it.

He, he, maybe!

...and Karma it was...

Did you shine a bright flashlight in his eyes while yall were on the taxiway?

Good job on the seminar and the flight!

How do I get the newsletter on the fly ins? I'm close enough to OK and AR that I would like to be seeing it.

Doc,

I think you send an email.

See here:

Back