Edit ForeFlight with an external editor?

manac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Manac
ForeFlight Checklist

Is there a way to convert the binary to text or XML to edit in notepad++ or something?
I have a large custom set of checklists and an iPad sucks for data entry.

Nope. I'm in the same boat. I've read a lot of posts of people trying to crack the encryption and/or requesting the feature directly from Foreflight, but nothing yet. It makes no sense to have such a mundane feature locked down so tight.

Nope. I'm in the same boat. I've read a lot of posts of people trying to crack the encryption and/or requesting the feature directly from Foreflight, but nothing yet. It makes no sense to have such a mundane feature locked down so tight.

What?!?!?

An Apple App locked down? You don't say!

No. It wo

Hmmmm.... Having been part of the software biz I didn't realize proprietary software was exclusive to Apple. I thought it was a developer option regardless of operating system.

Depends on the agreement with the caretaker of the walled garden. I would have said similar if it was a Garmin product.

Not an Apple issue at all. Garmin Pilot on an iPad will easily allow what the OP is asking for, an offline way to edit checklists. Foreflight is the "villain" on this one.
Ironic that a Garmin product running on Apple hardware has more flexibility :).

Yet another thing I like about my iFly 740b. It has a pdf reader. Put my checklists into pdf format and upload ‘em. Easy-peasy.

Not an Apple issue at all. Garmin Pilot on an iPad will easily allow what the OP is asking for, an offline way to edit checklists. Foreflight is the "villain" on this one.
Ironic that a Garmin product running on Apple hardware has more flexibility :).

In this case: Yay, Boeing!

Plan B might be a $15 bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the ipad....

Jim

“Plan B might be a $15 bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the ipad....
Jim”

NOPE - need a paper copy too, plus word processing or spreadsheets on an iOS just sucks.
This would be easy to put a checklist editor into their web based ForeFlight
Another reason to switch to Garmin pilot.

Depends on the agreement with the caretaker of the walled garden. I would have said similar if it was a Garmin product.
Oh, if you are referring to ForeFlight as the caretaker, I'll agree. But Apple? I can create, upload, and download checklists to and from MiraCheck in any spreadsheet program as well as within the iOS and Android apps and through a pretty decent web interface. Apple is definitely not preventing it.

Yet another thing I like about my iFly 740b. It has a pdf reader. Put my checklists into pdf format and upload ‘em. Easy-peasy.
If your choice is to go with paper-equivalent pdf checklists rather than electronic checklists (there is a difference), Foreflight accommodates it just fine. And if you choose to run them in a separate app, you can do that too.

.....Yup, FF does that too. I have the manuals for our avionics all in the Documents section of FF in PDF format. Just another way the OP could handle his original issue.

Jim

“Plan B might be a $15 bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the ipad....
Jim”

NOPE - need a paper copy too, plus word processing or spreadsheets on an iOS just sucks.
This would be easy to put a checklist editor into their web based ForeFlight
Another reason to switch to Garmin pilot.
I've tried exporting data from foreflight's checklist files too, but indeed they are encrypted. Would be nice if they could change that. If you're looking for a good way to make a nice looking paper checklist, I run a website called FlightChecklists dot com which allows you to design aviation checklists without all the fussing with Word or others. Plus, it exports as PDF...

Back