Ebola in New York now

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
Cnn reporting a doc who returned from Africa tested positive.

Cnn reporting a doc who returned from Africa tested positive.

The guy was at a bowling alley the day before he tested positive!!!!!!!!! He's been statesite 10 days now.

From what I've heard

These cases will now become routine now that travel restrictions are not going to be mandatory. The cost to communities will be high, but that is what the current government has said is acceptable risk.

These cases will now become routine now that travel restrictions are not going to be mandatory. The cost to communities will be high, but that is what the current government has said is acceptable risk.

It is called "freedom." Its the same reason that DHS should not exist.

Blood samples from suspected Ebola patients are being sent to CDC in Atlanta for confirmation of the diagnosis. Are they sent by FedEx? By General Aviation? Who knows what we could encounter on the ramp at PDK.

National news now has the story,let the panic begin,it is New York .

Lets hope the guys pulls through. He's a doctor trying to fight the out break in west Africa. Probably some non conforming white guy. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some thoughts on Ebola and Africa -

This blowback in New York is yet another consequence of Westerners meddling in African affairs. Before MSF got involved bringing their foreign ideas of Ebola treatment, the bush-meat-eating citizens of the affected countries knew perfectly well that the virus can be killed through the use of hot chocolate, Nescafe, milk, sugar and two raw onions taken once a day for three days (Reuters).

It is my opinion from my exposure to it that the critical ingredient in this mix of remedies is Nescafe. Three spoons of it in a cup of hot water will kill just about anything. That is just my opinion (I'm not a doctor), but it does happen to coincide with the native wisdom of the Africans.

We are all Africans of course, but we need to leave the Africans that stayed in Africa . . . alone. Ever since Stanley and Livingstone brought Africa to the attention of "civilization", we've done nothing but cause trouble. The place is far worse off now than it was then - thanks especially to the missionaries and their deluded, poisonous ways . . . but also the myriad NGO's & "aid" agencies and everyone else who went there and go there to exploit the resources, the people and most unfortunately the fabulous animals who now, along with the forests, are almost gone.

Paul Allen and Gates with their multi-million dollar contributions are just making things worse while getting their tax write-offs. If they want to be of service to the planet they should use their money instead to buy as much of the continent as they can, in the model of the Nature Conservancy.

Africa should have been cordoned off early on (similar to Antarctica) as the Earth's Nature Reserve. The Ebola virus, malaria, HIV, River Blindness & the rest of their afflictions are Mother Nature's way of trying to save what is left of Africa. She and the Africans themselves will just laugh at our soldiers, our bunny suits, and our (not mine) continuing presumptuousness. Mother Nature and the native Africans know what they're doing. Leave them to it.

Quarantine NYC! Travel Ban should be in effect between the Boroughs and in or out of them for at least the next 21 days!

Screw quarantine, fire bombs all around! Let's just get it over with so all the doomsayers can finally have their day!

Just like 1918, people will learn to self quarantine!!! Unfortunately, many could die before people get that smart!

Also, Henning we can knock out 27M people for you. This will help get the world back down to a sustainable number!

It's odd how the one possibility that the experts never seem to entertain is that they're simply wrong about Ebola's communicability.

Rich

It's odd how the one possibility that the experts never seem to entertain is that they're simply wrong about Ebola's communicability.

Rich

If they were *that* wrong, there would be a whole lot more dead people from this virus in West Africa.

Well at JFK we followed the CDC guidelines when he entered the country. I guess it worked out well. The poor officer that processed him damn near fell over when we pulled him in the office to let him know.

Some thoughts on Ebola and Africa -

This blowback in New York is yet another consequence of Westerners meddling in African affairs. Before MSF got involved bringing their foreign ideas of Ebola treatment, the bush-meat-eating citizens of the affected countries knew perfectly well that the virus can be killed through the use of hot chocolate, Nescafe, milk, sugar and two raw onions taken once a day for three days (Reuters).

It is my opinion from my exposure to it that the critical ingredient in this mix of remedies is Nescafe. Three spoons of it in a cup of hot water will kill just about anything. That is just my opinion (I'm not a doctor), but it does happen to coincide with the native wisdom of the Africans.

We are all Africans of course, but we need to leave the Africans that stayed in Africa . . . alone. Ever since Stanley and Livingstone brought Africa to the attention of "civilization", we've done nothing but cause trouble. The place is far worse off now than it was then - thanks especially to the missionaries and their deluded, poisonous ways . . . but also the myriad NGO's & "aid" agencies and everyone else who went there and go there to exploit the resources, the people and most unfortunately the fabulous animals who now, along with the forests, are almost gone.

Paul Allen and Gates with their multi-million dollar contributions are just making things worse while getting their tax write-offs. If they want to be of service to the planet they should use their money instead to buy as much of the continent as they can, in the model of the Nature Conservancy.

Africa should have been cordoned off early on (similar to Antarctica) as the Earth's Nature Reserve. The Ebola virus, malaria, HIV, River Blindness & the rest of their afflictions are Mother Nature's way of trying to save what is left of Africa. She and the Africans themselves will just laugh at our soldiers, our bunny suits, and our (not mine) continuing presumptuousness. Mother Nature and the native Africans know what they're doing. Leave them to it.

http://youtu.be/wKjxFJfcrcA

Rich

That's exactly what the 'fixer' Ron Klain is hired to do. The czar knows what to do.:rolleyes:

You will be told what to think.

Is it unreasonable to expect a 21 day quarantine upon arrival in any country when it likely that one has been exposed to a disease?

Screw quarantine, fire bombs all around! Let's just get it over with so all the doomsayers can finally have their day!

Just like 1918, people will learn to self quarantine!!! Unfortunately, many could die before people get that smart!

Nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. ;)

Build a wall around it and make it a prison. If we need anything from there we'll send in snake. Gliders are cheap.

Rich

Maybe. I'm still waiting for the first case in the U.S. that was not transmitted in a hospital. Then I'll panic. Until that happens, though, maybe the experts are correct. Their statements sure do have a "Don't panic, all is well!" vibe.

Maybe. I'm still waiting for the first case in the U.S. that was not transmitted in a hospital. Then I'll panic. Until that happens, though, maybe the experts are correct. Their statements sure do have a "Don't panic, all is well!" vibe.

The incessant mantra of official assurances that Ebola's really not very contagious seem inconsistent with the fact that medical professionals who are experts in infections disease control, who observed the established protocols, and who used the best-available protective gear, are still becoming infected. To me, it hints of at least the possibility of political correctness trumping science.

Does anyone know at what point post-exposure the blood test for Ebola is reliable? A quarantine requirement for returning travelers might (or might not) be excessively intrusive, depending on whether the experts are right or wrong in their understanding of the disease's contagion potential. But a blood test would be reasonable if, in fact, it were reliable within a short time frame from exposure.

Rich

Gee nobody believes the official govt story anymore. What is this Russia?

I've been trying to piece together the different news reports, and this morning there was a clarification from the hospital. The guy came to the US, knowing he'd been working with Ebola patients. He was self monitoring, taking his temps twice a day. He called in when he saw his temp reach 100.3 (early reports said 103, but that was corrected this morning.) He contacted his employer and another hospital, then sealed himself in his apartment until folks in hazmat suits could get him isolated.

That's my position. The only cases I know of that were actually transmitted in the US were the two nurses that were given improper instructions and equipment. I think we're going to have to find a different method to "cull the herd" of excess humans.

I hope people realize that Dr's, Nurse's, etc are not taught HAZMAT! They have sharps containers and bio bags everywhere, but that is the norm! So yes, providers will be the first to get exposed.

I hope people realize that Dr's, Nurse's, etc are not taught HAZMAT! They have sharps containers and bio bags everywhere, but that is the norm! So yes, providers will be the first to get exposed.
Even in my veterinary hospital, I am REQUIRED to have formal training programs regarding every type of hazardous material we have on site. We have to have spill kits with masks, gloves, and all sorts of disposable clean up material. All new employees must undergo HAZMAT training prior to being allowed to go to work. AND every employee must undergo recurring training on an annual basis, and this training must be documented. We have to document how we identify and create hazardous waste and we have do document when and how all of it is disposed of. Our RED book has to contain all of our written procedures, contacts and receipts. Our MSDS book has to include information on almost everything in the hospital that you shouldn't drink or put in your eyes. We have been inspected by the Dept of Health three times in the past 18 months. (The second two we passed with flying colors). And this doesn't even include the inspections of our x-ray equipment. Or the fire prevention equipment inspection. Or the employment poster inspection. Or any of the dozen other inspections we undergo annually.

Are you saying that human hospitals are held to lesser standards?

Oh no, another case! Egad, the epidemic! Egad, the humanity!

Of course, the one guy who died was fevering, vomiting, and bleeding out the eyes in the same small apartment as form other people who didn't get it. But lets worry ourselves ragged! Ebola!

Rich

What makes them experts in the first place is that they have devoted their lives to study communicable diseases, including Ebola. The hypothesis of airborne transmission has been considered, tested and rejected, based both on infection rates and patters in nature, as well as through well controlled laboratory experiments.

The incessant mantra of official assurances that Ebola's really not very contagious seem inconsistent with the fact that medical professionals who are experts in infections disease control, who observed the established protocols, and who used the best-available protective gear, are still becoming infected. To me, it hints of at least the possibility of political correctness trumping science.

Have you ever had to wear PPE to protect yourself against really nasty stuff? Now do that on a daily basis, for weeks. Now do that in a high-risk environment in a third-world medical facility where you're relying not only on you doing everything right but everyone else around you doing everything right.

An MD catching Ebola while working in that environment does strike not me as an error in the PPE requirements. The best analogy I can think of is of a soldier getting killed by an IED while riding in an MRAP. You're protected, but sometimes the bomb is going to find a weak spot.

Jeff

Have you ever had to wear PPE to protect yourself against really nasty stuff?

Yes.

Now do that on a daily basis, for weeks. Now do that in a high-risk environment in a third-world medical facility where you're relying not only on you doing everything right but everyone else around you doing everything right.

Umm.... The necessity for such exacting precautions as you describe really doesn't bolster my confidence in the consistently-downplayed official statements regarding the disease's communicability.

An MD catching Ebola while working in that environment does strike not me as an error in the PPE requirements. The best analogy I can think of is of a soldier getting killed by an IED while riding in an MRAP. You're protected, but sometimes the bomb is going to find a weak spot.

So basically, the operation was a success, but the patient died.

Rich

What makes them experts in the first place is that they have devoted their lives to study communicable diseases, including Ebola. The hypothesis of airborne transmission has been considered, tested and rejected, based both on infection rates and patters in nature, as well as through well controlled laboratory experiments.

There is nothing resembling unanimous agreement on that question.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1541821/ebola-is-airborne-university-of-minnesota-cidrap-researchers-claim/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...lethal-virus-spread-pigs-monkeys-contact.html

http://guardianlv.com/2014/09/experts-dispute-the-potential-for-the-ebola-virus-to-go-airborne/

Rich

Yes.

Umm.... The necessity for such exacting precautions as you describe really doesn't bolster my confidence in the consistently-downplayed official statements regarding the disease's communicability.

So basically, the operation was a success, but the patient died.

Rich

If communicability was easier than claimed, we would have a major issue with more locally infected patients at this point. As it is the numbers we have are well within the parameters of normal statistical outliers of the model the CDC has always presented. What the future may bring to this may change things, but at this point the CDC claims as to low communicability seem to be holding up.

Back