Eating a Soup Sandwich

Coloradokevin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Coloradokevin
Eating a Soup Sandwich (AKA: Flying poorly)

Ever enjoy one of those famous Soup Sandwiches of the aviation world? I'm sure we all have, but sometimes they just seem to come out of nowhere!

Like so many of us who pilot light single engine aircraft, my flying has been limited due to nasty weather this winter. I've cancelled three flights in the month since my last flight, all due to unsafe weather conditions.

Today I finally got the chance to take the wife up in a C152, and I really couldn't have asked for better weather: 65 degrees, virtually no wind (8 knots or less), and 50 mile visibility. It was the kind of day where even a rookie pilot who had just been cleared to solo could grease every landing. This weather sits in stark contrast to every other day I've flown since October… usually I'm facing winds in excess of 15 knots, with a few flights hammering us with surface-level winds well over 20 knots.

My wife and I took off with the intention of doing a couple of laps around the pattern, before heading up north for a bit of sightseeing. In the words made famous by "Top Gun", the pattern was definitely 'full' today. On downwind I had three other Cessna singles in front of me, and another one on short final to Rwy 30L. So, it was definitely a touch busy, and I was a touch rusty, but it was simply PERFECT weather.

Anyway, I set up for my first landing, and then came back to earth with one of the most spectacularly uninspiring "arrivals" I've had since primary training some 15 years ago. Not only did I jolt us a bit harder than I'd have liked, I also think I caught a bit of the left toe brake (we all know where this is going), which caused us to veer toward the side of the relatively large paved runway. I stayed off the grass at least, slowed it way down, then realigned myself with the middle of this 75 foot wide runway before adding the power again for the "go" part of the "touch-and-go". The takeoff wasn't spectacular either… I gently brought the yoke back at 55 knots, like I usually do, but the airplane took a bit longer than normal to start clawing its way into our thin air (7,200 foot DA). My wife sat quietly beside me, but I could feel the scorn and anxiety just silently oozing from her.

We went around the pattern again, with my confidence a wee bit shaken. This time I came in with a slightly worse pattern (dodging other traffic), but was still set up to easily accept the landing by short final. I caught a bit of sinking right before the threshold, as I often do on this runway, and I added a bit of power to compensate. I was right on the centerline for this landing, and was much more cognizant of not letting my heels leave the floor this time. But, I flared just a touch too soon, and set the plane down a touch harder than I would have liked. This wasn't the kind of landing that damages aircraft, or even really rattles pilots, but on the heels of the prior arrival, it was definitely enough that my non-pilot spouse was probably starting to wonder if I'd lost the touch… or my mind.

Anyway, I decided to depart the pattern after this landing, and go do a little sightseeing. Everything went as normal from then on out, and our final landing at the airport was a non-event about an hour later.

Still, I hate having those days that leave you asking yourself if you've simply forgotten how to fly airplanes! After all, I was flying the simplest airplane in the fleet, in the best weather available! Maybe I'll include the "Soup Sandwich" approach in my logbook notes? Sigh.

Last edited:
Never heard that saying,but I like it. Nice post on the flying.

Eating a soup sandwich = getting a straw, sucking it up and driving on lol. I've been there man, hell, last weekend I went around the pattern after 3 weeks of no flying and my first landing I firmly 3 pointed it when I was sure I still had 20' of air between me and terra firma. Subsequent landings were better but nothing to brag about. I felt very embarrassed about the whole ordeal, but it's happened before during gaps in flying for me. I just get back at it as soon as I can and work the kinks out.

I can see a that a soup sandwich would easily come from together. :D

To be honest, I was picturing dunking a grilled cheese into tomato soup. My imagination had it sounding yummy. :D

I can see a that a soup sandwich would easily come from together. :D
Beat me to it! :wink2:

I'll add that the nice wx you had today is supposed to hit Ohio Saturday, so I'm looking forward to bangin' and prangin' some myself!

"Ever had a wish sandwich?

"A wish sandwich is when you have two pieces of bread and you wish you had some meat.

Bow bow bow"

---Elwood Blues

I believe "soup sandwich" has military origins. At least that's the only time I've heard the saying.

I amended the language of this thread's title to reflect the fact that (apparently) my terminology isn't very widely known! :)

A. For us old guys, a soup sandwich is actually preferred, just as described, you dip your "hard" sandwich in the soup of choice to make it easier on your false teeth. :D

B. Don't feel bad. We all have "off" days. You need to borrow my buddy. Whenever he flies with me, I make a greaser. Even if it is blowing 20G30. He is my lucky charm. :)

I was flying at the same airport today and got to chat with Kevin and his wife.

She was very nice to talk with - and I definitely got the feeling she is not a person to be trifled with. Kevin, I loved your comment "I could feel the scorn and anxiety just silently oozing from her."

But your're being harsh on yourself. I mean, they can reuse the airplane tomorrow, right?

And having been in that pattern an hour earlier myself, you were definitely not going to be the most erratic up there.

Thanks for sharing and introducing a new descriptive phrase to us.

I was flying at the same airport today and got to chat with Kevin and his wife.

She was very nice to talk with - and I definitely got the feeling she is not a person to be trifled with. Kevin, I loved your comment "I could feel the scorn and anxiety just silently oozing from her."

But your're being harsh on yourself. I mean, they can reuse the airplane tomorrow, right?

And having been in that pattern an hour earlier myself, you were definitely not going to be the most erratic up there.

Thanks for sharing and introducing a new descriptive phrase to us.

Well, I think you have Amber figured out… she looks innocent enough, but she's 105 lbs of ****-and-vinegar when she wants to be! She's the scariest person I know, but most good wives are that way, I suppose.

On the subject of landings, I have often repeated the old mantra that: "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one; if you can reuse the airplane it's a great one." So, by that standard today was excellent… no people or airplanes were harmed in the making of this post ;)

You also aren't kidding about the pattern at Metro today! That was definitely a heck of a distraction today, and qualified as its own Soup Sandwich. At one point there was a Cessna in front of me on the downwind who looked like he was riding a roller coaster. I was established at the 6,500 ft pattern altitude, and I'm guessing that he twice went 100 feet above and below me on a single circuit.

I do believe I may have had a slight tail-breeze on the one takeoff where I couldn't seem to get lift. The tower was briefly reporting wind as 010@8kts, and with the typical variability in wind at that place, it isn't entirely beyond belief to think that the wind might have shifted to a slight tail wind for Rwy 30. the takeoff roll I described above just didn't really feel very crosswindish (another new word!). The airspeed was very slow to rise on that roll, and the aircraft just really didn't want to take off for a minute once I reached an appropriate speed. Nothing to be terribly concerned with on a 7,000 foot runway, but not entirely confidence inspiring, either.

Re: Eating a Soup Sandwich (AKA: Flying poorly)

The weather went from windy to awesome today and I was solidly stuck at work. I'm hoping Sat forecast stays good. Maybe make the PUB thing. Probably can't stay longer than lunch or do the museum (been there done that anyway) because of conflict of my schedule and Karen's (she won't be making it), but me and the 182 need to go somewhere.

Already pretty windy today, though I have no plans to fly. KBJC is showing 28020KT right now and 28025G40KT later. It is 14C there and 16C at Boulder.
Should be a lot less traffic in the pattern today!

Let's all keep our fingers crossed for great weather on Monday, at least until ~1900Z so I can fly my check ride at APA.

The weather here lately has been a bit breezy, to say the least. I flew for the first time at night in almost two years at FTG last week with a pretty nasty direct crosswind and my rust wasn't helping anything. In the end, it probably makes us better pilots but for now, I'm just ready for the calm of springtime!

Anyway, I set up for my first landing, and then came back to earth with one of the most spectacularly uninspiring "arrivals" I've had since primary training some 15 years ago. Not only did I jolt us a bit harder than I'd have liked, I also think I caught a bit of the left toe brake (we all know where this is going), which caused us to veer toward the side of the relatively large paved runway.

On short final "heels up" will eliminate that ... also, "heels down" only while taxiing. Our old flight school would force the offenders to replace any tire that was flat spotted. I used to roll the AC on pre-flight inspecting the tires to insure I wasn't ever going to pay for someone else's landing.

On short final "heels up" will eliminate that ... also, "heels down" only while taxiing. Our old flight school would force the offenders to replace any tire that was flat spotted. I used to roll the AC on pre-flight inspecting the tires to insure I wasn't ever going to pay for someone else's landing.

Fortunately I didn't flat-spot any tires on this one. But, just gave it enough brake to cause a bit of a swerve. I'm not fond of landing 'out of form', though I suppose we all have that occasional landing.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed for great weather on Monday, at least until ~1900Z so I can fly my check ride at APA.

Should calm down by then... We hope. Maybe a nice blizzard instead of 73F. Hahaha. No we don't want that for your ride...

Back