Easy decision

pburger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul B.
All loaded up, taxi to fuel pad, all fueled up, fired up, and... we're not going:(.

Was getting ready to launch for a 1.5 hr trip to see the grandkids. We'd had the tickets for a train ride to the North Pole for six months, and the grandkids were waiting for us. Easy IFR (just clouds, no storms or ice). But the AI was flopping around like crazy after engine start and finally stabilized in a 45 deg bank to the left. There was a tiny little voice saying things like "you've got a turn coordinator", "the autopilot has an internal AHRS", "you'll break out in a couple of minutes", "it's clear at the destination". Nope, nope, nope, and nope! Luckily we had time in the schedule to drive. Even if we didn't, this was an easy decision.

In 30 years of aircraft ownership, I've only had a few instances where maintenance has kept me on the ground. This was one of them, but I'm not complaining. We made the train, saw Santa, and I told him I wanted an overhauled Sigma-Tek 5000B-36 for Christmas. Wouldn't you know it, it'll be here in two days!

Good choice on your options,you made a decision that will allow you to fly another day.

Yup, there are days, hopefully only a few, where our airplanes tell us they don't want to fly that day. This was definitely one of them. Had our AI take a dump last year - all fine during run up, was about to do some practice hood work (VMC) for a short flight home, as soon as I lifted off the AI completely tumbled. A good lesson in carrying post-it notes to cover inop instruments. Staring at that thing bouncing around while trying to fly under the hood was very distracting.

Good example of disciplined decision making and follow through.

Back