Easiest NY access?

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
Thinking about a last minute trip to NY next week. Looked at airline flights and while they are pretty cheap, it's a 2 hour flight plus the regular hassle of dealing with major airports. Put the info into foreflight and the flying time is the same 2 hours for me and none of the airport hustle. Just curious of experience landing at LDJ and gaining access to the city.

How much time does it take to get into the city, and what is the preferred method? I realize LDJ is a bit expensive but that's the price of doing business so close to the city.

LDJ is a NJT ride up to NY Penn Station or you can get off in Newark and take the Path over if you're going down to the WTC or wall street. The neighborhood around LDJ is not the best. Actually, commercial into Newark these days isn't that bad as they finally have a train station at the airport. It always used to **** me off when I was taking the NJT and the train would pass through the long term parking at EWR and then go to downtown and I'd have to take a bus back to the airport.

TEB --> Uber/Lyft
TEB --> Pascack valley NJT (Woodside station) --> PATH
TEB --> Uber/Lyft to Secaucus Junction --> NJT to Penn
TEB --> NJT bus to port authority

HPN --> taxi --> Metrorail

...and many more. You will find fans for Caldwell and Linden here too. TEB is expensive, parking fee, fuel overpriced by $3/gal, $17 port authority landing fee by mail. That said, Meridian has always treated me fairly and professionally.

Last edited:
To echo what Ron said, commerical into EWR isn't bad. If you can find a decent hotel in the city you'll probably save money. Last I remember, train ticket prices in and out of NYC from Newark were roughly 20$ a pop, so it can add up quick. Take the subway if all possible, much cheaper.

When I have to go down there, KTEB, KFRG are my two land plane choices, also it's not NY, it's "the city", "there", "the cesspool", "cumoland", not too hard to get into the airport, good luck with the city, keep your head on a swivel.

You'd be better enjoying the north country, Boston, BTV, etc, but to each their own, good luck and God speed :)

To echo what Ron said, commerical into EWR isn't bad. If you can find a decent hotel in the city you'll probably save money. Last I remember, train ticket prices in and out of NYC from Newark were roughly 20$ a pop, so it can add up quick. Take the subway if all possible, much cheaper.

NJT one-way from Newark to Penn Station is $5.25. No subway connection across the Hudson. Path is $2.75

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure commercial would be easiest but flying the hudson would be pretty cool too. I'm a little intimidated though as getting slow in the Venture ruins a lot of visibility out of the front.

NJT one-way from Newark to Penn Station is $5.25. No subway connection across the Hudson. Path is $2.75
I must be thinking of something else, because I thought it was much higher than $5.25.

The subway transportation I was referring to was once you're in the city.

teb and you will almost always find a limo dropoff that would be glad not to deadhead back to nyc an give you a deal .for your return uber

Gettting across the river can be a drag in any kind of motor vehicle. The schedule of the train that goes right past TEB can be inconvenient. The Secaucus Junction station is a 10-15min cab/uber/lyft ride from TEB and has trains every couple of minutes. It is one stop from Penn Station in NY. It is also one station from Hoboken where you can transfer to the PATH for lower manhattan.

FRG will be a whole lot cheaper than TEB. It's a quick 35 minute train ride to Penn Station.

If you go that route, Sheltair is the FBO, took really good care of me when I was down there for work, can't say enough.

FRG or HPN are my preference. Depending on where you are coming going to. I prefer Sheltair at FRG. The station is about 5 minutes away and the LIRR will take you into Penn Station on the West Side of the city. Ross (West) is my preference at HPN. Uber to the station is around $18 taking about 15 minutes and it is around $9 to Grand Central, on the East side of Manhattan from there.

How about LGA?
LGA Beaucoup expensive (I checked into this when I had to go to Flushing), it was about $200 in fees for a short stop.

FRG rots on a nice weekend if you're VFR- it's lousy with students going around and around in the pattern. The one time I flew in there I spent more time from startup to wheels up than I did flying back to Pennsylvania.

Aside from the fees, LGA is going to be a taxi nightmare.

The few days I spent at FRG, I was leaving the airport for the water and comming right back in, really never even breaking 1k MSL, back and forth, never had much of a delay from firing up to wheels up, or contacting tower to direct into the downwind. Maybe it's how to phrased it, or maybe it was slower when I was there?

I've also found going into airspace like this, you can really save time and PITA factor if you can do it VFR.

How about LGA?

Do not come to LGA. Even if the high costs don't scare you, the threat of an hour+ taxi for departure at any given time should. It's one of the least GA friendly airports anywhere in the country.

It depends how you want to get into the city, are you renting a car or do you plan on mass transit? Personally, I prefer KHPN. It's the least hassle in term of traffic and the only toll-free way of getting into the city. Hutchinson River Parkway - Cross-Country Parkway - I-87 - Madison Ave bridge

From there you can take the FDR to Midtown

We went to NYC at the end of August. Arrived on a Sat and departed on a Wed. Saw some of NYC and a couple of days of the US Open (tennis). We used FRG. Took the train between FRG and NYC. Used Talon Air at FRG. Great FBO. They drove us to the train station and back. Easy in and out. Came from the south (Atlanta), up the east side of DC and Philly. Departed to the north for a few days on Cape Cod.

No one mentioned Morristown (MMU) and I'd like shotgun please.

Last time I went to NYC, we landed at CDW and rented a car. From the west the costs were the most economical. If you were coming from the northeast, I'd suggest FRG.

LDJ and TEB get expensive fast. If you don't want a car in the city, though, LDJ is probably your best option. FRG they can also get you to the train to get into the city, but it will add extra time.

LIRR from FRG to Penn is 50-55mins, cab is about 10 bucks from FRG to Farmingdale. And if you're unlucky, get ready for some seriously crazy taxi times. I've been nr. 12 for departure a few times. Otherwise it's a good airport.

No one mentioned Morristown (MMU) and I'd like shotgun please.
Yep. KMMU avoids flying over water. It's a nice a/p, in a nice part on NJ. Don't know about the latest on fees, but the last time I was there, Signature waived overnight fee with fuel purchase.

From MMU, taxi or Uber to NJT station in Morristown (10 minutes), then train to NY Penn station (usually one hour).

Yep. KMMU avoids flying over water. It's a nice a/p, in a nice part on NJ. Don't know about the latest on fees, but the last time I was there, Signature waived overnight fee with fuel purchase.

From MMU, taxi or Uber to NJT station in Morristown (10 minutes), then train to NY Penn station (usually one hour).
Don't forget to check the train schedule. They don't come by every few minutes, you could have a long wait depending on day/time of arrival.
http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

The trains run off hours every half hour from Morristown to NY Penn Station. This is increased two ways during rush hour. First, the electrics that go all the way into NYC run every 20 minutes. In addition, they run diesels which stop at Newark--Broad St. Broad Street station is the confluence of several lines and you can continue in on any of the electrics into NY Penn Station.

I've used HPN, FRG, and MMU in my 172. I found HPN to be best overall, but any of them are OK, just depends what direction you're coming from.

Thats what I do... FRG, cab ride to either Farmingdale [LIRR] or Hicksville [LIRR]...

RDUPilot

LIRR from FRG to Penn is 50-55mins, cab is about 10 bucks from FRG to Farmingdale. And if you're unlucky, get ready for some seriously crazy taxi times. I've been nr. 12 for departure a few times. Otherwise it's a good airport.
Talon drove us to the Farmingdale LIRR station and picked us there on the way back. No cab/Uber needed.

Back