Earth Rise

SkyDog58

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Canis Non Grata
NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg

Often lost in the hoopla of other Apollo missions, Apollo 8 was very significant. It was the first time that mankind left Earth orbit and orbited another world. It was also the first time that we as a people were able to see our world in the context of space. Not a view you get while still in Earth's orbit.

This December 24, it will be 50 years since this grand achievement in the history of mankind. So raise a glass to Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and William Anders, who truly went where no man had gone before.

:cheers:

I saw that photo in Capricorn One. :)

Seriously, the Apollo 8 book is a very compelling read

Was glued to the 12” B&W in the den the whole time. The only thing that could distract me from the Christmas tree at that age.

25 year’s later (and 25 years ago, now that I think about it) Bill Anders was the commencement speaker when I received my masters degree, and I shook his hand as I walked across the stage.

Was glued to the 12” B&W in the den the whole time. The only thing that could distract me from the Christmas tree at that age.

Same for me. Anytime there was something going up in space at that time I was there in front of the Tv and nothing could pry me away from countdown to splash down.

Same for me. Anytime there was something going up in space at that time I was there in front of the Tv and nothing could pry me away from countdown to splash down.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Same here. As long as I kept my grades up in school my parents let me stay up all night watching first the Gemini and then the Apollo missions coverage.

He now runs an aviation museum at BVS. flys a t-34 from Anacortes. I see him often

He now runs an aviation museum at BVS. flys a t-34 from Anacortes. I see him often

Not a bad gig for an 85 year old pilot!

I see their Skyraider and Val-Halla at Abbie every summer.

"We came all this way to explore the Moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the Earth." -- William Anders

I post this on my FB feed every Christmas Eve. Most of the flights to that point were low earth orbit - 250 miles. These guys went 240,000 miles. Way to push the envelop.

I remember TVs being around the school when I was in junior high during the Gemini program. It was a major distraction, and well worth it. Then I remember TVs being around the plant at Martin Marietta when the shuttle first launched. I get emails today whenever Space X is going to launch. I'm a space junkie. What can I say?

Those guys were pretty damned brave to be the first ones to ride that monster.

That's for sure. It was the first all-up flight of the Saturn V. Lovell, Borman, and Anders were pretty cool customers.

I think Jim Lovell is way underrated in the hierarchy of significant astronauts and their accomplishments.

I think Jim Lovell is way underrated in the hierarchy of significant astronauts and their accomplishments.

Agreed. Extremely well respected and liked among his peers, an eternal optimist, and one of the few who can really articulate the experience of going into space...he effectively taps into the wonder and awe of it all. Such a powerful force to inspire future scientists & astronauts.

Back