Earned my MBA today...

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Finally did it. I have achieved the state of Master of Bacon Arts. I have reproduced 3 times now a pan of PERFECT bacon.

Years of study and dedication to experimentation have born fruit. Perfectly crisp bacon, not a gooey spot on a strip and no hint of "burnt".

I'm jealous.
Not only because I cannot cook a perfect pan of bacon,
But even if I could, my wife wouldn't let me, (at least not until I lose that other 30#s I promised).
30 down, 30 to go, then re-evaluate how far under 200 I want to go.

I'm rather fond of baked bacon with a bit of brown sugar for a sweet crisp without destroying the bacon itself.

You are an utter disaster if you had the slightest difficulty making bacon taste good. You want to brag about cooking. Cook beans. And don't use bacon, sausage, or any other meat whilst doing so. Let me know how it turns out.

I'm jealous.
Not only because I cannot cook a perfect pan of bacon,
But even if I could, my wife wouldn't let me, (at least not until I lose that other 30#s I promised).
30 down, 30 to go, then re-evaluate how far under 200 I want to go.

I have lost 20 lbs in the last 8 weeks and in that time I have consumed 3-12oz packs of bacon 4oz at a time.:D Moderation and portion control is a good thing. I haven't changed what I eat at all except that I now only have an occasional sweetened drink from the store.

You are an utter disaster if you had the slightest difficulty making bacon taste good. You want to brag about cooking. Cook beans. And don't use bacon, sausage, or any other meat whilst doing so. Let me know how it turns out.

Beans without meat??? Never heard about it. The art of cooking bacon has NOTHING to do with taste (except avoiding burning), it is ALL about texture.

Do you lay the bacon in the pan before turning on the heat? A technique I picked up recently.

Do you lay the bacon in the pan before turning on the heat? A technique I picked up recently.

Actually, the other way around. My stove has 5 buttons for heat range. I heat the pan on button 4 while I pull out the bacon, hit button 2 and put the bacon in and leave it. 5-10 minutes later I come back to flip it. I can now walk away from the bacon for half an hour and it will never become overdone. When it stops sizzling on 2, I hit 3 and get it up to sizzling again, flip for a minute and then move it onto the paper towel sandwich flipping that a couple times over the course of a minute to drain, and Voila! Perfect Bacon

I have lost 20 lbs in the last 8 weeks and in that time I have consumed 3-12oz packs of bacon 4oz at a time.:D Moderation and portion control is a good thing. I haven't changed what I eat at all except that I now only have an occasional sweetened drink from the store.

Last edited:
Beans without meat??? Never heard about it. The art of cooking bacon has NOTHING to do with taste (except avoiding burning), it is ALL about texture.

Lots of folks do it. Beans and rice, peasant food the world over.

Finally did it. I have achieved the state of Master of Bacon Arts. I have reproduced 3 times now a pan of PERFECT bacon.

Years of study and dedication to experimentation have born fruit. Perfectly crisp bacon, not a gooey spot on a strip and no hint of "burnt".

Congratulations on your achievement. Crispy is the ONLY way to have bacon. A cast iron skillet is the preferred implement. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Henning is on a roll, let him enjoy his moment is the frying pan. He just learned to boil water last week.

Henning, you do know that crap is bad for you right? :rofl:

Come in my kitchen and cook something in my cast iron bacon skillet, I DARE YOU. My buddy almost got his head taken off. It's all about temperature control, you do not want it to curl and bacon presses are for noobs. AND PLEASE get the good stuff from the deli not the prepackaged crap (that stuff is bad for you, you know). Once you get the basic technique down, you can start to "stair step" the bacon without sacrificing quality, when the first pieces shrink add a piece, when that shrinks add another, like a bacon assembly line.

Next up is your PHD, Home depot sells decent ones, but you can do better.

Henning is on a roll, let him enjoy his moment is the frying pan. He just learned to boil water last week.

Henning, you do know that crap is bad for you right? :rofl:

My grandma told me everything in moderation...

To cook perfect bacon it is best to bake it in the oven. Place it on a cookie sheet and bake it a 400* remove when cooked to the crispness you like.

To cook perfect bacon it is best to bake it in the oven. Place it on a cookie sheet and bake it a 400* remove when cooked to the crispness you like.

Nope, I used to do that, it was a trick I learned in the oilfield along with just dropping the bacon in a deep frier (which works good BTW). I found in the oven or broiler the meat would get too tough and loose that brittle crumbling under my teeth while the crispy fat fell away from it.

Bacon is a fruit? Why didn't you tell me sooner. I've been trying to eat more fruits and vegetables. I'll have to get some bacon next time I go to the store. :rofl:

Bacon is a fruit? Why didn't you tell me sooner. I've been trying to eat more fruits and vegetables. I'll have to get some bacon next time I go to the store. :rofl:

Bacon is one of the few rare perfect foods in the world, eggs as well.

Back