Early DPE contact?

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
Is there anything wrong with calling the DPE my instructor uses before I get signed off for my checkride?? I have been reading horror stories about delays and don’t want to get trapped in that hole. I’m my part of the country I think DPE are not in shortage but I could be wrong.

I am putting the finishing touches on my IR training. Have a few hours of xc to do and then three hours of checkride prep. My instructor says I’m ready and just need to get this stuff officially done. Was planning on just getting that done, signed off and then contacting the DPE to schedule an exam as one usually does. I want to avoid finding out a month for now that there is a 3 month delay.

Nothing wrong, just tell the DPE that you are not-quite-ready to schedule a checkride and ask what his or her schedule has been looking like. Or your instructor can do it since they might know each other already.

Last edited:
You might call the examiner and ask what his availability is. Folks scheduling dates and cancelling because their CFI has not signed them off helps no one.

IMHO, talk to your CFI before you call up the DPE. Many times, CFIs have relationships with the DPEs and will know how a student calling the DPE out of the blue will go over, etc. I'd probably be a tad annoyed if one of my students just called up the DPE I use without consulting me first, as there is a certain element of relationship management that goes on between DPEs, CFIs and ultimately students.

More likely than the above, a handful of DPEs don’t want cold calls until someone is ready. Your CFI will know which ones have that particular pet peeve.

Not a big deal, but no reason to start off on the wrong foot with one who has that personal time discipline policy.

I'd leave the decision to the boss. The boss being the person paying the other two.

I was planning on talking to my CFI. Funny thing is he just called me and said it’s gonna be crappy tomorrow so let’s go up and do some checkride prep, partial panel stalls, partial panel work, and holds all in some IMC.
I talked to him and brought up some of the issue I have heard about our west and south with DPE delays. He said that he’s never had a problem getting ppl in quickly. Stressed tough but fair like 5 times. He was suprised to hear about some other peopled troubles out there but wasn’t worried.
It’s kinda funny, as I’m getting closer I feel like a bit hesistant to finish it off. Not sure why....I’m excited to move forward. But for instance I had a chance to go up and knock off two hours of xc I needed and I didn’t take it. A few weeks ago I’d be right up there. Haven’t flown in about two weeks. Getting itchy to go up though!!!

IMHO, talk to your CFI before you call up the DPE. Many times, CFIs have relationships with the DPEs and will know how a student calling the DPE out of the blue will go over, etc. I'd probably be a tad annoyed if one of my students just called up the DPE I use without consulting me first, as there is a certain element of relationship management that goes on between DPEs, CFIs and ultimately students.

There shouldn’t be. Your student should be prepared to go to any examiner in the country. I tell my students to use who they want and they set up the appointment - after all, you did sign them off to be a private pilot.

There shouldn’t be. Your student should be prepared to go to any examiner in the country. I tell my students to use who they want and they set up the appointment - after all, you did sign them off to be a private pilot.

A whole lot of DPEs won’t do a cross-FSDO ride, especially without talking to the CFI who signed off the candidate.

Right or wrong, that’s reality. Ask a few. You’ll get a wide variety of answers.

A whole lot of DPEs won’t do a cross-FSDO ride, especially without talking to the CFI who signed off the candidate.

Right or wrong, that’s reality. Ask a few. You’ll get a wide variety of answers.

Generally a DPE is married to his assigned FSDO and he cannot cross boundaries without permission, but that does not apply to the applicant who is free to go where he chooses.

I have done many of these and have yet to have a DPE call me.

Last edited:
Back