Early C182 or something else?

Sure, you can get a later model's POH from the 70's but there were several changes between 1962 and 1975; nothing drastic but when you're looking at weight and balance and things like that as a new pilot on a grass strip, it can get frustrating.
Welcome to POA, Call Textron, I'm sure they can hook you up with the POH for your plane.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjS3p2oi8nmAhWHrJ4KHdhNBs4QFjAAegQICRAC&url=https://ww2.txtav.com/technicalpublications/&usg=AOvVaw3O6c6-_ReMFixsRoHO6aiI

Last edited:
I just want to know if the OP ever pulled the trigger, or if he took one look at the market prices and decided to sit this one out for a while.

I got an RV4 for the moment. Better I figure to have something fast, fun, aerobatic and affordable while I shop for a “family plane”. 200mph @ 8.5gph is easy to get used to; now everything else seems painfully slow. Probably best to get another RV and have my wife get her license too; then we will have 4-seats.

I got an RV4 for the moment. Better I figure to have something fast, fun, aerobatic and affordable while I shop for a “family plane”. 200mph @ 8.5gph is easy to get used to; now everything else seems painfully slow. Probably best to get another RV and have my wife get her license too; then we will have 4-seats.
That's awesome, congratulations. Dang I didn't know 4s went 170ktas on that little gas, the -6As I'm looking at are closer to 150KTAS on that gas (lot of people fib about speeds, but some RV owners have been candid with me about real world cruise numbers).

Funny you ended up going the RV route while looking at 4-seaters, that's exactly what I've decided to do after 9 years of owning certified. I did it the other way around and let me tell you, though it worked out for my financials and family makeup at that time, I don't think you'll enjoy the shift to certified rules after having owned an EAB. Lord knows I wouldn't. I'm burnt the hell out of the mother may I stuff, the pricing structures, and the ever present recurring ADs, or the threat of them. Primary Non-Commercial getting snuffed back in 2015 really soured the hobby for me; tbh I don't think I ever got over it. I think you'll regret selling the RV for a certified plane.

Had a come to Jesus with the wife the other night, and she agrees. I need to go EAB or quit, there's no point in spending all this money if I'm not having fun anymore. Leave it to my wife to be the one to push for a 2-airplane solution! So RV-6A is where I got my eyes set on; I'll cross the 2-airplane cost bridge when it hits me in the face.

Blessings and a happy 2020 to you and yours!

Last edited:

The Cessna POH's for the 60's and most of the 70's are available as reproductions. You can even get them spiral bound which is helpful. It wan't until POH's became serialized to the plane that a replacement must come from Cessna. Eventually the POH's were retitled AFM's.

The old POH's were optimistic on their flight performance and quaint in their guidance for engine management. With all the instrumentation available and science developed over the years, many would not dare fly at peak EGT as the manual recommends back then.

Regarding the POH, unless y'all know something I don't (which I'm sure you know a LOT that I don't) when the FAA began requiring POHs in the mid to late 1970s, many manufacturers went back retroactively and created POHs for their previously-produced aircraft but Cessna did not. Cessna began producing the POHs when they were required to do so only. I do have the Owner's Manual for my specific aircraft but the amount of content and physical size of it is basically about the size of the bulletin you get at church on Sundays. Thanks for the welcome, AKBill; I appreciate it. Enjoying this forum for sure!

The only thing that can be difficult Mx wise on an early 182 is the jackscrew trim?

<snip>

There are aftermarket inspection panels you can add that make this an easier process, but again you have to pull the tail apart to install them.

And what's more effed up yet is that the kit isn't (or at least wasn't a few years ago) STC'ed for 182s, rather only 180s.

WTF?

it's my understanding the the two planes have the same rear fuselage structure. The 180 has no extra ribs, etc. (at least not in 1958 when mine was made, the only difference was where the gear was attached). The company who manufactures the access panel definitely had a case of cranial rectitus when they went thru the approval process. Put it on a 182 and you need field approval (or at least did).

Can you say owner produced parts?

<glances away sheepishly and whistles softly>

Last edited:
That's awesome, congratulations. Dang I didn't know 4s went 170ktas on that little gas, the -6As I'm looking at are closer to 150KTAS on that gas (lot of people fib about speeds, but some RV owners have been candid with me about real world cruise numbers).

Funny you ended up going the RV route while looking at 4-seaters, that's exactly what I've decided to do after 9 years of owning certified. I did it the other way around and let me tell you, though it worked out for my financials and family makeup at that time, I don't think you'll enjoy the shift to certified rules after having owned an EAB. Lord knows I wouldn't. I'm burnt the hell out of the mother may I stuff, the pricing structures, and the ever present recurring ADs, or the threat of them. Primary Non-Commercial getting snuffed back in 2015 really soured the hobby for me; tbh I don't think I ever got over it. I think you'll regret selling the RV for a certified plane.

Had a come to Jesus with the wife the other night, and she agrees. I need to go EAB or quit, there's no point in spending all this money if I'm not having fun anymore. Leave it to my wife to be the one to push for a 2-airplane solution! So RV-6A is where I got my eyes set on; I'll cross the 2-airplane cost bridge when it hits me in the face.

Blessings and a happy 2020 to you and yours!

Funny; my wife is an enabler too! She basically said F it, it’s your hobby get the plane you want. I got lucky since it is in a great partnership with a old friend which means I still have money left for the family plane too. Probably not a 182 at their crack prices but cherokee 180, or TriPacer would work. Slow but since I have -4 for work trips the speed on the other isn’t as important.

regarding my performance figures I think my numbers are close. We have an AIO360 with CS prop so it will move. We lean to peak and based on several 2-2.5 hour XC trips taking into account warm up, taxi, takeoff, climb, pattern, etc the numbers I gave make sense for cruise at 8000’.

have fun with your RV!

Back