Earbuds for both Apple and windows OS

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I find myself using both OS and wishing I had one set earbuds that work for either platform. The product literature that I’ve been looking at has been unclear to me. I was wondering if any of the techies could point me in a product direction?
Thanks in advance.

Wow! You mean the ones from Apple only work with Apple? In that case, buy literally anything else. I have two from Skullcandy and a few generic I picked up on Amazon and they all work with my iPad, my Android phones and tablets, and my Windows PC.

Last edited:
My apple AirPods work with my apple phone and my wife’s Samsung. I do get more setting for them on my apple device but once set up on apple those settings carry over to the android device.

bluetooth is bluetooth.
wifi is wifi.
doesn’t matter the OS.
My skullcandy works with all my Apple devices AND my car (bluetooth)
And considerably cheaper than Apple.

My apple AirPods work with my apple phone and my wife’s Samsung. I do get more setting for them on my apple device but once set up on apple those settings carry over to the android device.
I was kind of surprised when @Morgan3820 indicated they didn't.

Hmmm... I wonder if the issue is simpler. If the earbuds are Bluetooth and paired to multiple devices, there might be a "battle" between devices about which one connects. One grabs them and the other can't. I've seen that multiple times.

Hmmm... I wonder if the issue is simpler. If the earbuds are Bluetooth and paired to multiple devices, there might be a "battle" between devices about which one connects. One grabs them and the other can't. I've seen that multiple times.
Or maybe Morgan 382 is not smart enough to ask a real good question

Or maybe Morgan 382 is not smart enough to ask a real good question
If we're talking wireless, get a really good high quality Bluetooth adapter if your Windows PC doesn't already have one and any old set of Bluetooth earbuds will work.

1) AirPods work with windows, android, macOS, iOS... no problem there.
2) I didn't want to pay a premium when I needed new earbuds and tried skull candy and a couple others before giving up and buying a new set of airports. I feel certain that someone is making earbuds as good or better than the gen 3 AirPods I ended up with, but I sure didn't find them and at some point my time is worth something, so after trying 3 possible alternatives I gave up and went back to the mothership.

Airpods pair via bluetooth, but they only pair to one source at a time.

I have a plantronics headset that pairs to two sources at the same time. I can play music on my phone and when a zoom call starts on my windows PC, the plantronics headset will automatically switch to the PC as the source.

For me to replicate that with my airpods, I have to turn BT off on my phone and then pair them to the PC.

2) I didn't want to pay a premium when I needed new earbuds and tried skull candy and a couple others before giving up and buying a new set of airports. I feel certain that someone is making earbuds as good or better than the gen 3 AirPods I ended up with, but I sure didn't find them and at some point my time is worth something, so after trying 3 possible alternatives I gave up and went back to the mothership.
The Sony wf1000xm4s are pretty damn good

For quality, it's not earbuds regardless of the brand, it's studio, quality, over the ear headset.

I'm happy with the skullcandy earbuds because I don't expect high-end sound. I haven't checked out the Bose yet, not willing to pay the price.

For quality, it's not earbuds regardless of the brand, it's studio, quality, over the ear headset.

I'm happy with the skullcandy earbuds because I don't expect high-end sound. I haven't checked out the Bose yet, not willing to pay the price.
I have the Indy ANR and am surprised by how good they sound, but like you, I'm not looking for studio quality.

my pixel phone came with free google buds. they work on my apple and android devices equally well.

I hate things in my ears, but I use these a lot more than I thought I would. enough so that I am considering trying their pro buds if these ever die off.

Do any of them have a battery lifecycle policy that isn't "GFY" ?

Are you using the earbuds to listen to music or just take voice calls? I have a set of Walmart generic bluetooth earbuds that are great for voice calls and the like, but if you're primarily using them to listen to music, I would recommend getting something else as they are not an audiophile's dream. That said, they have a battery life of over eight hours, can connect to two devices at once (if that's something you care about), and are decently comfortable for long periods of time...and all for under $10! :)

The Sony wf1000xm4s are pretty damn good

And about what you would expect to pay for quality. No free lunch. :)

For quality, it's not earbuds regardless of the brand, it's studio, quality, over the ear headset

My gen 3 AirPods have pretty darn good sound considering the size. I do wear over the ears when wanting that extra push, but they are limited to sitting no the couch due to size and safety (e.g. I wouldn't wear them driving, but my AirPods work great while driving thanks to transparency mode).

And about what you would expect to pay for quality. No free lunch. :)

My gen 3 AirPods have pretty darn good sound considering the size. I do wear over the ears when wanting that extra push, but they are limited to sitting no the couch due to size and safety (e.g. I wouldn't wear them driving, but my AirPods work great while driving thanks to transparency mode).
Yea, they sound better than the AirPods, but the AirPod interface and convenience is unmatched

Back