Eagle River Glacier, Anchorage AK

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
My wife and I recently did an Alaska cruise, and I managed to arrange two flights. One out of Squamish, north of Vancouver, BC. The other out of Anchorage. Here's my 5-minute video of the Anchorage flight. Still working on the BC one, there's a lot more in it.

This is awesome! I earned my PPL in the Anchorage Bowl in 2008, learning to fly with backdrops like this. Makes me want to go back! Thanks for posting this.

Eagle Glacier. Eagle River is the drainage. Too bad it wasn't clear. Flying the inlet to Girdwood and over the saddle into Eagle River Valley is a stunning local flight.

Eagle Glacier. Eagle River is the drainage. Too bad it wasn't clear. Flying the inlet to Girdwood and over the saddle into Eagle River Valley is a stunning local flight.
I agree. It would have been much better on a clear day. The flight in BC was on a glorious clear day (as you'll see when I get to it).

It hasn't been a great summer for weather, but it beats what's coming this winter!

I got the good weather earlier in the summer in early June. Beautiful shots of Denali and of the Glaciers in AK and BC. Even in the clear, as I climbed up the Kaskawulsh glacier, the visibility near the top was becoming ZERO necessitating the turn around. These things make their own weather.

Awesome! Beautiful country... I grew up on the South Fork, in the next valley south from this flight. Fond memories of hiking the valley back to the lakes & glaciers. Waiting for the day I can make a flying trip back "home."

Back