EAA -v- AOPA , Homeland Security Issue

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
As I reported in another thread I had an issue with Homeland Security.

AOPA
I called AOPA, was put on hold for 20 mins, then I chose the voice mail option so they could call me back. I left a message that said my issue involved Homeland Security and I would like to talk to them about it. That was over 48 hours ago. :mad2:

EAA
I called, got right through to the government affairs office
and talked to a real person! He took down all the info, was familiar with regs and rules, was VERY interested, and promised that a higher level EAA advocate is collecting information on such incidents and he would be calling my on Wednesday. That if he didn't call I am to call him back (he gave me his personal cell number) and we would proceed.

The difference in responses could not be more dramatic.

***** Update *******

Tom did call and is looking into this situation personally. The conversation was very informative and AOPA is very active in pushing back on DHS to get them to back off on unreasonable searches, including recruiting line boys to spy on pilots.

Last edited:
To me AOPA is like AARP, sort of a good idea that doesn't quite seem to work.

As I reported in another thread I had an issue with Homeland Security.

AOPA
I called AOPA, was put on hold for 20 mins, then I chose the voice mail option so they could call me back. I left a message that said my issue involved Homeland Security and I would like to talk to them about it. That was over 48 hours ago. :mad2:

EAA
I called, got right through to the government affairs office
and talked to a real person! He took down all the info, was familiar with regs and rules, was VERY interested, and promised that a higher level EAA advocate is collecting information on such incidents and he would be calling my on Wednesday. That if he didn't call I am to call him back (he gave me his personal cell number) and we would proceed.

The difference in responses could not be more dramatic.

AOPA sucks.

EAA rocks.

I hate to say this Geico, but you just don't understand AOPA. Your phone conversation should have started: "I want to make a donation" :D :yesnod:

You guys are railing on AOPA...and as Geico points out...he got put on hold...but just as one more data point, I have had sterling service on the few issues I have called them about...you guys remember the glider pilot in Darlington...I got three or four return calls about that and I was just calling to gripe...the AOPA was all over that ...

YMMV.

You guys are railing on AOPA...and as Geico points out...he got put on hold...but just as one more data point, I have had sterling service on the few issues I have called them about...you guys remember the glider pilot in Darlington...I got three or four return calls about that and I was just calling to gripe...the AOPA was all over that ...

YMMV.

Fair enough, I will try again in the morning. How long ago did you call them? Do you have a division I can call?

Fair enough, I will try again in the morning. How long ago did you call them? Do you have a division I can call?

The last time was about three weeks ago...signed a friend up for a student pilot membership...got my username changed to the website/forum and renewed...took all of 2 minutes...

I called several times over the Darlington glider pilot incident and the DCSO closing their Facebook page and deleting negative comments.. whenever that was, and spoke to someone in "govermental affairs" or "legislative affairs"?

Edit: Tom Haines responded to this thread...anyone from the EAA done that? :wink2:

To me AOPA is like AARP, sort of a good idea that doesn't quite seem to work.

AARP is a fraud to sell insurance policies, hence the Medicare Part D drug program on the ACA that mandates private insurance.

AARP: "It was the best deal that we could get." (For us).

It seems AOPA. Is in business to make money.i would like to have the money in postage they send out to solicit more money for the organization.

Geico, please give me a call and I will happy to discuss your homeland security issue.
Thanks,
Tom

Tom Zecha
Manager, Aviation Security
AOPA
301-695-2211

Called and got right through to Tom's assistant and he took down all of the info.

Thank you for your assistance AOPA!

Last edited:
Sorry Geico, was away from my phone, hit me again!

Had a great conversation with Tom about my DHS incident. He is going to contact DHS and let me know the results of the conversation. :yes:

Last edited:
Roger that....Go Big Red! (I grew up in Omaha)

Had a great conversation with Tom about my DHS incident. He is going to contact DHS and let me know the results of the conversation. :yes:

If DHS cares to tell him. Heh.

Be interesting to see where it all leads. And whether or not AOPA *really* has any clout.

Back