Display Name

Display name:
Steven P McNicoll
For those that fly IFR to AirVenture, how did the service this year compare
to prior years?

For those that fly IFR to AirVenture, how did the service this year compare
to prior years?
The ATC service?

I was flying back from Traverse city and heard Minn Center holding up quit a bit of traffic on the east side of Lake Michigan due to flow issues going into OSH. There was some sort of problem getting reservation slots. From what I heard on the radio there was conflicting guidance on who needed them and how to get them.

But I must admit all I have is hearsay as I was not flying into OSH so I never looked at the NOTAM myself.

This was my first time, so I can't compare. Waiting to get out, though, we had a long wait, though we were fourth in line for departure. I think it was about 40 minutes. This is after we'd been instructed to start engines.

Coming in we had no problems in the air, but had to wait another 30 minutes or so behind a line of departing traffic before they could taxi us to Basler, where we were parking. They eventually moved the departure line to the other side of the taxiway where it was wide enough for 2 planes abreast, which allowed us to move through. That's a ground control thing, though, not ATC.

That's a ground control thing, though, not ATC.
ground control is still part of ATC. The controller on the ground position up in the tower are just as competent and trained as the other controllers. GC takes a lot of skill and with all the traffic on the ground at OSH I can see them having some interesting challenges.

A lot of it is getting the flow right. If you ever notice at KORD it sure seems that one ring of the taxi way is going one way and you have to get on it and keep going in the direction to you get where you are going.

ground control is still part of ATC. The controller on the ground position up in the tower are just as competent and trained as the other controllers. GC takes a lot of skill and with all the traffic on the ground at OSH I can see them having some interesting challenges.

A lot of it is getting the flow right. If you ever notice at KORD it sure seems that one ring of the taxi way is going one way and you have to get on it and keep going in the direction to you get where you are going.
Self-administered dope slap.:redface: I know that GC is part of ATC, at least in the movement areas, which is what I was talking about. I think I was confusing it with the volunteers directing people to parking. Thanks!

The ATC service?

I was flying back from Traverse city and heard Minn Center holding up quit a bit of traffic on the east side of Lake Michigan due to flow issues going into OSH. There was some sort of problem getting reservation slots. From what I heard on the radio there was conflicting guidance on who needed them and how to get them.

But I must admit all I have is hearsay as I was not flying into OSH so I never looked at the NOTAM myself.

Yes, the ATC service. The airspace in the OSH/SBM/FLD area was transferred from Chicago ARTCC to Milwaukee TRACON last February. I wanted users to compare their experiences with them.

Yes, the ATC service. The airspace in the OSH/SBM/FLD area was transferred from Chicago ARTCC to Milwaukee TRACON last February. I wanted users to compare their experiences with them.
Well, they did ask if we could accept 7000 as a final altitude on the return trip becasue of a lot of traffic above. We acquiesced. King Air C90, KOSH - 1C5. Chicago takes you below 4000' before the state border anyways.

Well, they did ask if we could accept 7000 as a final altitude on the return trip becasue of a lot of traffic above. We acquiesced. King Air C90, KOSH - 1C5. Chicago takes you below 4000' before the state border anyways.

What altitude had you filed? The airspace at and below 13,000' was transferred from ZAU to MKE. MKE split it into two sectors, RIPON LO has 6000' and down, RIPON HI has 7,000' thru 13,000'.

What altitude had you filed? The airspace at and below 13,000' was transferred from ZAU to MKE. MKE split it into two sectors, RIPON LO has 6000' and down, RIPON HI has 7,000' thru 13,000'.
I didn't file it, the PIC did, so I don't know. FWIW, we did 11,000 heading north.

I flew in sans traffic VFR and had to wait a whole 5 minutes to get out VFR. Worked great for me.

I flew in sans traffic VFR and had to wait a whole 5 minutes to get out VFR. Worked great for me.

Good weather prevailed this year every day the EAA procedures were in effect. I think it would have been a real mess if IFR arrivals were unable to cancel prior to entering MKE approach airspace.

When we came in on the Friday before the wx was 2700' broken. We had filed to UNU and MSN approach was anxious to cut us loose as soon as we descended into VMC from 8000'. We were in and out of the bases but saw the airport and cancelled before doing the full procedure. Would have liked to have tried the TruTrak a/p coupled one more time but it worked out okay anyway. Got to see TeenDoc prepping pilots for the Cessna mass arrival while at UNU. Added a couple hrs of fuel and proceeded VFR to OSH without incident with visibility around 5 miles. Left base to 27 and we were back for another week of Airventure!

Got cut off coming from MWC - I was on 128.7 and when I made it to the north end of that sector, that was it. Also got no service any other time of the week. Of course, I never really asked Chicago Center for it in prior years either, but I've found in general that I always get great service from Chicago Center, while Milwaukee Approach is kinda 50/50.

The northern edge of the new sectors must not be very far north of OSH - I went IFR within 7 nm of OSH on Sunday (KCAD-MBL-MTW-63C) and got handed straight from Green Bay Approach to Chicago Center.

ground control is still part of ATC. The controller on the ground position up in the tower are just as competent and trained as the other controllers. GC takes a lot of skill and with all the traffic on the ground at OSH

While that is true at probably every other airport, and even OSH 51 weeks of the year. It is not true at THE week of OSH. ATC for the most part, does not control the taxiways, or taxiing aircraft. If you ask for taxi clearance/instructions, you will generally be told to "Follow the EAA flagmen." Ground may ask IFR aircraft to give position reports on their way to the runway, but that is only to determine when they will be #1 so they can get a release from the RADAR facility.

We avoided the hassle and flew into FLD on Thursday.

Even the NOTAM includes a graphic depicting same...if people had actually read it.

While that is true at probably every other airport, and even OSH 51 weeks of the year. It is not true at THE week of OSH. ATC for the most part, does not control the taxiways, or taxiing aircraft. If you ask for taxi clearance/instructions, you will generally be told to "Follow the EAA flagmen." Ground may ask IFR aircraft to give position reports on their way to the runway, but that is only to determine when they will be #1 so they can get a release from the RADAR facility.

Back