E-Bay Items

GeneC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GeneC
I am interested in an EI engine monitor being advertised on eBay. Items seem to be takeouts for upgrades. If the item is approved for my aircraft type, is only a 337 required for installation?

Approved for your airplane make/model how?

An STC perhaps? Electronics International own the rights of the STC which means they have to give you approval to use it. You need to get the STC data package and a Letter of Authorization (LOA) from EI . If you need a new harness just buy their installation kit and ask for a STC data package at the same time.

All this can be done via email or a phone call.

You also need to make sure your mechanic is comfortable installing used ebay parts.

In this case, a 337 is not an approval but more like another log entry.

Last edited:
When I purchased my CGR-30P there was a form I had to fill out and send to EI specifying my airplane and engine that was signed by both me and my mechanic that installed the monitor. For a certified aircraft, EI had to program the green, yellow and red bands for the monitored parameters according to what is legal for my aircraft/engine combination. There are other user settings that you are allowed to program as desired but I imagine you will need to send the unit back to EI for the initial programming for your specific plane. My 'N' number is part of the EI programming showing that it is configured specifically for my plane. This following is copied from the owners manual.

7.3 Aircraft ID Screen:
The Aircraft ID Screen identifies the aircraft for which the CGR-30P was configured. Do Not install a CGR-30P into an aircraft for which it was not configured. Limits and calibration data may not be appropriate for a different aircraft.

Contact EI and tell them what you are looking at buying. Find out what will be necessary to install it in your aircraft. What they have to say has a large impact on the financial benefits of buying off of ebay.

Back