Dynon SkyView

My current project is slated to get a Garmin G3X Touch. I looked at the Dynon and for the same money I prefer the Garmin. You might look at GRT for another option.

It would be great in a Varieze. And - no, dollar for dollar you almost never recover the direct cost of avionics during resale. You do however create a more desirable aircraft and one that will command a higher price. Just not exactly as high has the cost of your avionics.

I'd look at the GRT models, think it would be easier to get your value up without putting as much money into the plane vs a Skyview.

If I were keeping the plane for myself id spend the extra change and put the dynon in

For resale or economic reasons the GRT would be great.

http://www.grtavionics.com/mini.html

Last edited:
I'd look at the GRT models, think it would be easier to get your value up without putting as much money into the plane vs a Skyview.

If I were keeping the plane for myself is spend the extra change and put the dynon in

For resale or economic reasons the GRT would be great.

http://www.grtavionics.com/mini.html

Don't see any engine instruments in that unit.

Towards the bottom of the page

Engine Monitoring

Practically identical to the engine monitoring provided by the HX and Sport SX, the Mini engine monitoring provides 6 engine pages, percent power calculation, and GRT exclusives (such as the EGT and CHT time histories and engine efficiency via the specific fuel consumption display).

Probably the most popular of the engine monitoring screens is the EGT time history page. In addition to two user-programmable dials, fuel management, and basic engine data. This screen includes a 2-minute history of all EGTs. This GRT exclusive allows you to effortlessly distinguish between engine problems affecting one cylinder or the engine itself. It also makes it easy to see small changes in engine operation that might not otherwise be noticeable. Even better, this display provides reassurance that your engine is running normally, even when flying over water or at night. If the EGTs are steady, so is the engine

wpf6f97669_06.png

It would be great in a Varieze. And - no, dollar for dollar you almost never recover the direct cost of avionics during resale. You do however create a more desirable aircraft and one that will command a higher price. Just not exactly as high has the cost of your avionics.

Several EZE types I've talked to say the V-EZ with 30 gallons of fuel aboard, and the 0-200 will burn about 5 gallons per hour at 180-190 mph. that's a pretty good traveling machine with Full IFR instrumentation should be a seller.

Gotta do home work on the GRT unit. I like the idea of a bigger screen, and a local company of the Dynon

Jay has a GRT unit in his -8. So he might be a source of real world info

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

If I leave ALL my current instruments, gauges, dials, meters, etc in my certified plane, I am PROHIBITED from adding one of these devices?

Policy For part 23/CAR 3 aircraft under 6,000 pounds with vacuum-driven attitude instruments, it is acceptable to replace vacuum-driven attitude instruments with electronically-driven attitude indicators under the following conditions:
1. A single function vacuum-driven attitude indicator may be replaced with a single primary function electronically-driven attitude indicator. A single function vacuum-driven attitude indicator may also be replaced with an electronically-driven attitude indicator that provides a secondary (advisory) function (such as turn & slip indication).
2. The electronically-driven attitude indicator has an independent standby battery that is capable of meeting the intent of §23.1331 and § 23.1353(h) to independently power the new instrument in the event of a loss of primary electrical power. It may not be acceptable to use the start battery as a backup power source for the electronically-driven attitude indicator unless its state of charge can be verified at takeoff.

AND

To install an electronically-driven attitude indicator as a minor alteration, the above conditions and the following additional regulations must be met:
2. The electronically-driven attitude indicator requires only minor changes to the existing electrical and vacuum connections to the aircraft, per part 43.
3. The electronically-driven attitude indicator must be powered from a new, dedicated circuit breaker (or other appropriate circuit protection device), and it must be powered by a standby (backup) power source./QUOTE]

So I could remove my vac AI out of my 185 and toss in one of those GRT units and fly IFR?

That's up to you and your IA. I simply posted the policy statement.

So I could remove my vac AI out of my 185 and toss in one of those GRT units and fly IFR?

I'd check with FSDO first, the OKC policy might not agree with what the FSDO inspectors want to see. Yes you can try to beat them down by the orders of their superiors. but stand by for repercussions.

My PMI loves them.

That's up to you and your IA.

Not really.. installations of these units are not a major alterations. (as per your reference) The FAA's latest notices say they are direct replacements.

Last edited:
Even non TSOed

I believe. If I'm wrong, show me the requirement for TSO'ed instruments in part 91. Yes, the 135 operators are required to comply with TSO. This is why we have TSO'ed instruments in our aircraft from the factory.

I thought if the TD for the plane showed it leaving the factory with TSOed gauges it's gauges could only be replaced with TSOed?

I think the Dynon or the Garnin G3X would be a great glass panel upgrade for an EZE. I only wish I could put the Garmin G3X system in my Cherokee. :(

Check the spec's. The GRT units usually require their EIS-4000 to feed engine information to the glass panel. The EIS-4000 is typically a $1200+ add-on, depending on the sensors you buy.

The EIS-4000 is a stand alone engine monitor that is pretty old technology, but is time tested and fairly easy to program.

I thought if the TD for the plane showed it leaving the factory with TSOed gauges it's gauges could only be replaced with TSOed?

I will give you that most instruments you can buy are TSO'ed,, I see no requirement that you must use them.

Check the spec's. The GRT units usually require their EIS-4000 to feed engine information to the glass panel. The EIS-4000 is typically a $1200+ add-on, depending on the sensors you buy.

The EIS-4000 is a stand alone engine monitor that is pretty old technology, but is time tested and fairly easy to program.

I have seen there are many options in both systems. Prior to buying either, I'll do my home work.

I can drive down to Woodenville Wa. and get first hand look.

The intent to do this swap, was to remove all the heavy weight instruments, and replace with one of these large instruments, and make the V-EZ an IFR bird. But I don't know yet how well the Canard folks will advise a Canard fly in weather.

Weight is a big factor in the EZEs

The intent to do this swap, was to remove all the heavy weight instruments, and replace with one of these large instruments, and make the V-EZ an IFR bird. But I don't know yet how well the Canard folks will advise a Canard fly in weather.

As for IFR in one, talk to spence c at ATC (flight school) out of KBFI, he's a heck of a CFII, awesome wx flyer and teaches many of kenmores guys, aaand he flys a canard.

I'm starting to think the harness will weigh as much as the radios do on my project. Note: NO coax in the picture so even more to come including 2 com antenna cables, two GPS antenna cables, marker beacon antenna cable, a splitter with two nav coax and a coax from the splitter to the nav antenna.

Hi Tom,

IMO the skyview is the cream of the crop in these things. Dynon really sets the standard for support and back-wards compatibility of new features for older hardware. Their track record on product support is as important as the product itself.

I'm starting to think the harness will weigh as much as the radios do on my project. Note: NO coax in the picture so even more to come including 2 com antenna cables, two GPS antenna cables, marker beacon antenna cable, a splitter with two nav coax and a coax from the splitter to the nav antenna.
I'm not the greatest at building harness, My old fingers and eyes aren't up to it any more.
That's why I favor the Dynon system it's plug and play.

I'm not the greatest at building harness, My old fingers and eyes aren't up to it any more.

Not that much, where you gonna plug and with what ? I put a D-180 in my airplane and still have yet to get it to work and play well with the Rotax 912.

A buddy has the GRT. Is now building a plane for a widow. Had the Skyview already. Is Very impressed with it.

I installed the (then new) GRT Horizon HXR two years ago. The 10.5" display is terrific.

I chose GRT because I already had the GRT EIS (engine monitor) installed by the original builder, which meant I didn't have to touch anything firewall forward. It was literally run two wires from the EIS to the Horizon EFIS and we were done with that aspect.

I would recommend Stein Air out of MN for your panel design. We were able to go through several iterations via email (using their free design assistant) before settling on the layout we love still today.

They then laser cut the whole thing, which made installation much easier.

The GRT Horizon has the (still unique, I think) ability to Bluetooth to any Android device, reproducing its display. This allowed us to put a cheap Android tablet in the back hole of our RV-8 and instantly have complete flight instrumentation. Since Mary and I are both pilots, neither of us wanted to be the GIB with no airspeed/attitude/heading info, and the GRT neatly solved that problem for us!

Dynon is the easy way to go, but certainly not the only way. I'm running dual 10" Skyview screens in my RV9A and absolutely love it. If you are not big on doing the wiring yourself (I did, but there's a lot of it) I would give Stein a shout, he does top-shelf work and will deliver a drop-in product for you.

Not that much, where you gonna plug and with what ? I put a D-180 in my airplane and still have yet to get it to work and play well with the Rotax 912.

Well there you go, who told you to put a Rotax in an airplane?

Kidding of course. I watch a D-100 when I'm flying, Giving serious thought to switching to D-180.

I'm a O-320 (160HP) with a Catto three blade.

Dynon is the easy way to go,

That's the way I need it

. If you are not big on doing the wiring yourself (I did, but there's a lot of it)

Dynon the harness is pre-wired plug in.

Dynon the harness is pre-wired plug in.

Yes, the main screens come with the D37 harnesses. What is optional are all the Skyview Network cables to tie all the various boxes together, you can either buy the premade cables from Dynon or build them yourself. I chose to build them myself because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Yes, the main screens come with the D37 harnesses. What is optional are all the Skyview Network cables to tie all the various boxes together, you can either buy the premade cables from Dynon or build them yourself. I chose to build them myself because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Recognizing the problem is the first step in the cure. :)
I'd much rather they build the cables and warrantee their work, than for me to mis-wire and buy a new unit. I have no means to put the blue smoke back in.

Last edited:
lol We built our cables, too.

My advice: Unless you have absolutely nothing better to do with your time, pay Stein to do it for you.

lol We built our cables, too.

My advice: Unless you have absolutely nothing better to do with your time, pay Stein to do it for you.

I won't be doing it again, I'll tell you that much!

Back