Dynon Avionics

We've got the Dynon D-10 in the RV. Its pretty darn sweet if I say so myself. It's a bit weird trying to get used to reading numbers with trend lines versus hands on a dial, but it's nice when it finally clicks. It's also useful at night. You can turn the other instrument lights down (or off) and adjust the brightness of the Dynon so that there is very minimal light in the cockpit and still have access to most of the 'six pack'. Makes seeing the stars a lot nicer for the Mrs. ;)

-Chris

SpaceShipOne used a Dynon display, which Mike Melville reported was the only flight instrument working for several minutes of the first flight of the record altitude attempt.

Since the Dynons are not approved for certificated aircraft, we do not get to use simple, reliable, new-technology instruments which could provide backup (or primary) attitude and other information without moving parts.

I have thought about this; one *could* fix up a Dynon EFIS to velcro into a vacant panel hole, and plug into a cigarette lighter.

Not "installed"; like the 396 panel docks.

SCCutler said:
Since the Dynons are not approved for certificated aircraft, we do not get to use simple, reliable, new-technology instruments which could provide backup (or primary) attitude and other information without moving parts.

I have thought about this; one *could* fix up a Dynon EFIS to velcro into a vacant panel hole, and plug into a cigarette lighter.

Not "installed"; like the 396 panel docks.

Thanks for that info Spike. I did not know that.

I looked at a few competitors of Dynon at Sun & Fun this year and some of them had much better displays. I've forgotten the names of the two best contenders, but my brother in law has them (he's building a RV-9).

lancefisher said:
I looked at a few competitors of Dynon at Sun & Fun this year and some of them had much better displays. I've forgotten the names of the two best contenders, but my brother in law has them (he's building a RV-9).

I'm guessing one of them is Blue Mountain Avionics and maybe Grand Rapids Technology? We're running Grand Rapids' EIS in the RV, but they came out with an EFIS about a month after we installed the Dynon. From our research, we decided that if we had it to do over again, we would run all Grand Rapids equipment. Can't remember the justification for it now, but that's at least one conclusion we came to as an after-thought.

-Chris

CJones said:
I'm guessing one of them is Blue Mountain Avionics and maybe Grand Rapids Technology? We're running Grand Rapids' EIS in the RV, but they came out with an EFIS about a month after we installed the Dynon. From our research, we decided that if we had it to do over again, we would run all Grand Rapids equipment. Can't remember the justification for it now, but that's at least one conclusion we came to as an after-thought.

-Chris

Grand Rapids was definitely one of the better units with much better resolution than Dynon. The other one might have been Blue Mountain, but I think it was something else.

I have flown with Dynon in some of the new light sport airplanes. Very neat little insturments. Shame they can not be used in certified airplanes for backup.

robsingles said:
I have flown with Dynon in some of the new light sport airplanes. Very neat little insturments. Shame they can not be used in certified airplanes for backup.

I really want to check out Steve See's plane at Gastons. 4 seats, aerobatic, experimental, I think he's got it goin' on :D

CJones said:

-Chris

This is the one that looked the best IIRC although they were just finishing the initial release. One of their techs commented that Advanced was using higher quality (Crossbow?) AHDRS units than the competition.

http://www.advanced-control-systems.com/Products/AF-3400/AF-3400.html

lancefisher said:
This is the one that looked the best IIRC although they were just finishing the initial release. One of their techs commented that Advanced was using higher quality (Crossbow?) AHDRS units than the competition.

http://www.advanced-control-systems.com/Products/AF-3400/AF-3400.html

Wow.. That DOES look nice. Wish that was available during the build process. I'll pass that along as an option for the RV-10.. ;)

-Chris

Wouldn't it be nice to redo the older GA panels with this stuff? Sure still have vaccum backups but that sure would look nice in some of these great older aircraft.

Doesn't the pricing of these units kind of make you sick, when you think of what a "certified" Chelton (the only retrofitable certified glass panel I'm aware of) unit costs.

Lance F said:
Doesn't the pricing of these units kind of make you sick, when you think of what a "certified" Chelton (the only retrofitable certified glass panel I'm aware of) unit costs.

Especially in light of the core reality that, given the inherent reliability of solid-state equipment such as this, you could have two backups, independent of each other, for a rational cost.

That's why I like the idea of having one of the small Dynons, the one that mounts in a standard instrument hole, held in place by velcro and connected by (say) cigarette lighter, so as not to be "permanently mounted."

SCCutler said:
That's why I like the idea of having one of the small Dynons, the one that mounts in a standard instrument hole, held in place by velcro and connected by (say) cigarette lighter, so as not to be "permanently mounted."
I've got the "(say) cigarette lighter" but other than that I'm sorely lacking any panel space to do this. Take a look at Gaston's. If you can find the real estate, I might just try this.

Back