Dynon Avionics in certificated aircraft

FWIW, I was able to talk with Tom Haynes (AOPA Live) after our ASN breakfast this morning. He said they are looking at installing the full size Dynon Skyview system in the AOPA 172 to be given away next year. The are working with Dynon and FAA to make this happen. I went to Dynon booth and they said they thought they were a year away from having an STC for the Skyview system to be installed in Pipers and Cessnas. I then went to the Garmin booth to ask if they were working on STC'ing their G3X system. They are still scratching their heads over how Dynon got the STC for their D10A. Garmin did say this should open the door for them too down the road.

I can't wait till Dynon get's STCs for the D100 or Skyview.. This is my RV-6 setup and I'd love to fly the same setup in a certificated plane. I'm a partner in a C177RG and PA32-300 Might take a while on all those STC's
upload_2016-4-8_19-6-4.png

As an avionics guy, this makes me wonder if they had to go through the entire Do-178B/C process for software development. That is why these fun gadgets cost so much in certified aircraft. If Dynon really did pull it off, it took a lot of expertise and money. May be a hint that they will be doing more things like this in the future?
There's a shiite ton of 172's out there. Maybe the ROI worked out? I hope so. I've seen some of the avionics in homebuilts and it's incredible what you get for the money.

There's a shiite ton of 172's out there. Maybe the ROI worked out? I hope so. I've seen some of the avionics in homebuilts and it's incredible what you get for the money.
And from a purely objective quality standpoint, certainly no worse than the certified stuff. I've talked to more owners with dead or "acting totally stupid" Aspens over the years than dead Dynons.

Garmin is consistently good, so the ROI probably wasn't calculated against the Aspen, it was probably calculated to steal customers from Garmin and suck up those sitting on the fence. The bigger Dynon can make the price gap between their solution and Garmin, the better they'll do overall.

Aspens, it seems you either get a good one and a good installation, and it works... Or you get something that's annoyingly fussy and constantly being returned to the factory or being worked on, and there doesn't seem to be a good predictor of which you'll get. Dice roll.

I think Dynon sails right past them if FAA doesn't slow down their STC process for the other devices too much.

Not sure how they'd stack up against Avidyne. Depends a lot on final price.

A dual-screen Dynon Skyview would be the cat's pajamas in my Skyhawk. I've flown that system in my friend's RV and I liked it better than the G1000 Skyhawk (especially the price tag). This could be a sign of good things to come!

There's a guy on BT that says he recently got approval to put the Garmin G3X in his Baron, I believe.

I'd love to put a Skyview or G3X in my Sierra without jumping through hoops; sounds like this is really moving in the right direction.

I'd imagine with the FAA forcing folks to jump on the WAAS ADSB bandwagon, they probably are figuring they need to stop slowing progress and allow some of the good and cheap tech into the certified fleet, or have droves of certified planes buzzing around Jan1 2020 with their transponders ether turned off, or "oh I didn't know".

There's a guy on BT that says he recently got approval to put the Garmin G3X in his Baron, I believe.

I'd love to put a Skyview or G3X in my Sierra without jumping through hoops; sounds like this is really moving in the right direction.

Find out what his registration number is and get the FAA file on CD from the FAA to find out what kind of approval was received to install it.

Back