DVT

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Is there any pain associated with DVT?

Last night my left foot started to swell. There is no pain, no change in color, no injury. But since I was on a couple of airline flights this week and was sitting in meetings for up to 18 hours a day I was wondering about DVT.

oh crap! I don't know. can you wear those compression socks on your long flights? Do you walk around a lot on the planes? 18 hour meetings - what are they thinking?

oh crap! I don't know. can you wear those compression socks on your long flights? Do you walk around a lot on the planes? 18 hour meetings - what are they thinking?
I can and sometime do, but I have also been recovering from 3 herniated discs in my back and have really not been walking much for the better part of a year now. I am just getting back to being able to have a somewhat normal life.

Last edited:
Not always painful- you should talk to your family doc or even go to the ER to get a duplex ultrasound. This is not something you should wait around and see if it resolves on its own.

Not always painful- you should talk to your family doc or even go to the ER to get a duplex ultrasound. This is not something you should wait around and see if it resolves on its own.
I am going to call her tomorrow and make an appointment. Hopefully she will be able to get me in this week. The thing is that when I walk it tends to go away and is only in my left foot.

I am going to call her tomorrow and make an appointment. Hopefully she will be able to get me in this week. The thing is that when I walk it tends to go away and is only in my left foot.

Scott,

I'm not sure I'd work on that timetable just in case. Not something to mess with.

If it comes and goes, it doesn't sound like a DVT. On the other hand I have seen people die from a pulmonary embolus, so a potential DVT is not something to mess with and wait. Internet medical advice is worth about as much as you pay for, but if it were my leg I would be in the ED and describing my symptoms and letting the ER doc make recommendations.

If it comes and goes, it doesn't sound like a DVT. On the other hand I have seen people die from a pulmonary embolus, so a potential DVT is not something to mess with and wait. Internet medical advice is worth about as much as you pay for, but if it were my leg I would be in the ED and describing my symptoms and letting the ER doc make recommendations.

And even if you don't die of one, they HURT. First hand experience with that.

Scott FYI my dad, a family doc has suggested when I fly long flights that not only do I get up and walk but drink plenty of water and take an asprin before the flight. I know you fly REALLY long flights so you may want to discuss the same with your doc. Best of luck with it.

Scott, she doens't have to get you into the office. She'll likely send you to the outpatient department for a doppler study of the veins. You'll know pretty quickly...

Where does one buy these? With my long trip to India coming up in 3 weeks, I should look into buying a couple pair.

EDIT: Google search found these for $14.99, available at a store near me.

Last edited:
Where does one buy these? With my long trip to India coming up in 3 weeks, I should look into buying a couple pair.

EDIT: Google search found these for $14.99, available at a store near me.

A drug store that handle medical supplies. Usually smaller mom and pop types will have all kinds of stuff.

Scott I would be going, pronto.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000156.htm

Not to be alarmist but I think this is a pretty reliable source and they say....

"Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) mainly affects the large veins in the lower leg and thigh. The clot can block blood flow. If the clot breaks off and moves through the bloodstream, it can get stuck in the brain, lungs, heart, or other area, leading to severe damage."

Have you seen a doc with this today ?

It can hurt, it can be painless, it can swell, or not swell, sometimes it's red, sometimes it's not red, sometimes you have a low grade temp, sometimes you don't.

DVT kills*. Don't die.

$100 copay at the ER and a couple hours of your life are well worth it to be told 'you probably strained a muscle'.

*it's not the DVT itself that does you in, it's the clot coming loose and clogging up the vessels in your lung. You can go from swollen leg to massive chest pain in about 18 seconds.

If you cant be seen in the office, ask for a referral for an outpatient ultrasound. If the practitioner is unable/unwilling, then go to an Urgent Care with an attached imaging department. Thats usually cheaper on copay than an ER. Or just go to the ER.

Unilateral (one sided) swelling, with or without pain, especially with decreased mobility, gets a venous doppler of the lower extremities in my hospital's ER. 99.9% of the time. My docs are defensive in their practice (leaning towards testing for everything) but this one is a good practice. They also get labwork looking at clotting studies.

Do it tomorrow.. monday morning. Its not worth calling an ambulance but it is worth getting it looked at promptly.

If you cant be seen in the office, ask for a referral for an outpatient ultrasound. If the practitioner is unable/unwilling, then go to an Urgent Care with an attached imaging department. Thats usually cheaper on copay than an ER. Or just go to the ER.

Unilateral (one sided) swelling, with or without pain, especially with decreased mobility, gets a venous doppler of the lower extremities in my hospital's ER. 99.9% of the time. My docs are defensive in their practice (leaning towards testing for everything) but this one is a good practice. They also get labwork looking at clotting studies.

Do it tomorrow.. monday morning. Its not worth calling an ambulance but it is worth getting it looked at promptly.
Thanks. Thanks to everyone else too.

I have no idea if this is DVT. It is just that I travel a lot and I have encountered others who have gotten this. The actual problem may have started last week but then resolved itself for a few days. Saturday night it started again and all I had done all day was basically sit around and work on a paper I am writing. It did not seem emergent at all given lack of color, pain, and temperature changes. On Sunday I went to the gym an rode the bike, did leg presses and did not have any pain at all and that seemed to make the swelling go down even more than it had by resting over night.

I called my doc today and told the office staff what was going on. I have an appointment to see her tomorrow afternoon and as long as things do not get any worse I will stick with that.

Call back, insist to talk to the doc, don't let the office staff push you off another day. I'm not kidding.

Have you had any blood workups recently? If your uric acid is elevated at all, this could be a mild gout attack. That would explain the episodic swelling but would also most likely be accompanied by pain. Just another data point to complicate the diagnosis....

...and I am not an MD.

-Skip

Have you had any blood workups recently? If your uric acid is elevated at all, this could be a mild gout attack. That would explain the episodic swelling but would also most likely be accompanied by pain. Just another data point to complicate the diagnosis....

...and I am not an MD.

-Skip
PM sent

Doesn't sound like gout. You'd know if you had gout. You'd be in the process of amputating your foot because that hurts less. Do get this taken care of Scott. Sounds kinda dangerous.

Yes it can be deadly. I recall the youngh english woman who dropped dead in the London Airport after traveling back from the Olympics in Australia.

Scott you should get checked out now before the new health care plan is instituted and the death panel will recommend against treatment because you have become and obsolete humanbeing.

IT WAS A JOKE! JUST A JOKE FOLKS

Scott you should get checked out now before the new health care plan is instituted and the death panel will recommend against treatment because you have become and obsolete humanbeing.

You mean because he is a pilot and way overshot his allotted carbon credits ?

FYI
Just to let everyone know I am at the hospital now awaiting the venus doppler test.

So I did get here....eventually.

Scott

Dear Mr. The OP,

My name is Mr. Nikwana Wambosi. I require your assistance with the retreival of $5.6 million USD (five point six million US dollars). Please send me your social security number and...

Hope it all goes well, Scott.

My dear Mr. Ted (Nik) Wambosi,

Thank you for your kind letter. In these unsecure times I think we should from this point forward use code names to protect ourselves in case any intercepts our communications.

From this point on I will refer to you as Bubba Bukakke and you should refer to me as Ebola Sundae.

I find your offer very intrigueing Bubba B. and I think I can help. Another associate of my, who we should refer to as Vincent Vega, can help. his SSN is 457-55-5462 and he maintains a phone number of +2348-0235-36230. He and his associate, Marcellus, will be more than pleased to hear from you.

We look forward to you next communication.

Regards,

Ebola Sundae aka The OP

My dear Mr. Ted (Nik) Wambosi,

Thank you for your kind letter. In these unsecure times I think we should from this point forward use code names to protect ourselves in case any intercepts our communications.

From this point on I will refer to you as Bubba Bukakke and you should refer to me as Ebola Sundae.

I find your offer very intrigueing Bubba B. and I think I can help. Another associate of my, who we should refer to as Vincent Vega, can help. his SSN is 457-55-5462 and he maintains a phone number of +2348-0235-36230. He and his associate, Marcellus, will be more than pleased to hear from you.

We look forward to you next communication.

Regards,

Ebola Sundae aka The OP

You forgot Bubba's friend George Gaijin.

... Bubba Bukakke ...

Crap now you have done it. It took me a full minute to stop laughing. My office staff thinks I'm nuts that was a Freaking Riot ROLMAO:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think this ones gonna stick Ted. Ugh bad use of words. sorry:rofl::rofl:

Crap now you have done it. It took me a full minute to stop laughing. My office staff thinks I'm nuts that was a Freaking Riot ROLMAO:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think this ones gonna stick Ted. Ugh bad use of words. sorry:rofl::rofl:

Don't go rubbing his face in it... :rofl::rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back