durable low end headsets? (also mic covers)

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
Hi all,
My club is looking for recommendations for inexpensive but durable headsets to have available for members who don't have one and also to act as spares for when members take passengers. We don't have tons of money for this, so lower end is preferred (if our pilots want something nicer, they can buy their own). They also need to be durable as our members have a poor track record of taking good care of our stuff. Any recommendations?

Also, is there anywhere to get mic covers that aren't grossly over priced? I've seen $3-$6 each, which is absurd for 2 cents of foam and a little rubber band. Would be ok buying them in bulk if that would yield a reasonable price.

\__[Ô]__/;1149185 said:
Hi all,
My club is looking for recommendations for inexpensive but durable headsets to have available for members who don't have one and also to act as spares for when members take passengers. We don't have tons of money for this, so lower end is preferred (if our pilots want something nicer, they can buy their own). They also need to be durable as our members have a poor track record of taking good care of our stuff. Any recommendations?

Also, is there anywhere to get mic covers that aren't grossly over priced? I've seen $3-$6 each, which is absurd for 2 cents of foam and a little rubber band. Would be ok buying them in bulk if that would yield a reasonable price.

Look on Ebay! I bought some very cheap, older sets for the rare times, that I have three passengers. They have worked perfectly...not beautiful or new, but they work. Plus they are so cheap, if they didn't work, I would NOT have cried about it.

I looked at my Ebay transaction, I got three Telex headsets for $60, this past December. They all are working w/o any problems.

I bought the Telex 20 when I started training. I like them. They are still my main headset.

So you want a cheap headset for clubmembers who do not care and do not take care of the stuff. And you worry about foam covers that cost the same as about 9 minutes' fuel and last hours and hours.

This is not going to work out too well.
Why doesn't the club buy a few such headsets and RENT them to members, at cost. I won't take long to recoup the cost of the headset, so when the members with poor track records ruin the headset, you can replace it.

So you want a cheap headset for clubmembers who do not care and do not take care of the stuff. And you worry about foam covers that cost the same as about 9 minutes' fuel and last hours and hours.

Why doesn't the club buy a few such headsets and RENT them to members, at cost. I won't take long to recoup the cost of the headset, so when the members with poor track records ruin the headset, you can replace it.

Great idea, especially since members don't take care of their stuff.

Great idea, especially since members don't take care of their stuff.

This is what they do at KCPK, they rent $5 per flight and I know that these headsets aren't high quality, they're making a profit off of them which will be able to replace themselves after 10-15 flights, assuming they're ~$60

Ahhh, leave some busted up ones in there for a few weeks and the problem outta take care of itself.

I hear you, and agree with the sentiment... I'm not happy with how things are, I'm just trying to make the situation less bad. Renting would work but it's not an option the club is open to and i don't make the rules.

I don't see anything wrong with looking for a less expensive source of mic covers. We lose these frequently (see above about not taking care of stuff). They are ridiculously overpriced for what they are and I thought maybe someone had an alternate source for them. Just because it's a cheap part doesn't mean we shouldn't look for a more reasonably priced option.

Ok, so this might be a dumb question, but...

Are headsets so expensive just because the word "aviation" is in the product description or are there really many hundreds of dollars in research/design/materials in them?

Are headsets so expensive just because the word "aviation" is in the product description or are there really many hundreds of dollars in research/design/materials in them?

Why are you assuming the cost has anything to do with the cost of production?

Nothing works that way. Just how much do you think an iPhone costs to manufacture?

This is one area in aviation where just because they are aviation, they are more expensive, does not apply - mostly. In most cases, it's the materials and certifications. Above the $600.00 mark though, it's their name your buying, not the materials/production. Below $200.00 you're buying something with the lowest quality of component and value, or they were made long ago.
Aviation headsets are subject to the same scrutiny, testing, and redundancy that most aviation related equipment is. We also use higher quality components for safer, cleaner communication. Also, something that most don't realize is that air pressure/density & +/- Temps play a huge part in anything aviation. Those differences reek havoc on components of any kind. So building them heartier than a standard component is necessary.
I hope that answers your question.

Why are you assuming the cost has anything to do with the cost of production?

Nothing works that way. Just how much do you think an iPhone costs to manufacture?

His assumption is correct in this case. It would be FANTASTIC if the profit margins for our products were anywhere NEAR Apple, or other mass production retailers. However, unless you have our product made by people working for Renminbi or Won, using the cheapest materials available, they are not anywhere close. Plus, this is a VERY niche market, so we don't have the luxury of selling millions of units.

As a point of fact, we run at a very low margin just to try and stay competitive with those horrible cheap headsets, simply because they look the same. But you get what you pay for, and you'll come to us once you figure it out. :)
Edit: I'm not talking about some of those cool vintage Telex sets. Those are really cool, and quality headsets for pennies on the dollar. But you have to be in to that sort of thing. :)

\__[Ô]__/;1149185 said:
Hi all,

There are several options, some mentioned above. It all depends on your budget and what your needs are. There are several options for your current needs.
1) We can provide branded headsets for your club that have your logo and colors on them. We work with many flight schools and clubs and can provide some bulk pricing that would help you with a tight budget.
2) We are currently testing a program with a flight school that may be perfect for your club. It is very inexpensive and may be the perfect solution. Just PM me your contact information and we will send you all the details.
3) You can approach local pilots for "donation" headsets. A lot of us have had several different kinds over the years, and the ones that don't make it into the passenger seats, are sometimes left to the side for "just in case" moments. Perhaps you could acquire some great headsets for nothing from generous friends in aviation.

If you need windscreens, you just PM me what you need, and we'll donate the ones you need. Otherwise, we're finally adding some new accessories on Friday, and our windscreens (for standard electret mics) will be 5 for $10 bucks. I wish it was 2cents worth of foam, and rubber. We'd be rolling in money, but I ate left overs this morning, so that's not happening... :)

Last edited:
Wait, why would a member of a flight club not have a headset? How can they afford recurring dues and not afford the one time purchase of a couple of headsets each? What kind of club is it?

\__[Ô]__/;1149280 said:
I hear you, and agree with the sentiment... I'm not happy with how things are, I'm just trying to make the situation less bad. Renting would work but it's not an option the club is open to and i don't make the rules.

I don't see anything wrong with looking for a less expensive source of mic covers. We lose these frequently (see above about not taking care of stuff). They are ridiculously overpriced for what they are and I thought maybe someone had an alternate source for them. Just because it's a cheap part doesn't mean we shouldn't look for a more reasonably priced option.

I think Bruce's idea is spot on! but since your group won't entertain that, then your option is pretty simple: Find used David Clarks on ebay.

Their bulletproof, parts are easily accessible when your people break them and there are a ton headsets in ebay land to pick from.

Buying really cheap, no-name heavily used headsets, while may save you $$$ upfront, is not the route for something reliable. Yea, I know there are those that found a great deal but unless you have the time to shop aviation forums, craigslist,,, then ebay is the quick, simple route!

YMMV!!

Last edited:
Back