'Dumping' the flaps

Your avatar shows a Skywagon. So you have Skywagon time? Hard to believe anyone with Skywagon experience doesn’t understand dumping flaps.

I once flew the Governor of Alaska to Hooper Bay, which is right on the Bering Sea coastline. With the wind at 100/35G45, I chose not to use the North-South runway and landed into the wind on the tiny ramp at a hover!

Needless to say, I used no flaps at all and the wing was always flying throughout the "landing." My passenger was accustomed to this kind of crazy stuff and he just opened the door and jumped out. To depart, I added a notch of flaps, hovered backwards to the runway and departed to the East.

I have also landed in riverbeds with full flaps and kept the flaps down to avoid sinking and used the water and rocks to slow down, no brakes (obviously).

So no, I have not had the need to "dump" the flaps often. I don't remember "popping" the flaps on takeoff, either.

Why no flaps? In 35G45 I use 40*? Hovered off? In what kind of plane? A Skywagon won’t hover off in 35G45?

Why would flaps keep you from sinking? Maybe you understand the concept of dumping flaps afterall?

Last edited:
On my plane the brakes are so ineffective you could NOT get them to lock with or without the flaps down. I tried it before replacing my tires.

Back