Dumped by Instructor?

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Sebastian Thomas, May 6, 2019.

1. Sebastian Thomas

Sebastian Thomas Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    Hello all:

New here. First post. Kind of discouraged over something in my aviation life. Been trying to get my CFII at a local University Flight School and have had a hard time of it.

Had been working as a CFI in the past. I went on to do other things, then I started working in aviation again recently and it rekindled my passion for flying. Started on the CFII again which I dropped 18 years ago.

First day, the instructor tells me he will start me, but not finish me. “Then what’s the point?” I thought. But I started out with him. Took almost 10 hours of sim/ground to get back to instrument speed and clear the IPC. He’s a good instructor and a competent pilot. He is busy with students.

Only two lessons in on the actual double I and then he texts me that he’s too busy with the college students to fit me in. End of semester. He needs to do checks. 2 weeks stretched to almost 4. Every time I texted him, he’s like “I’ll try to fit you in” then I wouldn’t hear anything.

I’m sure over the last month he could have found ONE HOUR to sit with me on the ground portion. I’m frustrated because I feel I can’t get a straight answer from this kid. All I want to do is bang this thing out and get my CFI reinstated and my double I. Not sure if something else happened there or what the deal is.

Anyone else been through something like this?

Tantalum likes this.
  2. Tantalum

Tantalum En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    not exactly, but I went to a bigger flight school for a little bit to finish up my private pilot and it took me about four instructors to finally find somebody who could dedicate their time to come and get me done. My advice to you, find someone else, this person obviously doesn't value you as a student

the best instructors will create a personalized lesson plan for you, worko scheduling, and book you and the plane three, four, or five Lessons out. When I finally finished my private, and eventually did my instrument, that's what those instructors did

3. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
  4. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    Thanks! That’s good advice

5. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    The other drawback is he is like the ONLY CFI that can teach double I. That’s how shredded this place is. Some feeder airline sets up a table once a month with donuts and coffee and tries recruiting the students/instructors. Big change from the past when it was pay-to-play.

6. wilkersk

wilkersk Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    KennyW
    Yep. As a 50 something 500hr VFR pilot, I went to a local part 141 school to get my instrument rating. I had so much difficulty trying to schedule regular training flights, I finally just said screw it. I'll just wait another year and go do one of accelerated "finnish up" courses next year after I retire. It seems to me they really want the young guys who want the whole 141 experience with financing. Us "pay as you go" geezers who just do this for fun are low priority.

7. Bellanca_Pilot

Bellanca_Pilot Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dewey
    POS! Karma will be his! What a way to discourage someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. kath

kath Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Katherine
    Not to be contrarian here... but it sounds like he *did* warn you at the beginning that exactly this would happen; that he'd be able to get you started but then get too busy. You made the choice to go with him anyway. So I understand that it's frustrating, but it sounds like he didn't lie or misguide you or anything.

CFI's that are qualified to take other CFI's are in short supply, and I'm not sure what to suggest. What region of the country are you in?

Zeldman likes this.
  9. BrianNC

BrianNC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    Just what I was going to say. Said he couldn't finish you, but you went with him anyway. He told the truth. Just need to move one.

Zeldman, Tarheelpilot and Doug Reid like this.
  10. TommyG

TommyG Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom
    Why is he the only one to teach CFII?

11. FreqFlyrJr

FreqFlyrJr Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    LuckyLindy
    One bad issue with the current instructor culture is the time-building mentality. A lot of CFI's will jump to the students who will give them the most hours, or the better pay. There aren't many good teachers in all of the instructors out there.

Don't take your "dump" hard. Find a new instructor and clearly state your intentions in the first meeting. If he/she can't finish you out, don't fly with them. Judge their current schedule for themselves. Even if you want to start later, ask what their schedule looks like this week. If it's too packed to fit a flight in, they probably don't have time for you.

12. Terry M - 3CK (Chicago)

Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Terry
    Can any CFII train a CFI to the Double I? Or they need an ATP or what?

13. mondtster

mondtster En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    mondtster
    Yes, they can. There are few constraints placed on instructors and what they can do.

14. Dean V

Dean V Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dean V
    Under Part 61 any CFII may train a CFI to become a CFII, but having an CFII with little or no instrument training experience would be a poor choice.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  15. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Kind of like calling your tax guy on April 14.

16. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    It is true that he stated that in the beginning, and being a Part 141 school and course (I am taking it 141) I understand the college students come first. My issue is that he really didn't give me a heads up before just cutting me from the schedule. When I texted him for the coming week's schedule (April 12) he stated the next few weeks would be busy. "But he'd see what he could do". There was just no communication there, and the following week when I asked him for a lesson, the same reply came. And the following week...and last week.

17. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    Should also state that apparently he is the only one who can train CFII at this school and there isn't an alternative for 50 miles.

18. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dmspilot
    Any CFII can train another CFI to be a CFII.

CFII is relatively straightforward as far as checkrides go. You're putting two things you already know how to do together — instrument flying and instructing. Grab a safety pilot* and fly under the hood from the right seat, and explain what you're doing. When you're proficient get the 3 hours with a CFII within 60 days and the signoff. You can do that quickly so the 50 miles to find another one shouldn't be a big problem.

*Might want to alternate between two people...one who isn't IR to see if your explanations make sense and one who is to make sure you're not doing anything incorrectly.

19. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    Anecdotal but I need a BFR and it seems like a flight instructor is hard to find. my home field used to have a few instructors; now they tell me there is only one and I can't even get him to call me back.

20. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
  21. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    Thank you! Good advice

22. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
  23. Jim_CAK

Jim_CAK Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim_CAK
    Just an observation - the young, time building instructor may not want to spend time giving ground lessons when he could be in the air building hours. I am not saying that is right - but I see that mentality often. I am fortunate that I am working with a retired CFI and he is not at all interested in building more flight hours. He likes instructing and the supplemental income that comes with it. An hour of ground or an hour of flight time is the same to him. I see some other younger CFIs that are, understandably trying to build every flight hour possible. That flight hour is much more valuable to them than an hour of ground - even if they pay the same. Good luck - I hope you find someone who's schedule works with yours.

LB 408A likes this.
  24. Brad Z

Brad Z En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    My advice would be to find another flight school...anywhere in the Country...and knock it out as an accelerated program. ATP Schools is probably the biggest and most popular (but certainly not the cheapest). There are plenty of other schools out there too, do your research. The big thing to consider is that the school can devote instructor resources and secure a DPE in a reasonable time frame. There's nothing worse than being trained and ready to go, but no DPEs available to test and running out of time.

mondtster likes this.
  25. mondtster

mondtster En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    mondtster
    I agree. Theres no reason this can’t be knocked out in short order if both the student and instructor devote their time to getting it done. With good weather and an average student I don’t see why this couldn’t be done in 3 or so days.

26. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    Thank you all for the advice.

27. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    What part of the country are you located?

28. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    Southeast

29. k9medic

k9medic Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    k9medic
    You wanna narrow that down a bit? Lousiana or South Carolina? Florida or Georgia?

30. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    I'm being vague on purpose as I don't know who reads these boards, but let's just say the Spanish had an influence here. ;)

31. k9medic

k9medic Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    k9medic
    Do you have a plane? I may be able to help you. If not, I have a plane and may still be able to help you. PM me.

32. Ventucky Red

Ventucky Red Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    John S
    My first instrument instructor left mid-way to go work for SkyWest. The person he recommended after a few flights went to work for Flight Safety as an instructor and told me and another student that he didn't have the time to teach after work anymore. The following guy told me that we would have to start all over again with the training as he had a certain way to teach and I may have picked up some bad habits this was before we ever flew together... including the x-country work, I was already 35 hours into it.. needles to say he failed the job interview.. Finally found this guy, he took me up, ran me through the wringer on all the PTS, we landed, debriefed, he gave my outline on what we needed to polish up for the check ride.. about 15 hours later including the check ride... Bingo...

Goes back to the old saying... "you're gonna kiss some frogs in life... don't let it get ya down."

455 Bravo Uniform likes this.
  33. BrianNC

BrianNC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    Not too good for the historically challenged. :D

LB 408A likes this.
  34. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    Thanks for support and advice. I appreciate everyone here giving their time and counsel.

35. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    Is that like Any Knight Can Make Another Knight?

36. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    All due respect but that is nothing new. I did my PPL in 1974 - 76 and it was the same.

Jim_CAK and Tarheelpilot like this.
  37. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    Arise Sir Jamie...

alfadog likes this.
  38. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    You might be near me. I live in Miami but work/fly out of KLNA. Lots of schools that are less "puppy mill" once you start moving north out of Miami. Palm Beach Flight Training at KLNA is a good example.

39. Sebastian Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    SThomas
    Thank you for the tip. :)

40. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    No, but any knight can upgrade another knight to his own level.