Dumbest thing you have done and lived to tell about it

Article says they noticed it during post flight in Henderson, but they had SanDiego to notice, then....

Yeah, we have no word on how quick that turn in San Diego was... pull up, shut one down, somebody boards, we go?

Also, the elevator was found "near the runway" at the original airport, so that preflight might not have caught it.

What'll be interesting is to learn WHY it detached. I'm sure there's more than one mounting point.

Yeah, we have no word on how quick that turn in San Diego was... pull up, shut one down, somebody boards, we go?

Also, the elevator was found "near the runway" at the original airport, so that preflight might not have caught it.

What'll be interesting is to learn WHY it detached. I'm sure there's more than one mounting point.

This is why I take a firm grip on control surfaces and other structural items. They should not fail, feel weak or have excess play with hand pressure.

He said I should start adding more checklists (I forget stuff) including "GUMPS" which I never do, since I don't have the "G" or the "U" or the "P" in my 150. We were in the 172 which does have the "G".

Forgetting stuff is bad... m'kay? ;)

You can do a mini "U". Look out the window and make sure the tire isn't flat.

If you ever go flying with Kent, this will become important. ;) ;) ;)

Forgetting stuff is bad... m'kay? ;)

You can do a mini "U". Look out the window and make sure the tire isn't flat.

If you ever go flying with Kent, this will become important. ;) ;) ;)

When I look out my window all I see is the top of a wheel pant (not a tire):

7666434594_25b2f63241.jpg

This reminds me of tonight's flight. I was so excited to put the owner of my flight school (and of several planes that I might one day fly) into the leaseback plane I needed to fly to do three landings at night. I am night current but don't want to run out of currency. Anyhow, I hoped he would see I was a safe pilot etc. and at the end I asked for a review. He said I should start adding more checklists (I forget stuff) including "GUMPS" which I never do, since I don't have the "G" or the "U" or the "P" in my 150. We were in the 172 which does have the "G". It was just luck that he was there and I invited him up. I asked if he'd ever been a pax in one of his rentals and he thought and said no. I was the first!

G (GAS) can mean many things. I use it for the following

-fuel on the correct tank (if so equipped)
-mixture properly set (generally full rich for landing)
-boost pump on (if so equipped)

G (GAS) can mean many things. I use it for the following

-fuel on the correct tank (if so equipped)
-mixture properly set (generally full rich for landing)
-boost pump on (if so equipped)

I thought "M" was for mixture?

GUMPS is "Gas, Undercarriage, Mixture, Prop, Seats / Seatbelts" right?

You know, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. This may be my "dumbest thing". :)

You could always use "check the fuel level" as your G. Or carb heat (which may be a stretch...but if you don't use it your "G" may stop).

S for me is "seatbelts & switches". Switches is boost pump (again) and things such as the landing light.

Seriously guys. How can so many of you possibly afford to fly and have a bunch of wives. If you guys can afford that many wives you are way richer than me. What the heck are you guys doing for a living anyway?

Seriously guys. How can so many of you possibly afford to fly and have a bunch of wives. If you guys can afford that many wives you are way richer than me. What the heck are you guys doing for a living anyway?

If you are doing it right, the wives are affording you:wink2:

I don't believe any of us have a bunch of wives - but several of us have had a bunch of wives. One at a time, that's the ticket.

My first divorce was cheap by any standard, only cost me about 3 grand. My second one ended up costing me about 32 grand, and that got my attention. I picked better the third time...

I would have paid more than that to be rid of both of them, by the way... :D

Gumps is: Gear, Undercarriage, make sure the gear is down, put the gear down, see the gear is down.

I don't believe any of us have a bunch of wives - but several of us have had a bunch of wives. One at a time, that's the ticket.

My first divorce was cheap by any standard, only cost me about 3 grand. My second one ended up costing me about 32 grand, and that got my attention. I picked better the third time...

I would have paid more than that to be rid of both of them, by the way... :D
I won't make it to a third marriage. :no:

From another forum:

Earlier this week at KUAO the pilot of a Cessna 340 refueled. The FBO was closed (9:15pm), so he used the Self Serve. When he was done, the grounding cable was left attached to the plane... and when he taxied away the prop caught it. In seconds it wrapped around the prop, the clamp beat the cowl in, damaging the induction system leading to FODing the motor. The prop will also need to be replaced. Lots of sheet metal damage... It only took a few seconds... 5 seconds, $50K of damage. Be careful out there!

:yikes:

Dumbest thing I ever did was NOT marrying my wife in 1956. I had to wait till 2004 when we got back together again.

Man I could really have had her trained by now.:D

Paul
N1431A
N83803
2AZ1

Ah, the optimism of newlywed-hood.

You have it backwards. If you had married your wife in 1956, you'd be the trained one now.

Ah, the optimism of newlywed-hood.

You have it backwards. If you had married your wife in 1956, you'd be the trained one now.
Hahaha! Probably true in my case as well.

I tell my wife all the time that it took me 50 years to find her. Her standard reply is it took us both 50 years to work out our rough edges so we would be compatible. :wink2:

Fact is, we would have been horrible for each other if we had met/married each other our first time. Sometimes you get what you need right when you need it, and not a minute too soon.

> Geez people, how many wives do you have?!

In my late 20's, a young lady in her mid/late 20's approached
me in a bar. Her opening line was, "You look just like my 4th
husband."

I stammered out, "Fourth? FOURTH?? How many times have
you been married?" She answered, "Three"

husband."

Heh giggidy? Maybe?

husband."

This belongs in the joke thread, that was funny.

Now since I don’t make mistakes I felt compelled to share a funny story that I heard…
The scene is as follows. It was a dark night with a chill in the air. The field was barren of life except a lowly security officer conducting his rounds. The field is laid out with a fairly complex taxi layout and extremely poor lighting. The unnamed pilot had finished a meal in one of the town’s famed eateries. With the initial pre-taxi checklist complete, gentle power was applied and the roar of the Lycoming ushered the 152 right along. Enroute to the designated calm wind runway, a glance at the taxi diagram was made to ensure positional awareness and to note the appropriate taxiway transitions. Upon arrival to the runup area a standard check of all instruments and engine performance was completed. The pilot felt assured that a safe takeoff and climbout would ensue. A textbook radio call was bellowed out for departure and the pilot proceeded out... Due to the low light, the pilot scrunched his eyes and focused his gaze directly in front of the nose to maintain that taxi line. A sense of doubt overcome him as he was uncertain of his exact position. Another quick glance to the taxi diagram and our dubious pilot was convinced that he had taxied out on to the runway. One last speedy check for potential traffic and now full throttle! The roll out begins, right rudder, a glance at the gauges….the pilot multi-tasking as if his life depended on it. The pilot silently asks the question, “why is the runway center line yellow and solid?!?” Something is not right, said the pilot. In one rapid motion the throttle was retracted and the takeoff roll aborted. Pondering the error, the pilot taxied back to the starting position. He quickly noted that as he left the runup area and diligently followed the taxi line he failed to be cognizant that it branched of shortly after. One taxi line led to the runway and the other to the parallel taxiway. Lesson learned for our pilot friend is that fixation will lead to failure to notice the obvious even if its right in front of us.
I’m glad I wasn’t this guy…:redface:

1) I flew without my iPad today. I left it at home. Thank goodness the 2 GPS receivers in my G1000, the SVT, the two Nav radios, the updated Jepp flight chart subscription, my 496, paper plates in the plane for my intended airport even though there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and my iPhone GPS enabled me to safely complete the flight from Ogden, UT to Fort Collins, CO. I have no idea how I'm going to make it home tomorrow.

2) About two weeks ago I blew a taxi instruction at my home airport. It was night but even so, I've landed at this airport about 1,000 times and I've had the same hangar for the last 7 years. Fortunately I caught it in time and just requested the taxiway I was about to enter. I was just a little too complacent and didn't really pay attention to the taxiway where I exited the runway. It was a great learning experience that even at my home field, a short lapse of focus can lead to a really stupid mistake.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back