Dumbest thing ever heard out of a pilots mouth

"Rosie O'Donnell" :rolleyes:

Ask and you shall receive!

Rosie.jpg

"It'll be OK. The instructors have been flying that plane like that all day"

(When talking about a Tire I wasnt satisfied with. The tire was in worse condition than a tire that DID blow out on me. )

If he was quoting verbatim, maybe that's exactly what he heard. Which would actually make the quotee (is that a word?) doubly dumb.
Correctamundo. Bad advice with incorrect terminology.
I ended up driving to my destination that day. I should really get an instrument ticket.

I was walking around a Seneca that was for sale with the possible buyer/pilot.
I said this aircraft has everything, even vortex generators. The Pilot responds "it doesn't have generators, it has alternators".

Kevin

"We'll figure out where those parts go after we fly it back home."

Went from a Tecnam to a 152? Brutal.

Sort of. It was one of those "cool" discovery flights in a brand new(ish) 2009 Tecnam Sierra LSA with $100K of glass panel instruments and leather seats. You know, you pay $49 and they get you "hooked" on aviation. Only I did not know ANYTHING about planes so he probably just let me fly at altitude and the rest of the time was "secretly" helping me - even though I thought I took off and landed. Yeah right. That flight school never got back to me, long story, so I had to go about 30 mins north to a different airport where I met my current CFI and had my first lesson in the 152. That was when I said the dumbest thing ever heard out of a pilot's mouth - my plane (Tecnam) had no rudders or trim. God, I was sooooo stupid.

"You can't make me puke." Boasted for the 3rd time in one flight by a 4,000 hour pilot about 10 minutes before he filled a gallon sized zip lock bag.

I should add that I'm pretty proud of the fact that no one's ever had bodily emissions in my plane that didn't ask for it. I've given a lot of rides and have it down to a system how to get a nervous tummy the fartherest into a ride without getting queazy. Every time someone has filled the bag, it's been right after I said something to the effect "We're done, let's go land." and they begged for more or literally dared me to make them eject their lunch.

Perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard said was by a pilot that was flying at about 100' AGL under a 101' ceiling, up an interstate between the north and southbound lanes; "Geez, look at that lady driving along putting on her eye makeup and talking on her cell phone. Doesn't she realize how dangerous that is?"

I should add that I'm pretty proud of the fact that no one's ever had bodily emissions in my plane that didn't ask for it. I've given a lot of rides and have it down to a system how to get a nervous tummy the fartherest into a ride without getting queazy. Every time someone has filled the bag, it's been right after I said something to the effect "We're done, let's go land." and they begged for more or literally dared me to make them eject their lunch.

Perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard said was by a pilot that was flying at about 100' AGL under a 101' ceiling, up an interstate between the north and southbound lanes; "Geez, look at that lady driving along putting on her eye makeup and talking on her cell phone. Doesn't she realize how dangerous that is?"

OMG that lady was probably me.

"I know the grass is knee high, but there's a path down the left side. If we keep the left gear in the short grass....... we can make it."

They didn't make it..... luckily only left their gear in the ditch at the end of the runway.

Sort of. It was one of those "cool" discovery flights in a brand new(ish) 2009 Tecnam Sierra LSA with $100K of glass panel instruments and leather seats. You know, you pay $49 and they get you "hooked" on aviation. Only I did not know ANYTHING about planes so he probably just let me fly at altitude and the rest of the time was "secretly" helping me - even though I thought I took off and landed. Yeah right. That flight school never got back to me, long story, so I had to go about 30 mins north to a different airport where I met my current CFI and had my first lesson in the 152. That was when I said the dumbest thing ever heard out of a pilot's mouth - my plane (Tecnam) had no rudders or trim. God, I was sooooo stupid.
It's allowed. Unless you already passed your checkride, you're allowed to not know how planes work. Hell, even rated pilots need a refresher.

A rental plane came back with two large dents on the leading edge of the elevator. When asked how they got there, the answer started with, "Well, there we were, pulling the plane out of the weeds, and... "

"the most dangerous part is the drive to the airport"

When I lived in LA it was the truth!:hairraise::hairraise::hairraise: The drive between the docks I lived on in Wilmington and the Long Beach Airport took me through neighborhoods so bad that the cop didn't take my gun away when he "found" (I told him it was next to the seat chambered...) it in my car.

Why would that be considered a dumb comment?

I got broadsided by a redlight running idget on the way to the airport about 10 years ago. He hit me hard enough to split the engine and transmission apart and bend the steel frame support under the vehicle on the opposite side of where he hit about a foot.

Not sure if this was dumb but it was startling...
My CFII during our instrument training asked me to taxi to a spot at the airport where I could verify that my VOR is within tolerable 4 deg error. I taxied and got to the spot, set my parking brake and proceeded with the VOR check when he pointed out I was pointing in the wrong direction. I opened my eyes in disbelief since VOR is not depended which way aircraft is pointing. When I explained this to my CFII he said "show it to me..". I don't recall how it ended, it was very long time ago but I was a bit shaken and lost a bit of confidence in my CFII.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was dumb but it was startling...
My CFII during our instrument training asked me to taxi to a spot at the airport where I could verify that my VOR is within tolerable 4 deg error. I taxied and got to the spot, set my parking brake and proceeded with the VOR check when he pointed out I was pointing in the wrong direction. I opened my eyes in disbelief since VOR is not depended which way aircraft is pointing. When I explained this to my CFII he said "show it to me..". I don't recall how it ended, it was very long time ago but I was a bit shaken and lost a bit of confidence in my CFII.

How did he determine you were pointed in the wrong direction?

How did he determine you were pointed in the wrong direction?
If I recall there was some painted stripe on the ground suggesting of a possible prefered position. It was not far from the threshold of either 27L or 27R at KOAK. I grabbed some satellite photos but can't seem to recognize the spot, it was over 20 yers ago. My CFII ultimately went to work for FAA and otherwise I don't think he was bad, he was an experienced Citation flyer, not sure whether to blame it on his temporary lack of concentration, or mindless comment but definitely it was not meant as a joke.

EDIT: I think I can see the area on the google photos, it has an arrow inside a circle and the sign posted (you can see the sign but can't read it) that says it is a VOR check. It is right in between 27L and 27R, lower than thresholds, I guess you should be pointing where the arrow is pointing. I guess the arrow is to symbolize the direction where the VOR is but clearly it doesn't mean you have to point the nose of the aircraft there.

Last edited:
That was going to be my question, if he maybe meant that as a joke or was checking to see if you got it.... Wow

If I recall there was some painted stripe on the ground suggesting of a possible prefered position. It was not far from the threshold of either 27L or 27R at KOAK. I grabbed some satellite photos but can't seem to recognize the spot, it was over 20 yers ago. My CFII ultimately went to work for FAA and otherwise I don't think he was bad, he was an experienced Citation flyer, not sure whether to blame it on his temporary lack of concentration, or mindless comment but definitely it was not meant as a joke.

EDIT: I think I can see the area on the google photos, it has an arrow inside a circle and the sign posted (you can see the sign but can't read it) that says it is a VOR check. It is right in between 27L and 27R, lower than thresholds, I guess you should be pointing where the arrow is pointing. I guess the arrow is to symbolize the direction where the VOR is but clearly it doesn't mean you have to point the nose of the aircraft there.

Got it.

Attachments

• OAK VOR receiver check.JPG
    OAK VOR receiver check.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 42
That's the direction to the VOR...but you don't need to have your aircraft pointed in that direction.

At least that's my experience at the ground check points I've used.

Back