DUI's long time ago.

Yep, you screwed up. But it's recoverable. Now...

Go join AOPA. You might be able to get a free student membership. Not sure if they're still doing that. Otherwise it'll cost you about $40 or so, but you get a really nice magazine.

aopa.org

After doing that, get on the AOPA forum and post this in medical matters.

forums.aopa.org

A fellow by the name of Dr Bruce will respond in day or so. Follow his advice to the letter. If you go further with him, as in you become his patient, do not lie to him one iota. He will drop you like a hot rock if you do. You can skip the AOPA part and go straight to him if you like. Not sure if he charges for the initial questions.

www.aeromedicaldoc.com

After you get squared away (may take a few months) go forth and sin no more.

Last edited:
They said they found another 2 DUI incidents

Im no help, but just wondering if you had checked the national driver register and not just your state. That's the database the FAA uses for a record search, I'm told. If it wasn't there, how did they find those old DUIs?

Yeah, thank you.
That's the first thing I did, Dr. Bruce had just replied, and it is not looking good. The minimum scenario is that I will get suspended for a year. He wrote a large response almost immediately, saying that I should send my certificate back to FAA and hope they don't come at me with federal charges. As for his help, I he thinks that's too late...

Last edited:
Yeah, thank you.
That's the first thing I did, Dr. Bruce had just replied, and it is not looking good. The minimum scenario is that I will get suspended for a year. He wrote a large response almost immediately, saying that I should send my certificate back to FAA and hope they don't come at me with federal charges. As for his help, I he thinks that's too late...

Might not be that bad, but if it is, it isn't the end of the world either. Since you're only a student pilot, there's not much to suspend. Sure, you won't be able to solo, unless you do gliders, but you can still take lessons and log dual time. The important thing is to get it all taken care of.

Good luck!!

Aviation is my life, I cannot imagine anything else that I want to be in. I have few other things that puts the bread on the table, that are regardless, but I still want to go commercial. Now I understand that with this GREAT start, including my record there is no way that any airline will hire me even ten years from now, but I still want to be able to get all licenses and certificates here in US, so I can work i some other country, perhaps.

Aviation is my life, I cannot imagine anything else that I want to be in. I have few other things that puts the bread on the table, that are regardless, but I still want to go commercial. Now I understand that with this GREAT start, including my record there is no way that any airline will hire me even ten years from now, but I still want to be able to get all licenses and certificates here in US, so I can work i some other country, perhaps.

Whether true or not, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Lot's of non-airline blue collar jobs out there that are a lot more fun than sitting up front reading a newspaper.

That is true. I know that after I fix the problems with FAA, after sometime, maybe even years, I would be able to reinstate and even earn my certificates, up to but not including ATPL here in US, but work... Most likely not, unless they will issue a global amnesty or will lack pilots so much...
I never imagined an airline pilot job as a source of income, I have others which suit me well. It is more a goal, a dream, a lifestyle, and a passion. I know that aviation doesn't start or end in the seat of the Boeing... But still... What are my possible options working in airline? Europe?

Well you contacted Dr. Bruce. That's good. I get aviation is your life - it's ours too but the law is the law.

Take whatever steps you must to get back behind the controls, but get mentally prepared that it's pretty much over. IF anyone can perform a miracle it's Dr -

I've never worked as a pilot so I don't know exactly - but it would be a safe bet that you will never ever work in as a pilot. Sorry - not trying to be harsh- but its gonna be reality.. good luck to you.

On the bright side - you changed your life and I am sure you and your family are proud of yoU!

Thank you.

I will post here n how it's going to advance.

Just for future example for people that might be in similar situation.

These DUI threads are becoming oddly formulaic. This one has all the themes: "Aviation is my life", a .15 and a refusal to blow, failure to disclose, and now a letter from the FAA. Perhaps I'm jaded but I sometimes wonder if these are real posts or fake accounts for the purpose of riling up the regulars here. Anyway, assuming this is real...

The OP needs a lawyer, not a AME at this point. If what the OP, says is correct, he's being investigated for falsification of an application.

As for a career, you're virtually unemployable for any flying job that requires insurance...and they all do. Foreign airlines aren't hiring no-time folks.

That's all assuming you're able to eventually jump through the HIMS hoops of getting a medical in the first place.

I'm might suggest interest in another field, sorry.

I am a different man with all mistakes of my past dragging me into hell hole.

Vince
My advise to you,
If you want it bad enough you'll do what ever they ask!! Get a lawyer! Look into a alcohol treatment program. You may not like that idea, you may thing it's stupid or a waste of time and money. If not then your not willing to do want it take.

Last edited:
These DUI threads are becoming oddly formulaic. This one has all the themes: "Aviation is my life", a .15 and a refusal to blow, failure to disclose, and now a letter from the FAA. Perhaps I'm jaded but I sometimes wonder if these are real posts or fake accounts for the purpose of riling up the regulars here. Anyway, assuming this is real...

The OP needs a lawyer, not a AME at this point. If what the OP, says is correct, he's being investigated for falsification of an application.

As for a career, you're virtually unemployable for any flying job that requires insurance...and they all do. Foreign airlines aren't hiring no-time folks.

That's all assuming you're able to eventually jump through the HIMS hoops of getting a medical in the first place.

I'm might suggest interest in another field, sorry.

Starting to think you are correct. How could aviation be your life and you haven't even solo'd yet. Oh well

shouldn't be too hard to check the AOPA medical forum to see if this guy actually contacted Dr. Bruce, right?.... Oh wait, none of you guys belong to AOPA, so you have to assume he's a troll.... Yeah. I forgot. Sorry.

shouldn't be too hard to check the AOPA medical forum to see if this guy actually contacted Dr. Bruce, right?.... Oh wait, none of you guys belong to AOPA, so you have to assume he's a troll.... Yeah. I forgot. Sorry.

What makes you think he contacted Dr. Bruce via the Red Board? I'm active on both forums, and the OP hasn't posted anything over there.

I contacted Dr. Bruce through his website b email. He answered right away, and gave me all information that I need. As for now, I am returning my medical cert. to FAA via mail as well as sending them a letter with explaining my actions. Later I will post whats going to happen

What makes you think he contacted Dr. Bruce via the Red Board? I'm active on both forums, and the OP hasn't posted anything over there.

I didn't say he did, didn't say he didn't. Frankly I don't care. My point was, these guys couldn't look, they just speculated.

Honestly, most new people who come in here are assumed and accused of being a troll. Who cares? What difference does it make?

Answer the question. Don't answer the question. Or move on.

In this case the guys integrity was questioned because it couldn't be possible that he could consider "flying his life" because "he hadn't done it long enough". by whose standard?

Why is it OK around here that "group think" can insult people, Brad?

What famous scam artist said that? hmm.. Oh yaeh, Hillary :)

You are "confused". Eight, I repeat 8 different investigations have proven she had nothing to hide concerning Benghazi. This includes an admiral and a well respected former ambassador. It's also important to remember that she and stevens knew each other well and were good friends. Try to get your facts straight. What makes a difference in this case is the ops drinking problem. Does he still drink alcoholic beverages?! How long has it been since he had one?
It's possible he still doesn't realize he has a drinking problem. It's also possible he should not even be driving much less flying an airplane. This is taken very seriously by the FAA and rightfully so.

If you can't resist political sniping, take it somewhere else.

What famous scam artist said that? hmm.. Oh yaeh, Hillary :)

I'm stunned by this. Hillary? Really?

FWIW, I still remember the thrill of learning to fly. Working really hard so I could get off work on time and get to the airport for my lesson. When I got sick and lost my medical I really felt like something important was being ripped away from me. I had a hard time with it, and I didn't even do anything wrong to put myself in that position.

It would be really hard to find out in this way that life follows you and consequences hit you when you least expect it for crap you did a long time ago.

Poster is responsible. He has never said he isn't. But give him a place to vent, to get good relevant information, and stop calling him names or prejudging him. Yeah, once in a great while, some idiot is going to jerk your chain. But, so what? Why does someone like me even have to say this? It should just be common sense.

@Jim. What exactly am I confused about?? I mentioned nothing about Benghazi pal - you did. She absolutely did say "what's the difference ". Thats a fact. If you can prove she did not say that then so be it. But i watched her say it so good luck proving she didnt say it.

its clear you are confused on what i said. Perhaps re-read it before you start bashing.

If you can't resist political sniping, take it somewhere else.
Concur
@Jim. What exactly am I confused about?? I mentioned nothing about Benghazi pal - you did. She absolutely did say "what's the difference ". Thats a fact. If you can prove she did not say that then so be it. But i watched her say it so good luck proving she didnt say it.

its clear you are confused on what i said. Perhaps re-read it before you start bashing.

Little Jimmy's a well-known talking-points troll in the Spin Zone. Pay no attention to him, he writes only in talking points written for him. He never bothers with "evidence" or "facts" as they don't come in talking-point form.

Concur

Little Jimmy's a well-known talking-points troll in the Spin Zone. Pay no attention to him, he writes only in talking points written for him. He never bothers with "evidence" or "facts" as they don't come in talking-point form.

Thanks for the update. I simply stated what she said. Nothing more, nothing less..

I promised to give you guys update on that one. I did not voluntarily turned in my medical (and thanks god), called friend instructors and pilots and they talked me out of this. Sent a letter to an investigator with explaining myself. No word from them (FAA) since then. Still legal and valid. Keeping fingers crossed.

I promised to give you guys update on that one. I did not voluntarily turned in my medical (and thanks god), called friend instructors and pilots and they talked me out of this. Sent a letter to an investigator with explaining myself. No word from them (FAA) since then. Still legal and valid. Keeping fingers crossed.

Did you ever talk to an aviation attorney by chance? Most instructors/pilots/friends have no experience with the FAA security folks regarding unreported DUIs.

i am not sure keeping it makes it legal and valid but am glad you are pursuing your options with the FAA

Not sure what the OP was going for flight-wise. The definition of commercial can mean many things.

However, that said, I think your chances of flying with an airline are pretty much nill if you go down that route.

Canada, for example, can deny you entry for having a DUI on your record. While they probably don't enforce that often, an airline probably won't hire you on if your resume is on their desk with 30 other people that have clean records. They might be willing to "fix" a pilot that slipped up and is a current employee, but forget about hiring one that may expose them to liability right out of the gate.

I don't know if regionals are the same.

Stop listening to the advice of your friends and start paying attention to the advice of qualified medical professionals. You talked to flight instructors and pilots who talked you out of this. I can phone a friend too that'll agree with me, doesn't make that person the authority on the issue.

If a senior AME told me to send in my medical I'd damn sure be listening to him as opposed to a "flying buddy" or someone who has no dice in the game.

I don't think you're getting it. Just because you refused to blow and won, doesn't mean jack to the FAA. The FAA is still going to see the refusal and a refusal is still a positive. What you might be able to get away with in the auto-world doesn't work out the same in the aviation world.

If it's not Dr. Bruce, get a QUALIFIED AME to review your situation. Sending letters to the FAA and promising to be a better non-drinker ain't gonna do it.

I think he sealed his own fate already. But some will never listen regardless of how much advice they ask for. The don't hear what they want they keep asking until someone tells them what they want...

......Still legal and valid. Keeping fingers crossed.
No it is not, and with two events, one of which was a 0.15, you can expect the "find a HIMS AME" letter, which results in the $2,800 evaluation, because two events, handled after the 2009 changeover, gives you the presumptive diagnosis of chronic repetitive abuse (which it is, by definition) and requires you prove it not so.

Oh well. Now THEY control the agenda (and they will). How do you prove sobriety, and recovery, on a 60 day demand? Pretty tough to do.

The trick would have been to do it the OTHER way around....
DMV search
Personal Statement
Medical record review
Letters from those on letterhead, who know and your performance
Psychiatrist's evaluation (HIMS or not).
Several Random urines all negative.....
Evidence of recovery activities.....

You might as well start getting this together because 60 days is very short, from the time they create the letter to the time the enforcement notice arrives.

You could have a gathered all the above, simply not flown (NOT exercised your cert) and sent the notification of all, together with all the favorable stuff and given the inspector cause to not discipline your PILOT certificate for lying (omitting).....now you are totally at their mercy (though you might be the fellow who said he didn't have any pilot certificates- that works out a little better then, it's been what 3 months, I can't exactly remember). Well, I'm glad you are going to get this worked out but you did this pretty badly.

Dr. Lou (I'm sure), and I both see a LOT of those.....

The alcohol division at the agency is not very forgiving. You might physically possess that ticket, but when you get on their enforcement list, the agency docs will all stop talking to you until you give it up. It will take about 90 days total.

I have no idea where pilots get the notion that because they have a piece of paper that it's still valid.....and why would one EVER set forth something before the agency, that isn't actionable favorably?

Something that grounds you grounds you the moment it's there...you're medical is NOT good to the next medical after an MI, nor is it good after any of a great number of things.....including loss of consciousness, change in mental state...... "Oh but I still have it!" means nada.

G'luck, Vince/(vas). Keep the crowd posted. :(

:(

Last edited:
It still continues to amaze me how some folks think they can dance thru this kind of deal. The FAA is not the DMV. The FAA is concerned with MEDICAL stuff, not necessarily legal stuff, as in, how you got out of your DUI.

Oh well. A long row to hoe. Carry on.

First thing I thought was getting your records expunged, but too late for that with the FAA already having knowledge. And, 10 years isn't a long time.... 30 is.

Last edited:
Another example illustrating Dr. Bruce's frustration with giving advice. The OP decided "friend instructors and pilots" know more than a medical professional who specializes in helping pilots with noncompliance issues.

I'm sure those friends will also be able to advise the OP how to properly handle the **** storm that will soon be arriving via the US mail.

First thing I thought was getting your records expunged, but too late for that with the FAA already having knowledge. And, 10 years isn't a long time.... 30 is.

There's no way to do that. Maryland will not expunge convictions except in very rare circumstances (such as when the law was repealed, etc..). Not going to happen in this circumstance and as you point out, the cat's out of the bag as far as the FAA is concerned anyhow. The FAA isn't so much concerned with the criminal record but the demonstrated substance abuse problem.

Oh, and by the way, expungements don't work for everything. For CBP purposes (and entry to certain other countries) you must disclose even if the record was expunged. And once CBP (and other countries immigration agencies have the records, they can release them to others in accordance with data sharing policies.

That's not to say that one who qualifies for expungement shouldn't have it done, just that there's no guarantee it will stay out of the eyes of government agencies.

Oh, and by the way, expungements don't work for everything. For CBP purposes (and entry to certain other countries) you must disclose even if the record was expunged. And once CBP (and other countries immigration agencies have the records, they can release them to others in accordance with data sharing policies.

That's not to say that one who qualifies for expungement shouldn't have it done, just that there's no guarantee it will stay out of the eyes of government agencies.

Some states have erasure. Not for convictions, but for arrests. Nobody. NOBODY will ever see anything. Ever. It's erased. Non existent.

Again, that's for arrests, and particular arrests that qualify for erasure may vary from expungement.

Some states have erasure. Not for convictions, but for arrests. Nobody. NOBODY will ever see anything. Ever. It's erased. Non existent.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, wait, you were serious?

You realize that those arrests go into a federal database at the time they occur, and the Feds don't erase squat.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, wait, you were serious?

You realize that those arrests go into a federal database at the time they occur, and the Feds don't erase squat.

You are incorrect. Some states petition the Feds, some don't. Connecticut has erasure, and they ensure fingerprints are removed from the FBI database. Again, no erasure for convictions. It is different than expungement.

Connecticut has erasure, and they ensure fingerprints are removed from the FBI database.

I'd LOVE to know how they do that... do they have root access to the FBI's database? :)

Take about ten seconds to make a "CONNECTICUT_ERASED" true-false column in the table, and use it to hide it in reports to everyone... while not deleting it at all.

Just some for for thought re: expungements, sealed records, etc. I have handled quite a few of these cases over the past 17 years and there is always a record. Even when pardoned. Does the medical application ask about dwi arrests regardless of conviction? I remember the bar exam was quite specific; it asked about arrests and convictions, and it specifically mentioned pardons and expungements.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back