DUI path

Giuliano

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gio
I know many posts have been written about dui's, but I was hoping to get some advice on my specific situation. I applied for a class one medical and yesterday was deferred due to a DUI. I'm 34 now, the DUI happened right after I turned 21. I refused the breathalyzer, thus had no evidence of above or below .15 bac. I completed probation, mandatory alcohol counseling, and 100 hrs of community service without issue. This has been the only alcohol related offense in my life. I understand the FAA is going to contact me and request court documents, as well as my driving record from each state I've had a license, and a personal statement. Since my DUI, I have graduated from college, been a naturalist guide in the outdoors for multiple summers, and have managed/bartended a local bar in a ski resort. My coworkers all know me as "the healthy one" and "the bartender who doesn't drink". I never drank as a high schooler and when I turned 21, I made a really silly mistake. Alcohol has never been a problem in my life and I enjoy a glass of wine here and there.

From my research I don't believe this will preclude me from receiving a class one, however any advice about how to proceed is appreciated. Any advice on the general timeline I am looking at is also appreciated, as I was on the verge of moving to another state to begin flight school before this road block.

Thank you so much for time.

Last edited:
You need a HIMS ame and are looking about a year minimum to get a medical. You should start random drug testing asap to start documenting abstinence/sobriety. If you have not yet been denied a medical you could at least start training to get a sport pilot certificate and you can at least build time and still fly with some limitations.

You need a HIMS ame and are looking about a year minimum to get a medical. You should start random drug testing asap to start documenting abstinence/sobriety. If you have not yet been denied a medical you could at least start training to get a sport pilot certificate and you can at least build time and still fly with some limitations.
Unfortunately, I was denied the medical yesterday. So now I wait for the FAA to reply. But in your opinion im guaranteed the HIMS route with an AME?

Unfortunately, I was denied the medical yesterday. So now I wait for the FAA to reply. But in your opinion im guaranteed the HIMS route with an AME?
I think at minimum you’ll have to go thru the abuse path and be monitored for at least 2-3 years and then you might be released. It really depends on how much you can convince the HIMS psychiatrist that this was just a one off dui that will never happen again and you don’t have any tolerance or other criteria that would result in being labeled alcohol dependent. But contact a HIMS ame and start the process because it moves very slowly. I would put any flight training on hold until your medical is issued. You could also contact and aviation attorney and get their advice. Message me if you want a name or if I can answer any more of your questions. I’ve been thru the entire HIMS process and it’s awful and full of corrupt individuals that like to call themselves physicians.

Yes, I do understand that, however I was hoping to maybe hear some positive experiences from folks. That maybe this will only take a few months to resolve and not a few years. Everything ive read so far has been that it is a long arduous path through C regardless of the circumstances of the individual.
The FAA isn't God (though they may think so at times) but they do have that "no respect of persons" thing in common ...

It’s a big pain in the ass but it’s what u have to go thru to get medical. Take it a step at a time and eventually u will get there.

Yes, I do understand that, however I was hoping to maybe hear some positive experiences from folks.

Unfortunately, the people who come back to report their positive experience are few. On the flip side, few come back to report they have abandoned the process. I can understand the desire to be reassured by those who have gone before, but there are not as many wanting to report back on their success as you'd imagine or hope for. Perhaps you'll come back in a bit and report on your success for the next person's peace of mind.

Since you are looking at the HIMS AME anyway, why not go ahead and get setup w/ one and talk to them about it? I'm sure they can give you better numbers and statistics for the likelihood of a positive outcome, based upon all the facts of your situation.

And good luck, and lots of patience.

you should probably start the 14 in 12 tests immediately as thats just a counter for them. They wont acccept you saying "Im the bartender that doesnt drink". . So actual proctored tests from an accepted lab are necessary. It can take less time if you have everything in order, but if you're starting from scratch - then yes they will need all the information and they will want to see a track record of you complying with abstinence - of which you have none. You're going to have to give up the glass of wine here and there if they require abstinence.

If you already have a history of AA meetings (signed off) and have the starting alcohol tests, then they can move a bit faster than the full timeline. You have the advantage that its been 13 years, but I dont know how much credit they will give you on that if you refused. Dr Chien, Fowler or Wingman med can provide better insight on that. You may want to consider retaining one of them to guide you though the process.

Back