DUATS VFR flight plan filing

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I haven't tried it yet, but I will today. Is there a time limit on how far in advance you can file the plan without it 'timing out' before your expected departure time?

I'm anxious to hear the answer, because I can VERY quickly file a flight plan from my IPhone with Foreflight. I'm sure the answer to your question will be same for me.

Doc

DUATS doesn't send it in to the FSS pukes until a short time before your proposed departure time. I believe you can file it up to almost 24 hours in advance (as you can't state a "date" for departure).

The thing will generally not be avialable at FSS more than 30 minutes before nor 2 hours or so after your proposed departure time. One of the number one screwups in why VFR plans get lost is that they have the wrong proposed time (usually some brain fart computing from your watch to military Z time).

Turns out to be moot anyway. I canceled the XC I was going to do - too much rain and radar echos between where I was and where I wanted to be, so I just goofed around locally for an hour and a half.

The reason I asked - I've always called in my flight plan and gotten the briefing at the same time. This time, because of my schedule and the distance I had to drive to the airport, I was going to file about an hour and a half early, then get a briefing at the last minute. I figured that an hour and a half wouldn't be a problem, but then I got to wondering what the limit is.

It does make sense that 23:59 hours in advance would work, since there is no date field, only departure time.

In a similar vein, is there any amount of time I should wait after a filing a flight plan (ie is it possible to get in the air before FSS gets your plan?)

Since you can fly without a VFR flight plan to begin with, it's certainly possible to get into the air before FSS gets your plan.

If you want to use the filed flight plan in this context, wait until the time FSS is expected to receive it, call and open it giving your actual departure time and your current location.

In a similar vein, is there any amount of time I should wait after a filing a flight plan (ie is it possible to get in the air before FSS gets your plan?)

It's pretty darned quick these days. I've filed them for +15 minutes and they've been there when I called.

I've been filing via ForeFlight's DUATS connection and get confirmations back pretty quick. It won't let you file more than 24 hours in advance. Not sure when they send them to ATC, but I noticed my filed flight plan showed up on Flightaware more than 12 hrs before our scheduled departure after filing via ForeFlight.

I believe that Duat(s) sends your flight plan to the FAA computers 1 hour prior to your departure time specified in your flight plan. I usually have DUAT(S) email me the confirmation on an IFR plan, and I get those an hour prior to departure.

I can't speak for VFR plans, but I file SFRA VFR plans via DUATS through Foreflight and pick up my squawk by the time I get to the runup area...

It's pretty darned quick these days. I've filed them for +15 minutes and they've been there when I called.

I believe there's also a limit on how soon you can depart. If you're sitting in the aircraft ready to start using a data card and mobile device, I believe the online system will reject a 5 minute future departure time.

Completely from experimentation I think the limit is 15 minutes.

Of course you can file for the later time and open it in the air with an earlier time if you beat the clock, I believe.

That or FSS is just being nice and changing it to the departure time for me. ;)

In reality, there's no need to be that accurate. No one's coming looking for at least a couple hours after you don't arrive, and phone calls, ramp checks, and other activity is done during that time, including calling your contact number...

In reality, there's no need to be that accurate. No one's coming looking for at least a couple hours after you don't arrive, and phone calls, ramp checks, and other activity is done during that time, including calling your contact number...

Don't I know it. It was almost exactly a year ago I had gone off to a HOA meeting and when I got back one of my house guests (who is a pilot) says "The FAA called."

What did they want?

I don't know I didn't answer it, I saw it on your caller ID.

Great. Turns out that one of the other residents neglected to close his VFR plan. The airport number rings my house. I forgot about that.

Back