DUAT Providers

obelix

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
obelix
Who is your favorite DUAT provider and why? Trying to figure out why there are several free ones out there, why not just go directly to the FAA to file them. Why the middle men?

The FAA does not provide the flight planning services, nor do they store your flight planning data so that it can be shown that you did or did not get an official briefing and to help find you if you turn up missing - they originally subcontracted that stuff to DTC (DUAT) and CSC(DUATS). Now DTC is out and your choices are CSC or Lockheed-Martin. Other "suppliers" piggy back on one of those.

I used to use DTC DUAT and now I use Loc-Mart.

Last edited:
I use CSC out of habit more than anything else as I chose them back in the day and have just stuck with them. One of these days I'll probably switch to something else but I'm lazy in that regard.

Although I like LockMart, I have recently been introduced to FltPlan, which takes all of the planning out of planning: Departure airport and time; Destination airport; Souls and fuel on board; altitude: "Create Flight Plan." Of course you must have a pilot and airplane profile on file, but that is a one-time thing. You file through them. And it's free.

Bob Gardner

I had been using FltPlan for planning and filing, but DTC Duat for an on the record briefing. With their demise I am trying LM and CSC, but am not comfortable with either. I find LM to be too demanding of bandwith for the online service availabe at many locations, and CSC to be lacking key features. One being a graphical display of TFRs and another being no display of the intended route on a chart.

So for now I am using LM at home and calls to FSS on the road.

Duats is the only one contracted anymore and supported by FF now as well I believe.

Fltplan, it's great for getting wx, great for figuring times and fuel burns (actually the best I've found), all the pros I know use it.

Fltplan, it's great for getting wx, great for figuring times and fuel burns (actually the best I've found), all the pros I know use it.

Yes, it's great. Also I believe they keep a record of your briefing should you ever need "proof".

Now DTC is out and your choices are CSC or Lockheed-Martin. Other "suppliers" piggy back on one of those.

Untrue. CSC and LM (formerly DTC) are the two FREE ones. Other providers can either leach off these or PAY for their own access to the information.

Yes, it's great. Also I believe they keep a record of your briefing should you ever need "proof".

Indeed!

If you look under settings at your pilot profile you'll see it also asks for your CSC login info for VFR ops.

I've been using fltplan forever, it also happens to be one of a handful of providers listed in our Co's GOM approved wx providers

Although I like LockMart, I have recently been introduced to FltPlan, which takes all of the planning out of planning: Departure airport and time; Destination airport; Souls and fuel on board; altitude: "Create Flight Plan." Of course you must have a pilot and airplane profile on file, but that is a one-time thing. You file through them. And it's free.

Bob Gardner

Heck the default altitude it picks for most flights is spot on anyway, I'd say I only have to adjust the altitude once every ten times or so.

I use WeatherMeister which files via DUATS.

I like their briefing layout and it stores my pilot info, three aircraft, and 10 custom routes. They also store the briefing "proof"

All at a reasonable price (all things considered)

I prefer using ForeFlight with Lockheed Martin. I have Verizon cellular and can brief, file, amend, activate, close, or cancel from the cockpit.

There are many providers of flightplan services, not all are free. DUATS providers contract with the FAA, but others may send flightplans directly to ATC or in the case of VFR flightplans, they send them to the FSS which in the CONUS is operated by Lockheed Martin. In Alaska, the FAA operates the FSS. Only sufficient information is sent to the relevant FSS to be able to determine if a flight is overdue and to be able to activate and close a flightplan. If a SAR operation is required, or route information is needed, the FSS facility will retrieve the route and other data from the outfit that holds the flightplan details. For IFR flightplans, they are routed to the appropriate Center, but again much of the information is not transmitted and if needed must be retrieved by ATC from the outfit that initiated the flightplan and holds the detail data. An example is the alternate airport is not transmitted to the ATC computer, so the controller does not have a clue what it is.

Back