Dual XGPS150A - no longer able to fix location

nj-pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
josh_me
Has anyone else seen this behavior? The XGPS150A can see as many as 11 satellites, but it cannot locate a fix (cannot establish a location). I've been using it for 2 years with my iPad (running ForeFlight), but suddenly this weekend no bueno.

I've tried updating the firmware, power-cycling both it and the iPad, and recharging.

I guess for $90 I shouldn't expect much more than a couple of years out of it, but curious if anyone else has seen similar issues with it? Is the Bad Elf or Garmin GLO any better / more reliable?

I have similar issues with mine. Bought it used and it worked great for a few months. Now does just as you describe. I don't have a solution other than to stick it on top of the glare shield until it gets a fix. I also found that some app needed to be actively using the position to get and keep a fix.

In case it happens to anyone else, here's how I fixed it:
  1. With the power on, on the GPS, slide the switch to the other position, wait three seconds, slide the switch back to apple (XGPS150 only)

2. Power off the XGPS

3. On iPad, go into Settings > Privacy > Location Services, Turn off location

4. Power off iPad

5. Turn iPad back on, go into Settings > Privacy > Location Services, Turn on location

6. If you have the XGPS listed under Bluetooth, please forget this device

7. Turn on the XGPS

8. Connect through Bluetooth

Back