Dual Sport M/C

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
These have my attention, for a carry on the hitch on the Motorhome, they are street legal, capable fo a mild trail bike. And as noted hold their value very well.

6564876735.html

I can buy at $4350 new, all warrantees and serviced.

The question is, are they really any good or are they a maintenance headache ?

Love those bikes. Parents had two of them. No gotchas on Mx that I am aware of.

Simple, reliable, well supported with aftermarket parts for common problems; CDI & stator were a common problem a few years back.

If your getting them as new old stock without an in-service date you’ll also have a warranty to go with.

I hear they're good machines, but don't have any experience with one besides riding one in the pits at motorcycle track days. Stable, low, light, easy. Run it dry every time and you'll be fine (fuel valve).

Owned a DR-Z, and have ridden the DR-650, and a WRX250R (all supermotos).

What do you weigh?

That's only a 200, I'm a buck seventy, I'd rock that on a beach but I wouldn't take it on a road with that small engine.

For that price you should be able to find a 400 or better Yamaha or Honda dual sport.

What do you weigh?

That's only a 200, I'm a buck seventy, I'd rock that on a beach but I wouldn't take it on a road with that small engine.

For that price you should be able to find a 400 or better Yamaha or Honda dual sport.
It would be for around town, errands, or for an occasional dirt road east of the mountains in the national forest.
I don't want another big bike. to load on a hitch carrier. the jeep is restricted to 200 #
I'm 170 +-

At 170 if you're not going to have the go over 40mph 200 is..ok

But over 40 at 170lbs, it's just not going to be the tool for the job

Passing cars on a bike is one thing, getting passed is a whole nother and way less safe.

My little TW, with me at about 185 lbs, does 65-70 mph on the flat wide open.

As mentioned in my link, hills can slow it down a bit.

Around town, running errands, nice country roads and fire/logging trails are where it shines.

This kinda stuff is fun, just puttering around:

36614450713_45c6ffb4a4_z.jpg

Two drawbacks:

1) Limited fuel capacity, at 1.8 gals. Then again it gets 60 to 70 mpg, so reserve comes up at around 90 to 95 miles. I carry a couple fuel bottles, others install a larger tank.

2) Suspension is pretty primitive off-road. Of course, I was coming off a KTM with WP shocks that could float over most anything, if set right. Not a fair comparison, since the KTM is at least triple the price.

Anyway “TDub” owners have their own forum, where I’m also a member: http://tw200forum.com/

If anyone wants to make it by Lenoir City, TN, you’re welcome to try out my little TDub.

At 170 if you're not going to have the go over 40mph 200 is..ok

But over 40 at 170lbs, it's just not going to be the tool for the job

Passing cars on a bike is one thing, getting passed is a whole nother and way less safe.
This isn't a case of more power is better.

If your getting them as new old stock without an in-service date you’ll also have a warranty to go with.
This promo is on bikes that were used in M/C training, they have 100 +- miles on them, They are sold as new with full warrantee.

This promo is on bikes that were used in M/C training, they have 100 +- miles on them, They are sold as new with full warrantee.

I paid about that for a new 2017 about 6 months ago in Blue Ridge, GA. $4,399 IIRC., which was $200 off list. Others have reported better deals than that.

2018’s are again unchanged, but I like the color combo a lot:

fd15e3e8-b396-4380-868c-65348ce0cd41.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed, the seat isn't super comfortable.
Never mind, I was thinking of a different bike.

The seat is kinda flat and kinda hard, but not that bad really. At least 2 hours at a time is manageable.

Worst for me is the crowned saddles often found on dirt bikes. I think the condition they precipitate for me is often referred to as “numb nuts”.

Blasphemy!

Over on the TW200 forum there are lots of threads about wish lists for some future TDub.

More displacement, fuel injection, more fuel capacity and better suspension top the list, but Yamaha seems content to keep cranking out a decades-old design - and many, like me, kinda like the simplicity. Not a whole bunch to go wrong, and straightforward to fix when something does.

Still, something like a TW350 with the above improvements would be awfully cool!

One other bike to mention, but may be a bit too big/tall is the venerable KLR650. The world is awash in plenty of used serviceable examples for $3500 or less, and most with some extra farkles at that price. Reliable, and enough poke for the highway.

One other bike to mention, but may be a bit too big/tall is the venerable KLR650. The world is awash in plenty of used serviceable examples for $3500 or less, and most with some extra farkles at that price. Reliable, and enough poke for the highway.
Remember I must load my bike on to a hitch carrier So I don't want a heavy or big bike.

Over on the TW200 forum there are lots of threads about wish lists for some future TDub.

More displacement, fuel injection, more fuel capacity and better suspension top the list, but Yamaha seems content to keep cranking out a decades-old design - and many, like me, kinda like the simplicity. Not a whole bunch to go wrong, and straightforward to fix when something does.

Still, something like a TW350 with the above improvements would be awfully cool!

All those wishes sound like reasons people should have bought a bigger bike to begin with, but they're now stuck with what they have. ;)

Pretty much all the current model Japanese dual sport motorcycles are antiques and in my opinion, heavy and low on power. I suspect the manufacturers continue to build what they are because the demand hasn't really fallen off for them and why change things if they can still make money off the same tired old models? They're inexpensive, which is appealing to me, but that's where the appeal really stops.

My next dual sport will likely be a KTM, or maybe a Beta. Those are the only two options I'm aware of that are light and have decent power. It comes with a price tag though.

Shopping comparing today, the choices
1. 2017 TW200 with 58 miles on discount @ $4731.53 out the door. (Tax and license included)
2. 2018 TW200 with 0 miles $6548.53 (T&L included)
3. 2018 Kawasaki KLX 250 new $5890 (T&L included)
4. https://skagit.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-tw/6564876735.html

For $6500 you can buy a lot more (brand new) dual sport than a TW200. No way I'd pay that much for a brand new one.

Of the choices, I'd be most interested in option #3, followed by option #1, then option #4. Option #2 wouldn't even be on my personal radar.

If the KLX 250 is on the list why not consider a WR250?

If the KLX 250 is on the list why not consider a WR250?

Because both are more dirt bike than running errands bikes and I rather not pay that much for a bike.

MSRP for the following:

DR650 $6549
DRZ400 $6699
DR200 $4500
WR250 $6699
KLR650 $6699

I don't think I'd have any problem walking into my local dealer and taking any of the motorcycles I listed home for those figures. If you shop around/online you can sometimes do better too, my dad just bought a brand new KLR650 with warranty for $5500. Why would you want a lesser bike for the same kind of cash? Especially when the KLX, WR, and DRZ are all about the same weight as the TW200, which appears to be one of your primary criteria for whatever bike you buy.

If you're set on the TW I'd buy one of the cheaper ones you listed, like I suggested before.

Tom needs light weight as he’s self loading the bike on a hitch carrier on the back of his Jeep, which is behind his motor home. Tough situation to be in.

Tom, does this bike need to be able to two up? Is highway speed needed, or around town speed?

Still thinking used Grom.

Where are they that expensive???

MSRP is $4,599, and as I said, dealers may negotiate from that price.
4590 base price + $478. dealer prep/freight, + tax $430.75, +DOL fee $99.75 + $50 title transfer fee.
2017 = $4737.53 no dealer prep, DOL fee, or freight, and lower tax.

Tom needs light weight as he’s self loading the bike on a hitch carrier on the back of his Jeep, which is behind his motor home. Tough situation to be in.

Tom, does this bike need to be able to two up? Is highway speed needed, or around town speed?

Still thinking used Grom.

The Grom is probably the best choice. It appears to be 50 lbs lighter than the TW, and probably 60-70 less than the other options I suggested.

They look kind of fun too.

Come down to N GA, buy one and ride it home!

I can find out the best price at Blue Ridge Yamaha, if you like.

As an aside, I think MSRP includes normal setup. Freight may differ, but coming from Japan, WA is closer than GA.

Let me check my bill of sale.

Checked. $4,399 out the door. No dealer prep or freight. That was the amount of the check I wrote.

I did have to fork over $345.93 to GA to register it.

$18 title fee
$20 standard tag fee
$307.93 ad valorem (sales) tax

I’d definitely shop around, in not here in GA, at least in surrounding states.

Checked. $4,399 out the door. No dealer prep or freight. That was the amount of the check I wrote.

I did have to fork over $345.93 to GA to register it.

$18 title fee
$20 standard tag fee
$307.93 ad valorem (sales) tax

I’d definitely shop around, in not here in GA, at least in surrounding states.
Kinda long drive to save a couple hundred bucks.

Back