dtuuri

dtuuri

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
dtuuri
Friday, I hit the big 7-oh and last week I renewed my CFI license again. This time I'm determined to actually use it before it expires, BASICMED permitting. There's some work to be done first (boning up on some technologies), which takes up valuable time.

"I'm sorry," to those who my posts have offended, but you can be assured they were all meant in good humor even if they didn't come across that way.

If someone would like help in understanding something--from my perspective as an ex-DPE, etc., I will gladly respond privately or you can contact me at www.AvClicks.com

Or come to my house :) -- I've never hidden my identity nor locality.

Or you can bump this thread, which I'll do as time permits if I've something to say. Here, like in Lake Wobegon, all my posts are good-natured and the man is good-looking. ;)

Safe flying to all and, except for this thread now and then, bye-bye!

Dave Tuuri

I, um, well, happy b-day is about all I can add to this thread.

Oh btw, Thursday, I got a call from a delightfully nice lady who works for the FAA. She's a former DPE, too, and she's been around about as long as me, apparently. She was responding to my email regarding the segmented circle issue. She's involved with writing the Airplane Flying Handbook as well. She said, "You are absolutely correct!" She liked my arrows idea, too, for fixing the problem:
New symbol r2.jpg
We'll see what happens in the next edition of the AFH..

Happy B'day. My dad listened to Lake Wobegon, I always thought it was torture... :)

Tim

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

PoA is like Wobegon in one respect.... all of the children are above average. :)

Happy B'day. My dad listened to Lake Wobegon, I always thought it was torture... :)

Tim

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

PoA is like Wobegon in one respect.... all of the children are above average. :)

Heh, heh. My favorite was the "true story" (http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/26/books/chapters/in-search-of-lake-wobegon.html) of why the lake isn't found on any map. Can't find a recording online though. Here's the short version:

By GARRISON KEILLOR

IF anyone asked why the town appeared on no maps, I explained that, when the state map was drawn after the Civil War, teams of surveyors worked their way in from the four outer corners and, arriving at the center, found they had surveyed more of Minnesota than there was room for between Wisconsin and the Dakotas, and so the corners had to be overlapped in the middle, and Lake Wobegon wound up on the bottom flap.
dtuuri

I see the beat goes on in the thread about "leaving a clearance limit". The advice is so convoluted, I really feel for the OP.

The root of the problem is this: ATC has a coast to coast universe, so to ATC a "clearance limit" is the end of any assigned route short of their universe. The flight is "limited" at that point whether referring to a fix or an airport.

The pilot has a smaller universe. The destination airport is not a "limit" to the pilot, it's the pilot's objective. Holding at a place short of the objective is a pilot's "limit". Not recognizing this subtle duality in meaning is what causes the endless debate and confusion. Part 91.185 is written for pilots. No need to invoke 91.3 if you read the rule with that in mind.

Good luck, OP.

Didn't expect to be back so quick, but prepare for your landings to get more complicated. The FAA, the ones who brought you SRM, ADM, five hazardous attitudes and PAVE, is now bringing you "last chance to go around point". Of course their nomenclature is more abstract--"CTSP". It's in InFO 17009. Responding to a "suggestion" by the NTSB to study the issue, they respond:

"However, operational factors are too numerous and varied to establish a single committed-to-stop point. The FAA believes operators are in the best position to make this determination for their operation and type aircraft."​

I predict it won't be long before landings are more cerebral for everybody. What happened to the good ol' rule of thumb where you need to touch down at minimum- control airspeed within the first third of the runway? Ought to apply to just about all aircraft, I'd think, J-3 or Airbus.

dtuuri

Didn't expect to be back so quick, but prepare for your landings to get more complicated. The FAA, the ones who brought you SRM, ADM, five hazardous attitudes, PAVE, is now bringing you "last chance to go around point". Of course their nomenclature is more abstract "CTSP"--It's in InFO 17009. Responding to a "suggestion" by the NTSB to study the issue, they respond:

"However, operational factors are too numerous and varied to establish a single committed-to-stop point. The FAA believes operators are in the best position to make this determination for their operation and type aircraft."​

I predict it won't be long before landings are more cerebral for everybody. What happened to the good ol' rule of thumb where you need to touch down at minimum- control airspeed within the first third of the runway? Ought to apply to just about all aircraft, I'd think, J-3 or Airbus.

dtuuri

Ha... I saw that InFO released today and thought... "So we're going to have a partial-accelerate/stop distance made up by everyone straight out of their butts now..."

Back