DTO Tower Controller and Pilot Argue On-the-Air

Note that in addition to ASRS, if you encounter a situation that is unsafe, for whatever reason, you can report it to the FAA via their hotline:

Note that anonymity isn't quite the same as ASRS, but if you "see something, say something". I had a recent "close encounter of the aluminum kind" that I reported. After sorting through with ATC what happened, the best we can figure out is that someone was reporting the wrong altitude and cut through the traffic pattern of the airport. I don't know if they were able to track the other plane down to notify them of their deviation.

"She does sound like a controller who should be at a Marine base, where the guys are used to such verbal abuse, and occasionally return it off post........."

I highly doubt USMC controllers are dishing out verbal abuse to commissioned officer pilots. Precise, deliberate instructions should not be confused with abuse.

Matter of fact, I have a few Marine C-130s here that flew over the holiday weekend. I must say that they were a pleasant contrast in skill and communication than the base assigned Air Force C-130 knuckleheads I normally deal with.

Wallboy, you missed my second post on the subject.

Copied here

"She does sound like a controller who should be at a Marine base, where the guys are used to such verbal abuse, and occasionally return it off post........."

The Marines are somewhat famous for verbal abuse in basic training, but lack of acceptance of it when not deserved. At MCAS Cherry Point, I think this controller would last about a week. I have also flown in MCAS Cherry Point airspace, they were polite and precise.

addition... I have dealt with Military Controllers from all branches except Coast Guard, and they are excellent. No branch of the services would tolerate that controller, but the military response to her tirades would be good for her. addition ended

I could also tell a story of a Marine NCO who abused his privileges by requiring one of his most trivial underlings with an illegal personal favor, wash and wax a Jaguar XK 120 coupe, with the private to provide his own soap, rags, and Simonize. The details are complex, but the cost to the NCO was substantial. And long lasting. :crazy:

Last edited: Yesterday at 10:26 AM

I’ve actually seen a few good overheads from Marine C-130s. This is AF though. :(

C-130 overheads are a daily occurrence for me..as well as unusual requests for opposite runway instrument approaches, lights out approaches and often times, ignoring tower instructions, making 180 degree turns in the pattern with other aircraft present, trying to fly without a flight plan, etc.

I’m not a fan of C-130s

They was a flight, sounded like 3. The KC130's at Nam Phong used to do that. I've seen a flight of 4 do it.
When I was growing up next to Kirtland AFB in the early 60s, watching century series fighter groups performing overhead breaks was the impetus for me to fly. My mind's eye can still see them flashing in the sun.

Back