Drunk U.S. F.O. arraigned in U.K.

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I wonder what he'll say when they ask why he just simply didn't call.....

Seems to me that, not having been there to see what actually happened, and not knowing in my soul what he intended, I'll defer judgment.

He could be telling the truth, you know.

Seems to me that, not having been there to see what actually happened, and not knowing in my soul what he intended, I'll defer judgment.

He could be telling the truth, you know.
I thought pilots only tell the truth when sitting around the hangar on a rainy day? :)

I'll wait and see on this one. The tabloids like to make mincemeat of those privileged types.

I thought pilots only tell the truth when sitting around the hangar on a rainy day? :)

I'll wait and see on this one. The tabloids like to make mincemeat of those privileged types.

Is that like pilots talking about how many hours in their log books Kenny?

So I've heard :)

Finally read this, yep in uniform
But when he went to go through a security gate for flight crew in his pilots uniform he could not find his identification security pass.
I have zero tolerance for drink drivers and pilots. If he drank too much he should have called in, but considering he KNEW he was flying and still drank a lot I really question his judgment skills.

Finally read this, yep in uniform I have zero tolerance for drink drivers and pilots. If he drank too much he should have called in, but considering he KNEW he was flying and still drank a lot I really question his judgment skills.
I wonder how many you had before you wrote this but I'll go along with your intended premise. :D

Well if you read all the way through he may not be completely free and clear
Mr Yates, of Columbus, Ohio, may yet face internal disciplinary action.
A spokesman for American Airlines, based in Chicago, said: “We are pleased that the full details of the case have now been heard and that the jury have found James Yates was not guilty of the charges brought. He continues to be on a leave of absence from the company and upon his return from that leave the company will discuss with him his continued employment. These are private discussions and we will not comment further on the outcome
Seems like AA (airlines not the anonymous version of the acronym) may still have something to say.

Well if you read all the way through he may not be completely free and clear

Seems like AA (airlines not the anonymous version of the acronym) may still have something to say.
Their version of "dereliction of duty"? Seems a stretch if he was cleared of any intentional wrongdoing.

Point is, he did not commit a crime. This matters a lot (or I presume it does, to the man involved).

What's between him and the FAA or AA, is... between him and the FAA and AA.

Their version of "dereliction of duty"? Seems a stretch if he was cleared of any intentional wrongdoing.

Getting drunk the night before you flight may not be a crime but it did cause the plane to not make it to it's destination on time, cost the airlines money, and of course their is the appearance that the AA pilots are irresponsible. There is a corporate code of conduct that will have to be reviewed to determine if there were violations

His Ex-wife said he would do strange things "in his sleep". His *ex* wife. Who was he doing in his sleep? ;)

Though seriously, I think its very plausible that he was showing up to inform the captain that he was unfit to fly. Corporate disciplinary action may be called for, but criminal charges? Don't think so. Now if there had been witness saying he was showing up intending to fly, that would be different...

I loved this quote:
During the trial, senior American Airlines executives gave evidence in Mr Yates’s defence. When the prosecution told Captain John Burton III, the airline’s chief pilot, that Mr Yates was not sick, but was, in fact, drunk, he replied: “I would consider that sick.”

An even better excuse! I was drunk, but only because I took a sedative after drinking which made me get up while I was asleep and drink!

Last edited:
An even better excuse! I was drunk, but only because I took a sedative after drinking which made me get up while I was asleep and drink!

I had a thought: Is the SEDATIVE approved?

Needless to say, this guy is still in a heap o' trouble!

Last edited:
Back